Mandy Discussion

Tools    

There is something going on in film today which I kind of refer to as "The Tyranny of Perfection", which is that on a craftsman level everything needs to be seen as utterly precise and perfect or seen as a failure. I kinda like rough edges on things you know? Sometimes I will just allow those to exist and I find those more beautiful in a way

Welcome to the human race...
"Oh, man. They wronged you."

My favourite film of the year so far.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
It's no Predator, that's for sure. Woulda been a lot better with a M-134 and some sexual Tyrannosaurusness.

It's definitely over-hyped by people who can't explain stuzz .

I need to see it alone this time, and with no beer. It isnt a party hang out movie. That was my misstep. I believe Ill still have my criticisms, but Im hoping I can dredg up more treasure this time.

I need to see it alone this time, and with no beer. It isnt a party hang out movie. That was my misstep. I believe Ill still have my criticisms, but Im hoping I can dredg up more treasure this time.
So true, I tried watching this movie in the wrong head space at the wrong time of day and couldn't do it... then I watched it really chill at midnight and I was totally absorbed

If I don't fall into RDR this weekend, I wanna do my first re-watch, note take, extras view and type a coherent sentence about the film.

"Sentence? A sentence?"

Baby steps my friends, baby steps

I hesitate to really post in here. Guess I'll try to be nice as I can so I don't get beat up too much. As I said in the shoutbox I thought this was pretty average. I'd give it a
. I watch a fair amount of movies and I turned Mandy off the first time I tried to watch it. It just wasn't doing "it" for me. After seeing so many talk about it tho, I finished it off the second time around and got about what I expected.

Iro got me thinking the other day tho when he brought up The Crow. I was thinking that maybe The Crow is my Mandy and that's just the way it is. Maybe I'm incapable of loving another revenge flick as much as I love The Crow. And now for some of you, Mandy is your The Crow. Which is cool I reckon.

I want to like Mandy. That was my position going in. I was super psyched, and had been looking forward to this movie for a little while. I cannot say that about a lot of more current films. My expectations were geared for soemthing different. After seeing it I was very obnoxious about my review, though, I may very well still be upset after round two. Can't say. But, because it started off so incredibly, and because I'm all about second chances (sometimes third - The Master), I'm looking forward to giving it another chance, now that I know it's not Evil Dead II/Army of Darkness/Nic Cage's most over the top performance ever by the visualist who gave us Beyond the Black Rainbow.

That's why yogi's always say expectations are killers of happiness. But we'll see how that philosophy holds up after I do a little cbd oil vape the next time, Ah said uh!

. But we'll see how that philosophy holds up after I do a little cbd oil vape the next time, Ah said uh!
Much better option than beer

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Second viewing and I ****ing loved it.
She gets it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Weird is relative.
I watched Mandy last month and really enjoyed it.
for me.
It reminded me that I've wanted to see Beyond the Black Rainbow for years but it just hasn't been available anywhere. Pity.

I love everything about this movie, is probably the best movie I've saw in ten years, not joking. I've saw it four times, and I don't want to watch it again, because I'm afraid it might lose it's magic. I can understand why people don't like it, I really do. I love the way it gradual increases the intensity of everything in it. The color palette, the metal opera, the explicit violence and the use of some short of "tranquilized insanity" like hypnotic. This movie is near perfection because it doesn't aim at perfection.

I hesitate to really post in here. Guess I'll try to be nice as I can so I don't get beat up too much. As I said in the shoutbox I thought this was pretty average. I'd give it a
. I watch a fair amount of movies and I turned Mandy off the first time I tried to watch it. It just wasn't doing "it" for me. After seeing so many talk about it tho, I finished it off the second time around and got about what I expected.

Iro got me thinking the other day tho when he brought up The Crow. I was thinking that maybe The Crow is my Mandy and that's just the way it is. Maybe I'm incapable of loving another revenge flick as much as I love The Crow. And now for some of you, Mandy is your The Crow. Which is cool I reckon.
The Crow was my Crow too. The time, my age, the mystery.

I won't discount me driving a long way to seeing Mandy. The whole Alamo Drafthouse aesthetic. Sound turned past 11. A near private showing. It will be hard to re-create that experience.

A lot of media opinions target the first hour and how it is almost disposable.

I love it and how it sets the stage. It offered me a respite before the frenzy you know is coming. A chance to soak in this world that is about to be turned upside-down.

The van scene is brought up as a glaring weakness. "There's a slack-jaw acolyte lowering and raising, lowering and raising, lowering/raising

The head toadie is beginning to seethe. In this moment his will can determine the fate of his group. He is in control of this one little moment instead of being under the thumb of Jeremiah.

*Sound the Horn*

The glass breaks and the balance of power is reversed. The moment you question your beliefs and regret the choice you have made. Realizing you were a pawn once again.

I can smell that scene. Maybe my life experiences allow me to relate to that scene too easily. I kinda feel like that's the right take tho.

For me it's the most overhyped mediocrity of the year this far.

I agree entirely. In fact, your words here are nearly my exact words in my Amazon review. I regretted watching this movie and loathed everything about it. I've been told that I don't like it because I "don't get it"...God I hope I never do.