Any actor better than Day-Lewis?

Tools    

Man i don't agree at all with Meryl Streep's astronomical reputation and i'm starting to wonder if people are just going by Oscar Noms whether they are deserved or not. She's a very good actress but i've never seen anything from her that suggests she should almost unanimously be seen as the best.
I wondered the same thing and came to the right conclusion think it's more about people desperately wanting to show how inclusive and progressive they are. A perceived sleight when a female name isn't mentioned in a thread... shout Meryl

I would throw my hat in for Brando, but I have seen him (Dr. Moreau) and Lewis (Nine) make some minor but questionable acting choices over the years. However, there are only a select few good/great actors that have avoided some of those pitfalls and one of the few names I could think of was Steve Buscemi, but perhaps that is a subject for another thread.

Next in line from Brando for me would be Gary Oldman, his performance in Tinker Tailor was some of the best acting I've seen in a long time.

Gene Hackman could hang with almost anyone. When he was on the screen you took notice. What a commanding badass. Sad he retired.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
Right now? Nobody.

Of all time?

Marlon Brando
Laurence Olivier
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Peter O'Toole