Microsoft's 'Halo' Could Go to the Movies

Tools    

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. was near a deal on Friday to sell the rights to make a movie based on hit video game series "Halo" after a recent round of Hollywood talks in which a high asking price and demands for creative input drew the ire of some parties, sources said.

The bidding for a movie based on "Halo" and "Halo 2," a science fiction series about a warrior named Master Chief who battles aliens, began on Monday when a script commissioned by Microsoft was delivered to Hollywood studios by messengers wearing Master Chief green armor and toting laser guns.

Represented by Creative Artists Agency, Microsoft sought an unusually high upfront payment of $10 million plus 15 percent of initial gross box office sales, which led several studios to drop out of talks, according to sources near the deal-making.

Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox teamed up to make the winning offer that calls for an initial payment of $5 million plus 10 percent of initial box office receipts, sources said, although they cautioned that final details may change.

A formal announcement is likely next week after creative issues are hammered out between the studios and Microsoft.

Fox declined to comment and Universal said it did not discuss pending deals.

Microsoft spokesman Carlos de Leon would not confirm financial details nor would Creative Artists, but the deal is notable for several reasons.

Typically a Hollywood studio or producer might spot a hot game, comic, or story and buy the film rights. The studio or producer would hire a writer, then seek financial partners.

In this case, however, Microsoft hired writer Alex Garland, who penned 2003 horror hit "28 Days Later," to dream up the story. Microsoft and CAA then sent their script to the studios and demanded to be part of the creative development.

"Microsoft is not in the business of making movies, and that is why we want to partner with the studios. (But) we have an obligation to make sure the 'Halo' franchise is protected and is something 'Halo' fans can be proud of," said de Leon.

He said that soon after the first "Halo" game became a hit in 2001, Microsoft was approached by Hollywood studios and producers wanting to snap up the movie rights, but the company was always mindful of maintaining some sort of creative input.

The "Halo" games have been huge hits for Microsoft's Xbox video game group. When released last fall, "Halo 2" sold 2.4 million units in its first day. Overall, the franchise has sold 13 million units worldwide, generating some $600 million in revenue, according to various industry sources.

Movies based on video games have turned in mixed results in Hollywood. The most successful was 2001's "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" which raked in $275 million worldwide for Paramount Pictures, according to boxofficemojo.com

The sequel, "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life," was widely considered a flop in the U.S. and Canada with only $66 million in ticket sales, although it did prove more successful in the international market, with $91 million.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Today's Variety (subscription required) is reporting that Universal has partnered with 20th Century Fox to cofinance the film version of the biggest Xbox franchise of all time, Halo. Sources told the Hollywood trade that the two companies are in final negotiations to buy the Halo movie rights from Microsoft, which had couriers--dressed as the Master Chief--make the rounds at all the major studios earlier this week. They carried a Bungie Studios-approved script from 28 Days Later screenwriter Alex Garland.

While Halo's huge fan base--the series has sold nearly 13 million copies--would normally be catnip to Hollywood executives, Microsoft reportedly put forth conditions that put off many studios. According to reports in several media outlets, including a detailed account in today's New York Times (registration required), Microsoft demanded $10 million against 15 percent of the box-office gross. This in addition to a minimum $75 million "below the line" budget, meaning the studio would have to invest that much money before hiring any actors or a director, usually a film's biggest expenses. Also, all studios shown the script had just 24 hours to respond "yes" or "no," since Microsoft wanted the movie fast-tracked into production.

According to Variety, Microsoft's tall order caused almost all major studios to pass on the project. By Tuesday, DreamWorks, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., and Buena Vista Entertainment, Disney's parent company, had dropped out faster than an ODST. With virtually all of the competition gone, the two remaining heavy hitters--Fox and Universal--decided to use their leverage for more favorable terms.

According to the Times, Microsoft's representatives at Creative Artists Agency--current employer of former Xbox cocreator and game-industry enfant terrible Seamus Blackley--hammered out a deal on Wednesday afternoon that had Fox and Universal offer Microsoft $5 million against 10 percent of the gross. The agreement would see Universal distribute the Halo movie domestically, while Fox would handle foreign distribution.

