The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I stared watching Coherence and I hated the style of film making so much that I shut it off after 15 minutes.
Personally, I liked its maverick low-budget look and feel very much. To each his own, I guess. But I thought it made up for a small budget with a great deal of cleverness.

GOD YES PLEASE BE TRUE

WHERE IS THE CARRUTH
Well, hello fellow Carruth fanperson. I do not despair to see one movie of his on the list, given that many MoFos would have at least considered him in their picks.

I missed out the last two days. I have never heard of Predestination. I have seen Akira but I did not vote for it. I love The Ghostbusters, but I felt it was more comedy then Sci Fi so I did not vote for it either. I have seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but not the 70's version.

4. The Avengers (2012)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
20. Escape from New York (1981)

My List: 3
Seen: 33/46

Body Snatchers, I have just seen the original which I liked

Ghostbusters, I've just seen it once a couple years ago and didn't care for it. It might deserve a rewatch though.

Predestination, I really liked that one, it might have made my list if it was a top 35, a suggestion of Derek Vinyard.

Akira, another I absolutely love, but didn't make my list. I prefer the manga to the movie though.

Personally, I liked its[Coherence] maverick low-budget look and feel very much. To each his own, I guess. But I thought it made up for a small budget with a great deal of cleverness...
I actually do really like small budget indie films, but I couldn't get past the opening dinner party scene. It might be a great movie, and I might check it out sometime in the future.

None of the past films have been on my list but Predestination was one of the last films I considered but ultimately left off my list but I really liked that movie. It was quite a surprise. Ethan Hawke and the rest of the cast are great. May get hate for this but I was never a fan of Ghostbusters so it wasn't gonna be on my list. Body Snatchers is one I've been meaning to watch for a while.

My list so far

2. Donnie Darko (2001) [#83]

5. The Man from Earth (2007) [#91]

7. The Prestige (2006) [#72]

10. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) [#79]

14. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) [#68]

I stared watching Coherence and I hated the style of film making so much that I shut it off after 15 minutes.
Please have patience, my dear CR.

I didn't hate the style, but I did find it weird and slightly off-putting. But I just though "hey" and kept watching. And I'm glad I did.

But I can't predict if it's a movie you'll like or not. But watch it.

81. Strange Days (1995, Kathryn Bigelow) [62]
64. Ghost in the Shell (1995, Mamoru Oshii) [83]
Augh! So low.

Welcome to the human race...
Predestination was alright, though I don't think it was anything too special. It might be the best Spierig brothers film to date, though it doesn't have much competition. Quite surprised to see it pop up here.

Akira was my #2 and part of my all-time top 10. Needless to say, I think it's very good.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

6. Altered States (1980)

10. Minority Report (2002)

Well, I'd been aware of Predestination when it was released, but I somehow forgot all about it. I saw Akira a long time ago and loved it but didn't include it.

List so far:
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is an excellent movie with a creppy dystopic atmosphere. I rate it
, but it didnt make my list.

Akira is one of my alltime favorite movies and probably the movie i have seen the most times as a teenager. Absolutely love it. Also the soundtrack is an experimental killer! It was my #4 and i rate it

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked Predestination a lot, and I wanted to include it on my list, but I just couldn't find room for it. I'm glad it made the list without my help.

I watched Akira recently for the Animated Film Tournament, but I didn't like it.

Seen: 38-1/2 out of 46
My list: 4 so far

13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

Unregistered User
GOD YES PLEASE BE TRUE

WHERE IS THE CARRUTH

'You cant handle the Carruth!'

Anyway, out of the recent ones, I thought Ghostbusters and Akira would both be higher. Watched Predestination in prep for this countdown and although it didn't make it, it was an enjoyable watch.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Starship Troopers

First 100 pointer! Wasn't tied with anything though.

Layout: 2nd, 4th (x2), 11th, 13th, 23rd, 24th,

Videodrome

Videodrome was tied with another film in both points and lists. The other film however, was placed higher on a list, so Videodrome lost the tiebreaker.

Layout: 6th, 8th (x2), 11th, 14th, 16th, 20th, 21st