What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

This One Time At Band Camp...
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Lady in the Water.

Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas

District 13- For my money more fun than DMC and Superman. Good action, no thinking. It's EXACTLY what you'd get from setting Escape From New York in La Haine times Ong Bak.

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos

Solid if straightforward documentary recounting the meteoric rise and fall of the first professional soccer league in the United States, through the lens of the New York franchise, The Cosmos, and the international susperstars they recruited in hopes of making it a mainstream popular sport in America. They actually succeeded, sort of, for a couple years in the late 1970s, but the league expanded too quickly and it never caught on as a televised event, which ultimately led to its demise. Financially the team was backed by Steve Ross, who was one of the first media moguls and put the money of his Warner Communications empire into the team. They struggled for fans and coverage in the early days, but when they convinced Brazilian legend Pelé, who had just retired having won three World Cups in his amazing career, to come to the States and play for The Cosmos, everything changed in a hurry. This brought the kind of attention to the league they needed, and soon Pelé was joined by other world greats like Italy's Giorgio Chinaglia and Germany's Franz Beckenbauer. This team of all-stars did generate interest and even excitement, and by the 1977 and 1978 seasons they were selling out 80,000+ seats at the newly construced Meadowlands stadium. Lots of archival footage, and many of the surviving participants on and off the field give candid interviews, especially about Chinaglia who everyone pretty much agrees was a great scorer and a great pain in the ass. Chinaglia is interviewed and says nothing to dispute his reputation as an *******. The only two major people not interviewed are Steve Ross, who died in the early 1990s, and the great Pelé, who declined to be interviewed. It's a shame, because Pelé was so central to everything that went on. That he doesn't lend his voice and perspective, good, bad or indifferent, is a weakness in the film.

It's an interesting story, whether or not you give two damns about soccer, but at the same time the documentary isn't really special in any way. There's nothing especially "theatrical" about it, and might just as well have premiered as a broadcast on ESPN (who co-produced the film). But it's a good story about ambition and excess and volatile personalities. Oh yeah, and soccer.

GRADE: B
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Saw Pirates again and liked it a lot on second viewing...def picked up new things I wasn't aware of before...

Superman Returns. It was better that I expected, watching the trailers before it (some films about dancing penguins, Shyamalan's new one and something about talking cars) I was ready to die, but this cheered me up. However, I thought the last 20 minutes or so were a bit unnecessary, I'd have finished it when superman fell in the park.

Superman Returns: Good movie nuff said

BANNED (PLANT)
Pirates of the Caribbean....really good! cant wait for the 3rd part

A system of cells interlinked
A Scanner Darkly - (Linklater, 2006) Aside from some slight pacing issues, I really dug it! Bizzare and dark, and pretty tense thoughout....

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Originally Posted by Sedai
A Scanner Darkly - (Linklater, 2006) Aside from some slight pacing issues, I really dug it! Bizzare and dark, and pretty tense thoughout....
Nice! I really wanna see that one!

Clerks II

Click

i laughed and cryed but im an emotional whore like that

Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006 - Chris Paine)

Well made documentary recounting the forces that went into the creation and destruction of the all-electric car in the late 1990s. Fascinating and infuriating, filmmaker Paine goes point by point enumerating all the suspects and placing the blame with the multiple parties where it belongs. There was no one person or company or government agency that killed this dream that was already being realized more than most will probably know, but the end result is junkyards filled with shredded automobiles. And it's not just the who of course, but they why. Usual suspects in that regard too (hey look: greed!). One of the interviewees says this sad and unfortunately short chapter will likely go down as one of the worst blunders ever made in the history of the auto industry. After seeing the movie, it's difficult not to agree with him.

GRADE: A-

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don't really want to get into a debate, but why is the underlying assumption always that generating electricity is clean and neat, while gasoline is just horrible? Until we go all-nuclear, for instance, electricity is still a very dirty business. It's just that the end user doesn't see it and so mistakenly assumes the whole process is neat and tidy.

But that's a side note, of course.... (My husband works in the nuke industry, so I'm more biased than I used to be.)

Originally Posted by Austruck
I don't really want to get into a debate, but why is the underlying assumption always that generating electricity is clean and neat, while gasoline is just horrible? Until we go all-nuclear, for instance, electricity is still a very dirty business. It's just that the end user doesn't see it and so mistakenly assumes the whole process is neat and tidy.
They cover this in the movie. But are you saying that we shouldn't look for alternatives to the internal combustion engine until all power is clean as well? That don't make any sense. But to answer your question, yes, given even the current state of the business of electricity - its many pollutants and deficiencies, it would be better environmentally and financially to power a nation of vehicles via electricity than to continue with fossil fuel-burning internal combustion engines. The real goal of course is to move more and more to alternatives in generating electricity as well. Nothing is going to be a panecea at this point, things have to change on every single level. But the electric car could have been a giant step in the right direction, and if the auto industry as a whole was moving that direction en masse it would force the electric companies to make changes on their end as well (solar, wind, whatever), sooner rather than later.

Maybe next time?

The Adventure Starts Here!
I was just making the broader comment that I personally have noticed that many people in favor of electric or hybrid cars honestly don't know enough about how electricity is made. They honestly think it's as clean and quiet and nice and pretty as it seems when it's coming out of their wall sockets.

Honest. It's kinda weird.

But yes, more and better stewardship of all resources is the goal, and everything should inch that way at its own speed. I just have problems with all-or-nothing "if only" scenarios that thinly mask a larger agenda.

But maybe that's just me.

And this is my BOOMstick!
You, Me and Dupree.

Pretty much what I expected. Just a little bit funnier.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Honest. It's kinda weird.
Yup, to think that way would be silly.

I just have problems with all-or-nothing "if only" scenarios that thinly mask a larger agenda.
What's the larger agenda here tho? Oil-ism? (And where's the all-or-nothing for that matter? )

If you're saying that the 'anti-combustion-engine' agenda is entirely driven by the desire to hit Bush with a car, or some such thing, that doesn't seem to be much in evidence in the case of this doc.

If we all lived on the ocean and had sail boats to get around in and solar powered tvs then things would be better.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - pretty good, but too long....