Norm Macdonald, R.I.P.

Tools    

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-ma...61-1234833212/

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Let the night air cool you off
This one really hurts me. Norm is by far my favorite comedian of all-time. I've spent hours and hours watching every Norm set, interview, movie, show, etc. I could find. I listened to his book read by him. This sucks. RIP Norm.

I think this clip pretty much encapsulates who he was as a comedian

that sucks...

He was one of the best. RIP Norm.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Just two general things:

1. That first clip Holden posted is maybe my favorite from Norm, just because it shows the weird mumbly stuff his fans love wasn't the extent of his abilities. It's a "classic" kind of standup bit (with a bit of Norm weirdness and understatement underpinning it) and it's...just perfect. Perfectly executed. He said he wanted something really good and new for the Letterman farewell and it was amazing to see that he could just decide to do that kind of thing, and do it perfectly, when he wanted to.

2. I'm a big Conan fan and when he launched his show on TBS I watched every single night for a long time, and my wife and I were watching when the moth joke first aired, and we were just flabbergasted by the whole thing. I told everyone who would listen to watch the clip and I'm so happy it's become, essentially, the very first thing people have decided to share in most cases to remember him.

The funniest Weekend Update host by far. Norm will be missed.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa