Of Mice and Men(1992)

→ in
Tools    

I just watched this movie in school right after we read the novel. i wanna start off by saying i think the book is alot better and i suggest reading the book first and if you already saw the film then go read the book if you havent.
This is an adaption of John Steinbecks novel with the same title. It takes place during the great depression and follows two traveling ranch works Lennie(John Malkovich) and George(Gary Sinise) .Lennie is a mentally retarded giant who has the mind of a child and doesnt know his own strength. George is a smaller guy who has been taking care of Lennie ever since his Aunt Clara died who has raised him since he was a child. George and Lennie have a dream of one day owning a small house with a farm and some animals. they cant make this dream come true because they never have enough time at one job to make enough money. They are always switching jobs because of Lennies little understanding of the world which gets them in trouble and fired. now they go to a new ranch to try and save up money for their dream.

First of all the acting is great in this film. John Malkovich captures Lennies character perfect. that is exactly how i pictured Lennie with the goofy voice and big body. Gary Sinise who also directed the film is a great George. from his western accent to how he acts like a father to Lennie. The book stays very true to the book with the exeptions of a few scene changes and the ending being a little different. i have yet to see the 1939 adaptions of the book but i plan to soon. i definitly reccomend this move to anyone who has read the book or just wants to see a good touching film with some humor.
6.5/10

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
This is a wonderful film. I think the whole cast is really strong and the story is very good. Sinease was smart to stick to the story as written.

This was, and might still be depending on how cool I want to look, one of my favorite films. Maybe not the most impressive with film technique but a killer story - that makes me happy.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
This was, and might still be depending on how cool I want to look, one of my favorite films. Maybe not the most impressive with film technique but a killer story - that makes me happy.
did u ever read the book?

I read the book and as with most books that are adapted into movies I of course liked the book better. But this is one heck of an adaption I think and I find no faults in the movie, I just like books better than movies for the most part. The book is barely 100 pages if I remember correctly so if you get the chance I suggest that everyone reads it. Ha, this is probably one of the rare occasions that reading the book actually takes less time than watching the movie.

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
did u ever read the book?
Haven't read the book. I've got what cha' call a short attention span. I tend to read short fiction - it's what works for me.

Thanks for the review, I love this movie.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I liked the book when I wasn't forced to analyse it and look for things that Steinbeck probably didn't notice...

The film is a joy to watch and of all the novel adaptations I've seen this is one of the better ones, as not only does it stay faithful but it sucks you in and keeps you interested. No fidgeting in my seat like I did when I saw Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone, anyway.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Small world, Taxi. My English class had to read the book and see the movie as well! And from what I saw and read, the film remained true to the book, except for the beginning, which was no big deal, since I liked it anyway. I really was impressed by Malkovich's portrail of Lennie. He was really good at acting as a mentally challenged man (I wonder if he acts like that in real life? ) and I also enjoyed Gary "Lieutenant Dan" Sinise's portrail of George- yet another good role for him. And it was also a good film for him to mark his directorial debut in my opinion. Overall, a good film.

Of Mice and Men: 9/10