The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Never been any good at drawering.
You don't have to be - this is what above-average pic looks like there...

That is 'Camel in disguise hopes no one realises'

But yeah, t'ain't for all tastes

@Newt: Drive through a building sah! Tactically tho - tactically... (taking out all 4 walls = bad )

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
You don't have to be - this is what above-average pic looks like there...

That is 'Camel in disguise hopes no one realises'

But yeah, t'ain't for all tastes

@Newt: Drive through a building sah! Tactically tho - tactically... (taking out all 4 walls = bad )
I love shooting the walls out of a building that an enemy has just gone into Something else I love doing is getting into a jeep and driving at the enemy at high speed getting roadkills.

I love your camel in disguise

The People's Republic of Clogher
Bit the bullet and changed my GPU.

Got a 560ti and, as the young people from 2007 would say, it's well 133t. My old 6870 is very similar in terms of the power it puts out but the 560ti has it well and truly licked in terms of finesse.

It outputs HD video at 24hz, for example, where the 6870 forced it to 60hz. It's a LOT quieter, even with two fans. It's got a proper game settings tweaking section and not the extremely basic offering that ATI's drivers have. It can do Ambient Occlusion, which is kinda nice if you like shadows.

Best of all, it all but eliminates the Skyrim micro-stutter so I've got no need for 3rd party frame rate limiters etc. It's funny, just changing the card and no other Skyrim settings, but the colours in the game are more muted and naturalistic. Shadows are also far less glitchy.

Lastly, Nvidia are doing some excellent tweak guides specifically tailored to their products: Link

Cliff Richard would have a 560ti, and if it's good enough for Cliff...

A system of cells interlinked
That card kicks so much ass. Very happy with mine, so far!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Played Star Wars Kinect, utter rubbish.

Suspect's Reviews

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Playing Mass Effect 2 for the first time. Gotta say, I had no idea what I was missing out on. This game is fantastic. I would've played the first game, but Microsoft doesn't want Sony's grubby little hands on their precious start to the franchise apparently lol.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Finally bought Arkham City (Ł9.99 on Steam) but that 16GB is taking forever to download. Thankfully I didn't buy it during one of the big Steam sales because download speeds slow to a crawl.

Still loving my 560ti.

The game takes up 16GB????? Must be reading you wrong. I've only got about 11GB left on my PS3. So many games from last year that I need to get. Always wait until they are dirt cheap. Uncharted 3, InFamous 2, Arkham City, Prototype 2, Red Dead Redemption. They should all be relatively cheap by now.

Playing multiple titles at the moment:

As usual, running my guild(s) in SWTOR....

Also playing Dragon Age : Origins for the PC. X-box version was shite; this version is gold.

Which brings me to me next title...Thanks Dragon Age! Thanks a whole hell of a lot! You are a fun game, and when i zoomed out to tactical view, you reminded me of what I consider to be one of the pinnacle RPGs of all time:

Baldur's Gate 2! In fact, you got me feeling so nostalgic for the old chestnut of a game, that I grabbed my discs and installed the more-than-a-decade-old game on my i52500k Win7 64 bit machine. The game went right in, no problem. I grabbed the widescreen mod and BG2Fixpack and I was in Jon Irenicus' dungeon about 10 minutes later, playing at 1920x1280..

A fewours later I have rerolled twice and run the dungeon a couple times to get back into the old-school systems. Finally, happy with my Half-orc Kensai, I am saved in Athkatla, about to do the city progression.

Here is a screenie of another infinity engine game that pre-dates BG2, Planescape Torment. Keep in mind, P:T originally played at a max res of 640x480. This mod does wonders, as I am playing BG2 at 1920x1280.

Planescape : Torment @ 1680x1050

I'm on the other side of Super Lent and got a big ol' tax refund. Gonna wait a few more weeks, but odds are by the end of June I'll be springing for a new power supply and graphics card and I'll be wanting to talk about all the cool games you guys were talking about months ago.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A few to mention...

The Last Of Us
Bioshock: Infinite
The Last Guardian (if it comes out)

and I wouldn't mind playing Max Payne 3 because I enjoyed the first two.

@ Mastermetal:

Most anticipated....

The Secret World (Funcom)

MMOs. Love them or hate them, they are Massively popular. The last decade could easily be called the decade of the MMO, as literally millions of players flooded the once-niche market. Alas, after more than 10 years of refining, MMOs have, for the most part, become fairly stale affairs. I play SWTOR and I find the story fresh and fun, but I can still level a few complaints at Bioware for sticking to the usual formulas when it comes to end game and to a certain extent, character development.

The Secret World is the first new MMO that actually looks to be trying to turn the genre on its ear. No more classes, no more levels, no more GEAR. None of the carrots MMOs usually dangle to keep people playing are present. So why will people play the game? This is a company that constantly talks about gameplay and fun-factor, exploration, and quests that aren't just "follow the blinking light on your map until you see a glowing X and then go visit Y."

Heralding back to the adventure games of old, players will need to explore the environment, find clues, solve mysteries, all in an effort to unlock what is actually going on. All this set on planet earth, today.

I am reminded of New Cap city in the show Caprica. A whole world that is a game, and no one knows the objective; finding out what the game is, is all part of playing.

Apparently the game spans a time period of TEN MILLION YEARS, has inter-dimensional shifting, time travel, and is all wrapped up in a secretive global domination package straight out of Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy (WEIRD ****).

I got my beta key TODAY, and will be playing this for the first time tonight. One guy that played this at PAXEast said "I kept getting reminded of Joss Whedon's stuff. My friends and I formed a party of misfits dressed in the latest fashions and then went out and fought demons. The investigation missions are bad ass. Oh, and challenging. This game is hard! Games are too easy these days so this has been refreshing. Although, I must say, I feel like I have to clear some cobwebs from my brain after a decade of fetch quests in games like WOW. "

In the Beginning...
I'm all about this.^

I usually don't get far in the MMOs because I don't care about collecting 20 wolf pelts or crafting a better shield at the expense of actually being able to follow an interesting story. I'm glad to see a game finally trying to reinvent the genre, or at least infuse a little bit more substance for those of us who need a little more of a hook to keep playing.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
The Last of Us looks pretty damn interesting, and I'm definitely waiting for The Last Guardian after the amazing achievement that was Shadow of the Colossus (now my all-time fave video game).

Movie Forums Insomniac
what's everybody's most anticipated game of 2012?
Max Payne 3 and Assassin's Creed III

@ Sleezy

TSW... I am still under NDA until Friday at 5PM, so I can't go into a ton of detail. I will say it's got potential to be something really special, but whether or not it reaches that potential remains to be seen. Lisa is over the moon for the game, even more so than I.

It's close enough, and the open beta is in full swing now, anyway.

Really cool game. Still some work on the smoothness of the controls to be done, as well as the obligatory bugs here and there. The cinematics and voice acting are top notch, adult, and very dark. The vibe is sort of Buffy done by Lynch in his Twin Peaks era.

The controls are pretty clunky right now, as the game stands, and launch is fairly close. The game has tremendous potential - we will have to wait to see if it can reach it.