But while Universal and Fox's offer is now the only game in town, Microsoft is still unsure if it wants to play ball. Variety and the Times say the agreement is held up on two fronts. First, the two studios requested that Microsoft relinquish its demands and that the Halo movie strictly follow a Bungie-penned "bible," which would ensure that it would not deviate from the Halo mythos or conflict with "sequels" to the game (i.e. Halo 3). The second reported sticking point was Microsoft's insistence that principal shooting begin as soon as possible, possibly as early as this fall. According to Variety, Universal and Fox will only "promise simply to get the pic into theaters by 2007 at the latest."

So the deal is almost finished and Dazed sorry about making a duplicate thread.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by dillskies88
Today's Variety (subscription required) is reporting that Universal has partnered with 20th Century Fox to cofinance the film version of the biggest Xbox franchise of all time, Halo. Sources told the Hollywood trade that the two companies are in final negotiations to buy the Halo movie rights from Microsoft, which had couriers--dressed as the Master Chief--make the rounds at all the major studios earlier this week. They carried a Bungie Studios-approved script from 28 Days Later screenwriter Alex Garland.

While Halo's huge fan base--the series has sold nearly 13 million copies--would normally be catnip to Hollywood executives, Microsoft reportedly put forth conditions that put off many studios. According to reports in several media outlets, including a detailed account in today's New York Times (registration required), Microsoft demanded $10 million against 15 percent of the box-office gross. This in addition to a minimum $75 million "below the line" budget, meaning the studio would have to invest that much money before hiring any actors or a director, usually a film's biggest expenses. Also, all studios shown the script had just 24 hours to respond "yes" or "no," since Microsoft wanted the movie fast-tracked into production.

According to Variety, Microsoft's tall order caused almost all major studios to pass on the project. By Tuesday, DreamWorks, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., and Buena Vista Entertainment, Disney's parent company, had dropped out faster than an ODST. With virtually all of the competition gone, the two remaining heavy hitters--Fox and Universal--decided to use their leverage for more favorable terms.

According to the Times, Microsoft's representatives at Creative Artists Agency--current employer of former Xbox cocreator and game-industry enfant terrible Seamus Blackley--hammered out a deal on Wednesday afternoon that had Fox and Universal offer Microsoft $5 million against 10 percent of the gross. The agreement would see Universal distribute the Halo movie domestically, while Fox would handle foreign distribution.

But while Universal and Fox's offer is now the only game in town, Microsoft is still unsure if it wants to play ball. Variety and the Times say the agreement is held up on two fronts. First, the two studios requested that Microsoft relinquish its demands and that the Halo movie strictly follow a Bungie-penned "bible," which would ensure that it would not deviate from the Halo mythos or conflict with "sequels" to the game (i.e. Halo 3). The second reported sticking point was Microsoft's insistence that principal shooting begin as soon as possible, possibly as early as this fall. According to Variety, Universal and Fox will only "promise simply to get the pic into theaters by 2007 at the latest."

So the deal is almost finished and Dazed sorry about making a duplicate thread.
Dude don't be sorry that was a good contribution to the thread

i hope they sell it to uwe boll

I hear the movie is going to cover Halo 1 and 2.

Neutral Milk Hotel
I believe this could work.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Originally Posted by casa
i hope they sell it to uwe boll
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

hahahahaha just because of the disaster it would be become i reailly hope they give it to uwe boll god. He'd probably splice in more game footage than he did in House of the Dead.

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by EmuGOD
hahahahaha just because of the disaster it would be become i reailly hope they give it to uwe boll god. He'd probably splice in more game footage than he did in House of the Dead.

Every alien seen on screen would be game footage, lol.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

You ready? You look ready.
Quite frankly, I'll be happy once this comes out because it will be the last bit of money Microsoft will get off of me for Halo anything. I'm sick of the game, I'm sick of people worshipping it like a god. And I'm sick of the fact this is the only good game Microsoft can make. *Shakes Head* What's Microsoft got? Halo. Wow. That's a great game. Have I ever seen it before?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
What about the following good games from MS:

Age of Empires series
Age of Mythology series
Asheron's Call I
(They have since sold the franchise back to the developer, so aren;t disto'ing II)
Rise of Nations series
The extremely popular Flight Simulator 20xx series.
Fable

I have played about half those titles and they were all pretty damn fun. I was on the beta test for Asheron's call, which was a fun experience. Two of my friends are developers at Turbine games here in Massachusetts, the developer who created Asheron's Call. They have recently bought themselves out of the deal with MS, as they got rich off the first title, and can now use other channels for distro....

