The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
that is kind of a toss up on whether you'd like it or not, CR. There are some light hearted moments and one particular sad moment you may enjoy, so I can not honestly say it is up your alley regardless of how much I, personally, enjoy it.

Another film from my list, finally!

11. Avatar (#80)
15. Dune (#99)
23. Serenity (#59)
24. Strange Days (#81)

I completely forgot about The Martian. It would have been on my list if I had remembered. Oh, well.

I am very happy to see The Martian show up. It was a great movie and it was one of my top movies of that year, but I did not vote for it. I have two other Ridley Scott sci-fi movies on my list though.

Serenity I completely forgot to put on my list. If I had not rushed my list out it would have been high on my list. I can't believe I forgot it.

4. The Avengers (2012)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
20. Escape from New York (1981)

My List: 3
Seen: 31/42

I liked The Martian a good amount but thought it started to drag.

I didn't care much for Serenity, saw it recently and already forget it.
I must have mixed Serenity up with something else because I haven't seen it. I knew about it so it will probably end up being the biggest oversight I had while watching movies for this countdown.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I was just thinking (it's something I occasionally like to try); we're now 42 films into the list and we've still not had a single entry from the Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien, Mad Max, Terminator or Planet of the Apes franchises. In fact the only big sci-fi franchise that's been represented I think has been Back to the Future. I'm guessing that means that none of the lesser entries of those franchises are going to make it. Had something like a Phantom Menace, Terminator 3 or Alien 3 been going to sneak in I think it would have been in the very early spots.

Also how are people's predictions holding up in terms of how many of their films would make it? A week or two back I thought there was one film that no chance and another 3 or 4 I was unsure of. However given some of the big, popular films that have now shown up (Guardians of the Galaxy, District 9, Men in Black, The Martian etc) I'm becoming less optimistic. I now think there are at least 3 films, possibly 4, that definitely won't feature

Anyway for our next two films I'm going to guess at Independence Day and Dark City.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked The Martian, but it's not a favorite movie, so it didn't make my list.

I thought Serenity made my list, but I just checked, and it was cut in one of the last rounds of cuts. (But it did make my Top 25 Action Movies list at #9.) I'm very happy to see it make this countdown.

Seen: 34-1/2 out of 42
My list: 4 so far

13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

I was just thinking (it's something I occasionally like to try)' we're now 42 films into the list and we've still not had a single entry from the Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien, Mad Max, Terminator or Planet of the Apes franchises. In fact the only big sci-fi franchise that's been represented I think has been Back to the Future. I'm guessing that means that none of the lesser entries of those franchises are going to make it. Had something like a Phantom Menace, Terminator 3 or Alien 3 been going to sneak in I think it would have been in the very early spots.

Also how are people's predictions holding up in terms of how many of their films would make it? A week or two back I thought there was one film that no chance and another 3 or 4 I was unsure of. However given some of the big, popular films that have now shown up (Guardians of the Galaxy, District 9, Men in Black, The Martian etc) I'm becoming less optimistic. I now think there are at least 3 films, possibly 4, that definitely won't feature

Anyway for our next two films I'm going to guess at Independence Day and Dark City.

I'm just hoping for less comic book movies or this list will just end up the same as the MoFo Comics List

There's a lot more sci-fi out there than just going for Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Batman and The Avengers all the time.
Hell, even on my own list I omitted superheroes altogether, and even binned Star Wars and Star Trek as well.

Welcome to the human race...
I find The Martian to be a very middle-of-the-road piece of work. Not without its merits, sure, but the prospect of watching it again is a daunting one.

I remember liking Serenity (and, by extension, Firefly), but I don't think I've watched it in about a decade or so and attempts to revisit either one haven't really panned out.

I still haven't seen The Martian yet but I loved Serenity and Firefly which came before it. I wasn't fan enough to be a Browncoat (rabid Firefly fan) but I certainly was sad to see the series cancelled and thus overjoyed to see the movie follow. Serenity is one of those I think I mentioned earlier that I forgot completely about when putting this list together. One of those that I just hit myself over the head for forgetting. I'm going to have quite a handful of bumps before this countdown is over.

List so far:
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

I don't get the Guardians of the Galaxy love, could someone enlighten me please?
For me it was an okay movie, but the humor felt flat, the romantic felt force, and the villain was trivial. Nothing impressed me there. (If there was anything impressive, the 3 former faults can be easily forgotten.)

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Two more from my list. Fell in love with Firefly when I first watched it and was overjoyed when Serenity came out. Made my list at #8. Heard about The Martian maybe three weeks before theatrical release, saw that it ws based on a book and went and bought it. From the moment I sat down, just thinking I'd spend a few minutes reading the first chapter, I didn't move for six hours, not until I'd finished the book. Six weeks later I'd seen the movie three times. With a little perspective, I can see some of the flawes, but I still love it and it made my list at #6.

Seen 31/42

My List:
6. The Martian
7. Wreck-it Ralph
8. Serenity
18. Ghost in the Shell
20. Silent running
22. Guardians of the Galaxy

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Love Serenity, took me a long time to even realise there was a TV show prior to the movie. Number 13 on my list.

Love the Martian too, it would have been close to making my list.

Boldly going.
Should superhero films get their own list?

It was decided that superhero films would be a part of this list and so I did include them in my top 25, but I think they deserve their own genre and therefore their own list, in the same way that Westerns are often excluded from Action Films lists (including recent the MoFo Action Films list). Superhero films are often more fantasy than sci-fi, and they are different enough from most other sci-fi films. I think most people in casual conversation would not talk about War of the Worlds and Avengers in the same sentence, even though both movies are about alien invasions.

Yeah and it was a pain in the backside when I'd already started running it and then realised there was more to it than just a few movies based on comics.

Had to go through the depths of the internet and learn at an almost professional level on what constitutes as "a comic book movie".