The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
As part of my recent redig into kinect, just stumbled on this today. A leaked 2010 doc on the Kinect 2 / Xbox 720. The most intriguing suggestion, beyond the logical step of stereo detectors, and the possible use of glasses as part of hands-free gaming, is this...

'Augmented Reality Shades'

I can't quite fathom what they mean - but I guess it could be something like

Altho how that works for more than one person I'm not sure. I doubt they mean genuine projection from the stereo peripherals. More likely it's a supplementary image that exists only in each player's glasses - tailored via their head position etc, but appearing to be a shared 3D object to them, and in conjunction. Could be cool.

---

On a side note thought these brief comments by a Wreckateer creative were interesting. The game did have very responsive controls (it just happens not to be my cup of tea)

Most of the time when you're developing a game there are other points of reference to go look at. For example, if the aiming doesn't feel right in an FPS, a good designer can go play any of the hundreds of FPS's out there, deconstruct them, and figure out what they did.... This is what makes it challenging, but also exciting -- it's not every day you get to figure things out from scratch

...The only 'trick' we'd offer to other devs is... rely less on 'gestures,' as it's hard to teach the player the 'right way' to do any given movement... The most important thing is getting a steady stream of people who have never played the game before to try it out. It's amazing how many different ways simple commands like 'reach out and slap the shot to move it mid-air' can be interpreted. If your game is good, you will account for as many of those interpretations as possible, as opposed to trying to make the player do movements a certain way that might be unnatural to them."
This dev article also comes to similar-ish conclusions, and adds the pithy addendum...

Games demand player autonomy to be games. This is what fuels Ebert's 'Games can't be art' argument. You can handcraft the most exquisitely designed level of all time and a player can still stand in the corner for two hours and pretend to have sexual intercourse with a potted plant. You can try to minimize "wrong" ways of playing your game but eventually, you will have no control of the player's individual experience.
When a controller is involved, all of the player's choices have to be funneled into the game through the tiny plastic device in their hands. There is only one way to press X. However, there are about a million ways to throw a punch. In a motion controlled game, players can do ANYTHING. Trust me, I've seen it all in playtesting sessions. Including the player that punched in reverse, yanking his fist backwards every time. I still don't get that one.

I notice that PowerUp Heroes actually did quite well with the 'postures' & fixed gestures idea, mixed with more spontaneous kicking & punching, so there's still room for that 'prototype' style of input. Where it fell down was in only providing a slim set of core outcomes. The palette for gameplay exploration was pretty limited, but at least their was a satisfying crispness to the responses.

To have a feeling of autonomy within the game you definitely do want that swift response to your inputs - that feeling of being in control. Only after that is a spread of complex interactions desirable to make a 'hardcore' and full on great game. Kinect struggles with these things on two fronts - it's been slow to deliver on deft controls, and it has a built in expectation that you can interact with it using all the nuance and exuberance of real life.

I'm kinda glad they're getting closer to deft interactions, but it is a slight shame that they look likely to fixate on reducing a wide spread of gestures down to a simple set of outputs. Should be good news for platformy games in the interim, but I'm definitely still waiting for it to spread its wings a bit further. Seems a good bet that this gen is unlikely to make the hardcore leap.

---

/essay

Altho here's the wii hack imbedded, as a colourful postscript. (Any text I put after a vid seems to flow off the bottom of the post these days, so I've just stuck it down here)

&start=150

The People's Republic of Clogher
I wonder how far they'll go with this into the next console gen? My money's on Sony's version getting quietly dropped when the PS4 rolls out.

Aaaanyway: Skyrimz mod of teh week!

The stock animations are a bit wooden, aren't they? Not as bad as Oblivion and the Fallouts, granted, but hardly realistic.

This mod fixes that!

Don't believe me?

&feature=player_embedded#!

A system of cells interlinked
Still waddling around in 100 tons of DOOM!

I can't talk about the game, but I'll post my forum sig (copyright: me) for a hint!