Originally Posted by Sedai
Age of Empires series
Age of Mythology series
Asheron's Call I (They have since sold the franchise back to the developer, so aren;t disto'ing II)
Rise of Nations series
The extremely popular Flight Simulator 20xx series.
Fable
Age of Empires not bad. Age of Mythology just like Age of Empires so why would I be impressed. Asheron's Call was bareable. Rise of Nations don't get me started. Flight Simulator was fun to a point. Fable, ah Fable. Play Enclave, you'll know why I'll say ah Fable. I mean I don't even like Halo anymore. It was one of the best FPS games though. It could have had the impact on FPS like that of Final Fantasy VII on RPG. But no.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by John McClane
I mean I don't even like Halo anymore. It was one of the best FPS games though. It could have had the impact on FPS like that of Final Fantasy VII on RPG. But no.
So it's the best FPS, but you just don't like it? I'm not sure of your point here.

Halo is uber-popular and almost topped the 2004 top sellers list, if not for GTA:SA.

Here is the list:

Annual 2004 Top 10 Video Game Titles Ranked By Units Sold
Source: The NPD Group / NPD Funworld / Point-of-Sale

RANK - TITLE - PLATFORM - PUBLISHER
1 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - PS2 - Take II Interactive
2 - Halo 2* - XBX - Microsoft
3 - Madden NFL 2005* - PS2 - Electronic Arts
4 - ESPN NFL 2K5 - PS2 - Take II Interactive
5 - Need For Speed: Underground 2 - PS2 - Electronic Arts
6 - Pokemon Fire Red W/ Adapter - GBA - Nintendo of America
7 - NBA Live 2005 - PS2 - Electronic Arts
8 - Spider-Man: The Movie 2 - PS2 - Activision
9 - Halo - XBX - Microsoft
10 - ESPN NFL 2K5 - XBX - Take II Interactive

So....ya, people seem to like sports games, followed by strictly licensed material (Spidey and Pokemon). Those two catagories, clearly the most mainstream, are sort of expected to dominate, and Halo is actually the exception this past year, with no other games that aren't either sports or licensed. I think this would show Halo II was massive last year, to make it all the way up to number II. The fact the first Halo is still on the list only solidifies the argument. You know what's funny? I have never even seen Halo played, and don;t know anything about it. I have a PS2

Originally Posted by Sedai
So it's the best FPS, but you just don't like it? I'm not sure of your point here.

Halo is uber-popular and almost topped the 2004 top sellers list, if not for GTA:SA.

Here is the list:

Annual 2004 Top 10 Video Game Titles Ranked By Units Sold
Source: The NPD Group / NPD Funworld / Point-of-Sale

RANK - TITLE - PLATFORM - PUBLISHER
1 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - PS2 - Take II Interactive
2 - Halo 2* - XBX - Microsoft
3 - Madden NFL 2005* - PS2 - Electronic Arts
4 - ESPN NFL 2K5 - PS2 - Take II Interactive
5 - Need For Speed: Underground 2 - PS2 - Electronic Arts
6 - Pokemon Fire Red W/ Adapter - GBA - Nintendo of America
7 - NBA Live 2005 - PS2 - Electronic Arts
8 - Spider-Man: The Movie 2 - PS2 - Activision
9 - Halo - XBX - Microsoft
10 - ESPN NFL 2K5 - XBX - Take II Interactive

So....ya, people seem to like sports games, followed by strictly licensed material (Spidey and Pokemon). Those two catagories, clearly the most mainstream, are sort of expected to dominate, and Halo is actually the exception this past year, with no other games that aren't either sports or licensed. I think this would show Halo II was massive last year, to make it all the way up to number II. The fact the first Halo is still on the list only solidifies the argument. You know what's funny? I have never even seen Halo played, and don;t know anything about it. I have a PS2
It was one of the best FPS. Don't forget, Halo 2 wouldn't have sold good if it wasn't for the massive number of people who played the original Halo. Another thing, Halo 2 had hardly anything that differed from the first one. Oh wow, new maps, guns, and duel welding. Your creators are just full of original ideas. Stop please, I can't take all this new stuff.

