Ever thought a film was good but not wanted to watch it again?

Tools    

Have you ever watched a film and thought it was good, but not wanted to watch it again?

I watched Ikiru a couple of years ago. It was in the book I'm working through called '1,001 movies to see before you die' and while I liked the film (beautifully shot in b&w with great performances, especially from Takashi Shimura) the storyline was something I probably couldn't ever bring myself to watch again.

I was sucked into the story of this characters tragic circumstances and found it to be a rollercoaster ride of emotion. I have seen it in the TV listings since but whenever I see it I just can't bring myself to watch it.
I suppose that compliments the films strength of story, acting and atmosphere the film creates.

I love this topic...there is a short list of films that I have seen that I thought were very good films, but have zero re-watch appeal and I have no desire to ever watch them again...among them:

The Killing Fields
Cast Away
The Passion of the Christ
The Revenant

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Childlren of Men
The Road
Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Like Shatner, I.... Just---CAN'T, do it. anyMORE!! IT... is.

JUST!!

...too.... ... .. . .

*dramatically leans against a strategically staged plaster boulder; looking up, past my spotlight*

(much)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I felt this way with Pulp Fiction and Taxi Driver off the top of my head. They are pretty good, but I feel like I have taken in everything on the first viewing and never felt like watching them again.

Many, many times.

If I tried to make a list, I'd be here for days because there are so many. But two that immediately come to mind are Grave of the Fireflies and Whiplash.

Many, many times.

If I tried to make a list, I'd be here for days because there are so many. But two that immediately come to mind are Grave of the Fireflies and Whiplash.
Many for me as well, and Whiplash would be one of them.

This is weird but related - I used to buy movies I liked enough to own (originally on VHS then on DVD).
But I found that once I had them in my collection - I rarely really wanted to watch them again!

It's like because I knew I could watch it at any time... why watch it now when I could watch something I hadn't seen before instead? And the "any time" I could watch it would just never come around because at "any time" I'd just say, "Well, I have that on DVD so I can watch it at any OTHER time."

What would really irk me (about myself) is when I found myself stopping on a good part of a movie I'd seen before when it was on TV, and get caught up in watching it again (because I just happened to catch it playing)... knowing I had the movie on tape or disc right next to the TV!

Mostly, the only times I'd end up watching movies I owned would be if someone told me they'd never seen one of the movies in my collection, or if we were talking about a movie and they expressed interest in seeing it again - then it was handy to have it on hand to turn them on to it.

Have you ever watched a film and thought it was good, but not wanted to watch it again?
Yes! most of them. I don't really like watching films over, unless it's been so many years I can't remember the plot.

Yes! most of them. I don't really like watching films over, unless it's been so many years I can't remember the plot.
Honestly I find exactly the opposite, quite a high percentage of my viewing is made up of rewatching stuff I really love.

Dramatically intense films you obviously need to be in the right frame of mind to rewatch but I would say that if theres anything I enjoy but don't rewatch its more "cold and tragic" like say Hanke's work.

Requiem for a Dream
Agree on that one.

For 2019, Joker actually fits this description for me.

In to the Spider-verse was a really good Spider-man movie, after seeing it at the cinema I don't feel the urge to watch it again. I might pick it up on 4K if it's in a sale or offer, but even then I probably won't watch it in the near future

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I saw Saving Private Ryan one time and I never wanted to watch it again. Also, as much as I like Ghibli, I'm not exactly itching to rewatch The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

I watched Don't they shoot horses last night for the first time and although it was a great movie i don't plan on watching it again, it was draining to watch, also agree on Requiem for a Dream. Other good movies i probably won't watch are The Wrestler,The Machinist and Manchester by the Sea

This is weird but related - I used to buy movies I liked enough to own (originally on VHS then on DVD).
But I found that once I had them in my collection - I rarely really wanted to watch them again!

It's like because I knew I could watch it at any time... why watch it now when I could watch something I hadn't seen before instead?..."
Same effect here. Long before I found out about acquiring movies from the internet I had no way to see all the films I wanted to see, so I started buying DVD sets. At first I bought 3 different Humphrey Bogart DVD sets as it had films I'd never seen. Then I bought several Busby Berkeley DVD sets and never even watched all the movies on them. That was well over 10 years ago. Like Captain said, there's something about owning the movie that makes me not then care to watch it. Weird indeed and true!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The first movie that came to mind was Schindler's List (1993). I think it's one of the best movies that I've seen, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

It's like because I knew I could watch it at any time... why watch it now when I could watch something I hadn't seen before instead? And the "any time" I could watch it would just never come around because at "any time" I'd just say, "Well, I have that on DVD so I can watch it at any OTHER time."

What would really irk me (about myself) is when I found myself stopping on a good part of a movie I'd seen before when it was on TV, and get caught up in watching it again (because I just happened to catch it playing)... knowing I had the movie on tape or disc right next to the TV!

Mostly, the only times I'd end up watching movies I owned would be if someone told me they'd never seen one of the movies in my collection, or if we were talking about a movie and they expressed interest in seeing it again - then it was handy to have it on hand to turn them on to it.
Same effect here. Long before I found out about acquiring movies from the internet I had no way to see all the films I wanted to see, so I started buying DVD sets. At first I bought 3 different Humphrey Bogart DVD sets as it had films I'd never seen. Then I bought several Busby Berkeley DVD sets and never even watched all the movies on them. That was well over 10 years ago. Like Captain said, there's something about owning the movie that makes me not then care to watch it. Weird indeed and true!

I have so many DVDs, that I can't possibly watch them all in my lifetime, but there's something comforting about having the movie (or TV series) on DVD and being able to watch it whenever I want to, even if the DVD never actually sees the inside of my DVD player.

The trick is not minding
I generally watch the films I own at least twice if I can, and if I haven’t yet, it’s planned.
That said, if I don’t own it, I generally don’t rewatch it unless it was really enjoyable.
It’s not that I don’t want to, it’s that it comes down to how much time I have available.
There’s only so much time and so many films after all.