Hunter S. Thompson, R.I.P.

Tools    

I don't know what to say.... there are no words.

R.I.P.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I've only read 'Fear and Loathing' and that was fantastic. 'The Rum Diarys' is on my list.

It's sad news, seemed quite a destructive character from what i've heard.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I don't even know what to say about this. He was one of my favourite writers. It's very sad.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Its not fair that the gonzo journalist is gone! The Rum Diary is a fantastic book and Kingdom of Fear was a good read as well. RIP

May The Forks be With Us
I Have not read any of his Books but I did see Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I think is adapted from one of his books and loved it. I heard he did a lot of drugs and was known for drinking. The guy I was talking about him with said that his boddy probably had enough chemicals in his bloodstream that his corpse could be classified as a big Controlled Substance.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Depression is a fatal illness, it kills people everyday, R.I.P. now Hunter.

Originally Posted by HellboyUnleashed
he did a lot of drugs and was known for drinking.
And yet, in the end, he chose to end it all by shooting himself... strange... and very sad.

R.I.P.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

quoted from someone else

wonder why he did it.
curiosity or impatience?
death IS the ultimate mind altering experieince, he obviously couldn't resist

Originally Posted by nebbit
Depression is a fatal illness, it kills people everyday, R.I.P. now Hunter.
It's hard to say whether depression had anything to do with it.

All I can is is after reading his final column for ESPN my brother-in-law and I might not be able to wait for the snow to melt before we begin playing Shotgun Golf... Genius!

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Originally Posted by nebbit
People don't kill themselves because they are happy.
Some people kill themselves in a drunken stupor though. Hell, some people even kill themselves in protest to an injustice (see: "seppuku").

Originally Posted by Garrett
Some people kill themselves in a drunken stupor though. Hell, some people even kill themselves in protest to an injustice (see: "seppuku").
yes you maybe right but they are few. People who kill themselves to protest injustice must not be thinking straight.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hunter S. Thompson did kill himself because he was happy.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...575306,00.html

A very nice, comemorative read.

Originally Posted by OG-
Hunter S. Thompson did kill himself because he was happy..
It hasn't convinced me he was happy not sure if it is true, it is reported here that his six year old grandchild ran in and found Hunter, that must have been nice for him, a nice way to remember his grandfather.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well, I don't mean he thought to himself "ya know, I'm happy...I think I'll kill myself."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050224/D88EKEEO0.html

It is being reported by a whole variety of sources, but there is a general consensus: He was sick, he knew he was sick and instead of waiting for health problems to deteriate his life away, he took it in his own hands.

I'm not a proponent of suicide, but I will be honest and say that in the case of Hunter S. Thompson, I find it rather admirable and respectful. He acknowledged his run in this world and that's that.

I'm sure it isn't a very plesant memory for his grandchild to of found his body, but it is pretty obvious that Hunter S. Thompson led an extraordinary life and as morbid as it sounds, I really don't think his grandchild will be traumatized by the event. I have no doubt that the Thompson family will honor and embrace his life as it should be and those memories will surely be passed down to his grandchild.

Take it from someone who was exposed to a succession of deaths at a very young age, as tragic as it is, how the family treats it makes all the difference in one's post-mortem psyche. And I don't think anyone could make the case that the Thompson family is not celebrating his life and is instead imploding from the loss.

It is being reported by a whole variety of sources, but there is a general consensus: He was sick, he knew he was sick and instead of waiting for health problems to deteriate his life away, he took it in his own hands.
I understand what you are saying here, I actually agree with people with terminal illnesses taking there own life.

I'm not a proponent of suicide, but I will be honest and say that in the case of Hunter S. Thompson, I find it rather admirable and respectful.
I am not sure I respect him for shooting himself in the head, a very gorey experience for those that found him.

Take it from someone who was exposed to a succession of deaths at a very young age, as tragic as it is, how the family treats it makes all the difference in one's post-mortem psyche.
I am sorry to hear that, yes it is important how the family treats it, hopefully you didn't see anyone with a gun shot wound to the head.