EDIT: Don't forget that Jupiter Research says that the new Xbox360 will over take PS3 on the video game market by about 4 percent. And these people are telling us what game is best due to amount sold. Not to mention when it comes to bragging about consoles what's the thin Microsoft always says. WE GOT HALO!!!!! Well, they sure as hell ain't got console power.

In the Beginning...
Don't forget, Halo 2 wouldn't have sold good if it wasn't for the massive number of people who played the original Halo.
There's a reason why so many people played it. You forget, Halo was a first installment, and it sold just fine. I'd wager that if Halo 2 was the first installment, it would have sold just as well. It's just as incredible, if not more so, than its older brother.

Another thing, Halo 2 had hardly anything that differed from the first one. Oh wow, new maps, guns, and duel welding. Your creators are just full of original ideas. Stop please, I can't take all this new stuff.
Not to get too off-topic, but I have to say that - as someone who played the crap out of Halo for nearly three years - I enjoy Halo 2 because the developers didn't mess with a good thing. They updated the experience, and gave me more of it. They didn't go changing the formula, because that's not what I (and every other Halo fan) wanted. Regrettably, the hype hurt Halo 2, because it could never have amounted to the degree of hype it received. But if you forget the hype, and consider it with regard to Halo standards (which are considerably high), it hits the mark and more.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
There's a reason why so many people played it. You forget, Halo was a first installment, and it sold just fine. I'd wager that if Halo 2 was the first installment, it would have sold just as well. It's just as incredible, if not more so, than its older brother.

Not to get too off-topic, but I have to say that - as someone who played the crap out of Halo for nearly three years - I enjoy Halo 2 because the developers didn't mess with a good thing. They updated the experience, and gave me more of it. They didn't go changing the formula, because that's not what I (and every other Halo fan) wanted. Regrettably, the hype hurt Halo 2, because it could never have amounted to the degree of hype it received. But if you forget the hype, and consider it with regard to Halo standards (which are considerably high), it hits the mark and more.
This is not true I know pently of people who didn't want the extact same game. If we wanted to play Halo, we would play Halo. We wouldn't have brought the game if we knew it was going to be so much like the original. We wanted something that refreshed the series. That's the great downfall of Halo 2 that I just love. I'm glad to say I won't have much to look forward to in Halo 3.

In the Beginning...
This is not true I know pently of people who didn't want the extact same game. If we wanted to play Halo, we would play Halo. We wouldn't have brought the game if we knew it was going to be so much like the original. We wanted something that refreshed the series. That's the great downfall of Halo 2 that I just love. I'm glad to say I won't have much to look forward to in Halo 3.
I don't really see how Halo 2 was "the exact same game" as Halo. Sure, they are similar (as you pointed out), but look at the last three Grand Theft Auto games. GTA III refreshed the series, but the following two installments are no more "new" or "refreshing" than Halo 2 is of its predecessor (and they're still fantastic games).

If you read reviews, and bounce over to Bungie's Halo 2 message boards, I'm sure you'll find that most Halo fans wanted more Halo (in fact, many fans - including myself - were somewhat unhappy with certain changes because they made the experience feel a little like the Halo we know and love). They didn't want something drastically different or "refreshed," because there's so much more that can be explored with the known Halo formula. Sure, I don't want to wait till things get stale before I get something new and refreshing, but I don't want them to jump the gun either.

Suffice it to say, Halo doesn't need to be "refreshed" yet, because it isn't dated. The gameplay remains cutting edge (because it pretty much defines FPS, in the same way that The Legend of Zelda defines platformers), and that's why it sells so well. It's not without its problems, but they are few - and I dare you to show me a perfect video game.

Age of Empires not bad. Age of Mythology just like Age of Empires so why would I be impressed. Asheron's Call was bareable. Rise of Nations don't get me started. Flight Simulator was fun to a point. Fable, ah Fable. Play Enclave, you'll know why I'll say ah Fable. I mean I don't even like Halo anymore. It was one of the best FPS games though. It could have had the impact on FPS like that of Final Fantasy VII on RPG. But no.
I have to disagree there. I respect your opinion but we obviously think differnet about games. Halo was a decent FPS at best and it isn't as good as all the hype intends it to be. It underachieved greatly and was really a disappointment in my mind. After the first 3 to 4 hours of gameplay on the original Halo, I found it completely boring and repetitive after the first 4 or so levels. I do agree however about you not liking the game.