Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Tonight, I really challenge myself :

Just continuing the voyage the Foreign Language Countdown is leading me on...

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

wanabe movie critique
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull

very good and enjoyable film, with good performances. Can't believe it's 40 years old!

I much prefer the film it was based upon, Antonioni's Blowup (1966), but this one is very watchable. Let us know what you thought of it...

~Doc

very good and enjoyable film, with good performances. Can't believe it's 40 years old!

I much prefer the film it was based upon, Antonioni's Blowup (1966), but this one is very watchable. Let us know what you thought of it...

~Doc
Shame I didn’t know it was a remake! I liked it, very De Palma-ish. Remembered Nancy Allen was once his wife, but not which film I know her from, I’d call that sad.

Feels quite dated now in terms of direction - so much foreshadowing leading up to
WARNING: spoilers below
Sally’s death that, despite this being noir, I thought for a moment there she might survive.

Loved Travolta, though - perfect for it. The whole thing reminded me vaguely of Berberian Sound Studio. Sound editing gets much less of a giallo treatment in Blow Out, though, to my mind, and I liked that about it.

Will track down the original, thanks for flagging.

Shame I didn’t know it was a remake! I liked it, very De Palma-ish. Remembered Nancy Allen was once his wife, but not which film I know her from, I’d call that sad.

Feels quite dated now in terms of direction - so much foreshadowing leading up to [spoilers]Sally’s death that, despite this being noir, I thought for a moment there she might survive.
Loved Travolta, though - perfect for it. The whole thing reminded me vaguely of Berberian Sound Studio. Sound editing gets much less of a giallo treatment in Blow Out, though, to my mind, and I liked that about it.

Will track down the original, thanks for flagging.
Haven't seen "Berberian". I'm not a horror fan, so I've seen very little of it. I can imagine what you mean though. DePalma's intuition is not very far from a horror style.

I have a hunch you'll like Blowup. Antonioni composes a moody almost existential feel set in London's wild 'n crazy '60s. There are a few anachronistic "mod" episodes, but they fit the story. I love the mystery and the emphasis on sound and mood rather than dialogue.

I have a hunch you'll like Blowup. Antonioni composes a moody almost existential feel set in London's wild 'n crazy '60s. There are a few anachronistic "mod" episodes, but they fit the story. I love the mystery and the emphasis on sound and mood rather than dialogue.
One of my most fave movies. Ever. Seen it a million times. David Hemmings was beyond in this movie.