Hey all ,

I have a weird problem I got a guitar hero guitar I think its the Metallica one(yeah it has Metallica written all over it) anyways I got the guitar and a game from work just to test it out but there are no cables for it and I dont know how to make my xbox recognize it I put batteries its flashing but nothing is happening and not sure how to search it on the internet, if anybody has the game and can give me any info on some kind of cables that i need would be great. You can PM me, thanks in advance

Has it got a sync button like the Xbox controllers? I've got a PS3 GH guitar but you just plug in the usb dongle.

Sale alert! Far Cry 1 & 2 on GOG for $10 and the classic Duke Nukem 3D for $2.99. Haven't played Far Cry in years (and Duke 3D in much longer).

Picked up Sleeping Dogs on Steam today - First full price game I've bought in quite a while. Great fun so far, a mix of GTA, Yakuza and Shenmue (which can't be bad ) with Hong Kong looking lovely and Blade Runner-y with all the neon in the rain at night.

Only gripe so far is the camera's insistence on auto-centring which means you can't admire the fantastic visuals as you wander along.

Picked up Sleeping Dogs on Steam today - First full price game I've bought in quite a while. Great fun so far, a mix of GTA, Yakuza and Shenmue (which can't be bad ) with Hong Kong looking lovely and Blade Runner-y with all the neon in the rain at night.

Only gripe so far is the camera's insistence on auto-centring which means you can't admire the fantastic visuals as you wander along.
I was going to say that game looks amazing. Auto-centering should be adjustable. Is there no way to turn it off? You are playing the PC version after all.

Nope, no way that I can see. I've seen a few people mention this already - Maybe it'll be patched in or modded. We live in hope.

It's a console game at heart but the PC port is pretty good - HD texture pack available from the start (take note, Bethesda ) and auto swapping for keyboard/mouse and controllers which should be great for the driving sections. The benchmark mode is also pretty handy and I don't know why more of the graphically intensive games don't include them.

That said, I'm getting 60fps with everything on High or Ultra.

Finished ME3 on Saturday, and I was just fine with the end, although i hear there are different endings. Yeah, it was a classic cop-out in some ways, but I sort of expected that, the way things were going. These days, when dealing with rogue AI, things sort of always lead to the same conclusion. *shrugs*

WARNING: "Mass Effect 3" spoilers below
So what? We get a literal Deus Ex Machina; people had to see it coming...I know I did. I cried at the end when my lil lady, Mya Shepard, passed on. I was hoping they would kill her off, sticking with the dark underpinnings of the series, while leaving room for more titles with a different character.

Now I am still playing The Game that Can't Be Talked About and I have started New Vegas for single player fun!

There must be a Fallout mood going around - I cranked up Fallout 3 yesterday and am playing through it with the Wanderer's Edition mod, which changes gameplay quite a bit. I'll probably get round to New Vegas with the Project Nevada mod next as it offers much the same ramped up difficulty and changes.

What I'm mainly playing though is Sleeping Dogs - It's my GOTY by quite a distance.

Rockstar are gonna have to pull out the stops to make GTA 5 anywhere near as tight.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Tacitus
I... had not heard of this game. But anything that's a cross between GTA and Shenmue is a must-play for me. And it seems it's getting great reviews across the board. Thanks.

I'd also like to try the Game of Thrones game that popped up a while back. I hear it's just so-so with some (potentially) frustrating combat and bland visuals. But all accounts are the story is great, and I'm pretty hung up on the Song of Ice and Fire series right now.

It's got great melee combat too, straight out of the Arkham Asylum school. Driving's not great (the only area where I prefer GTA 4) but it's functional enough.

Oh yeah, the other 'inspiration' comes from Infernal Affairs.

I guess you could say the game's a bit derivative but when things are this well done I don't mind.

Picked up Saint's Row The Third in the Steam sale and haven't played it yet. Can't help thinking it'll be a bit of a come down after Sleeping Dogs though...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've heard nothing but bad things from the Game of Thrones game.

Suspect's Reviews

In the Beginning...
Gamespot gave it a 7.0, EGM gave it a 6.5, Game Informer gave it a 6.0, and IGN gave it a 4.0 (!).

Reviews like these always perplex me, but I'm gonna guess a person's enjoyment will be contingent on (a) if he/she is already a fan of Game of Thrones, and (b) his/her relative tolerance for bug-ridden or frustrating games. I'm definitely a fan, and I cut my teeth on often-buggy Bethesda games, so maybe I can handle it? All signs point to a fantastic story, as long as you're willing to fight your way to it.

Still... probably not worth buying even at half-price. I'll nab it when it hits $20.

In the Beginning...
Hearthfire, new Skyrim DLC being released September 4. I remember seeing a few user-made mods for this, and it may have been one of Bethesda's "game jam" projects. Still pretty cool for the interior decorator in all of us.

&feature=share&list=UUvZHe-SP3xC7DdOk4Ri8QBw

Eh. Not sure how I feel about that. I like the Sims-esque concept, but I'm a little iffy on whether it'll fit well into Skyrim (Skysim? Simrim?). It's only 400msp though, so I'll probably pick it up.

Mass Effect III:

WARNING: "Mass Effect 3" spoilers below
After speaking to a couple other people and hearing about their ending, I was perplexed by mine, so I called up a quick guide that shows all (allegedly 7) different endings. The first thing I noticed is that I somehow managed to bypass making the final decision completely. At one point during the conversation, the catalyst gave me a choice of three things I could do to end the conflict:

1 - Seize control of the Reapers myself, forcing an end to the conflict

2 - Destroy the Reapers or

3 - Some hullabaloo about merging organics and synthetics together without their consent.

The trouble, and what I see as a major and completely ridiculous game-breaking flaw, is that I was able to choose a response "I don't like any of these choices - I refuse to choose" that immediately ended the conversation, showed me a short clip of a storyteller in the future, and rolled the credits, not showing me any of the endings at all. The conversation ended, Mya sat down next to Anderson, died, there is a flash to a mother and child in the future and the credits rolled. Huh?? I got a short video about an archive in the future, and an Asari woman telling a story about "The Shepard", and then credits. Is that the entire finale? What happened to the ship? My crew? EARTH???

The story the lady told sort of gave me the impression that we had lost the conflict and the cycle just ended up repeating, with everyone getting destroyed. At first, i thought it was bold that a developer would let the universe be destroyed and the hero die without saving Earth. That would take BALLS, but i am now thinking that isn't actually what happened, I just ended up getting either a bad ending, or not getting one at all. Pretty lame. Especially since I had maxed my gauge out, gotten 100% in all systems for exploration, and maxed Renegade to 100%.

Oh, whiskey tango foxtrot, someone kick me in the goat ass!

In the Beginning...
Welcome to the messed up ending of Mass Effect 3. I'm surprised you were given the fourth option, though; I don't recall that at all. No matter which you choose, though, it seems you're given shockingly little (or no) info about the fate of your crew, Earth, or anything else.

WARNING: "ME3" spoilers below
What will really blow your mind is
: that the conclusion events (after ascending to the Citadel) are not actually happening, and are instead the works of the Reapers attempting to indoctrinate Shepard. Although Bioware has claimed that the endings should be taken at face value, pay close attention to what happens if you choose to destroy the Reapers. Interesting video, for sure.

Reading on websites, I somehow managed to skip all the available endings. How can they let a game series end like that? To me, it's a game-breaking bug, and close to reason enough to swear off this developer for good. How can a game series like this one not have ANY ending at all? I just don't get it.. I mean, I'm sorry, but I don't think an argument can be made that I got any sort of ending at all.

WARNING: "ME3" spoilers below
Nothing got resolved, the conflict was raging just as it had been before this game was released, and I got to sit through another "architect" scene from the Matrix Reloaded.

What fun! Say, what was all that nonsense about galactic strength and all that? I had 100% in all systems and had the bar maxed out completely in galactic strength. You know what that did? NOTHING! Shepard shot the illusive man, and then sat down and stared out the ****ing window while ships battled. I didn't even get a CGI movie like most of the other endings seem to have.