Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Chelsea are getting worse as the season goes on. The opposite of what you'd expect when you appoint a new manager. Perhaps premature, but could this be another case of Chelsea players beginning to revolt against the manager? Would be the third one in a row that has lost the dressing room.

I think so. Its a faint one now, it might be a major uprising if the results keep going the way they are. Sarri cant wait for a Huddersfield, Cardiff like fixture right now. But up next is City. If they get embarrassed there, it will surely be over. He is one rigid man. It is for all to see the Jorginho doesn't work there anymore, everyone has figured it out. And still he persists. He had Fabregas, who even at 31 is 20 times better than him. And I am sure all the Chelsea fans are bored of seeing Kovacic for Barkley or Barley for Kovacic sub as well.

Chelsea are the AC Milan of the Prem, they overpaid too many players (more so when they didn't have champions league football to keep/sign their stars) and some players think they're bigger than the club, not a good time to be a Chelsea supporter

Player power. I am all for it, but Chelsea's act like prima donnas!

@honeykid wow great game hun, congratulations on getting though, well deserved x
Thanks honey. Yes, it was a good performance and I was really pleased to see how we played in the first half (when Chelsea actually had a threat) and the defensive performance of the second half. It's been a long, long time since I saw us defend in a manner I would call 'properly'. In numbers, but organised, with both an obvious gameplan and a genuine threat with the counter attack. Proper United football.

I haven't gotten too carried away (and this sounds a bit weird considering Chelsea have been a bogey team of ours for a good few decades now) because it was the current Chelsea team. Now, I can't lie, I was expecting a much more difficult game than I saw just because it was Chelsea away and we rarely win those (even back in Fergie's time) but as hell storm said earlier, this Chelsea team has one way of playing and if you know what to do (shut down Jorginho) it disrupts it to the point of breaking down completely. You saw the Chelsea players reaction when they went a goal down. You could almost see them thinking "Not again" and, while the second goal really put them in a bad place, psychologically I feel it was the first goal which defeated them more.

So we've beaten the team above us (in the league) and the two below us in the Cup. I'm starting to feel some confidence again and I'm a very cautious fan but you can see that the players are well up for it atm. I'm even starting to think that Ole should get the job at the end of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather have Poch, but I still think he's going to Real and, tbh, I'd rather he came to United (if he ever does) after getting sacked or deciding to leave Real. As a Spaniard, with Barca not in the picture because of his allegiances, I feel that Real would always be a spectre if he was doing well at United and, knowing our luck, he'd go just as it was all coming together.

I have two worries about Ole. One is historical, the other business which keep me from backing him all the way and over Poch.

Firstly, how many examples can you find of caretaker/interim manager who've been given the job permanently who've then gone on the next season to do well? How many can you find which have gone on to do badly? If you've not thought of it before, by all means go and have a look. For those who don't want to/can't be bothered, column B is a lot higher than column A. Obviously that doesn't mean it'll happen here but if a club falls into something rather than going/continuing with their long term planning, it rarely seems to ends well.

The second is his name. United has pull. But these days so does City. And PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juve, Real, Barca and they can all pay large wages (only a couple can match united but still...) some of them also have big name managers. If it's 50/50 in a players mind and the wages are the same/close enough, who you'd be playing for can/does make a real difference and Ole (twice Norwegian champion with the PSG of Norway and relegated with Cardiff) doesn't hold the same cache as CL winner/finalist, Serie A/La Liga champion, etc.

So, if Ole comes in and we continue playing like this, then I'll be happy because it's fun to watch again. But there'll come a time when United fans will demand more because, well, we're football fans and that's what we do.

Just a quick note on Liverpool. Was I the only person who thought they'd win that leg by a couple of goals and that Bayern aren't that good?

I'd rather be in Liverpool's position than Bayern's after the first leg (mainly because I still think Liverpool are a much better team and that Bayern at home will play into their strengths) but I was surprised at how reticent or nervous they were. I'm hoping this is because of the crowd and that, already, the pressure is getting to them all as that'll help City win the league (God I hate that) but maybe it was just a pragmatic approach by Klopp? With their central defensive pairing being about their 8th best, maybe he just thought don't leave them exposed at all and give Bayern something to defend and some hope? I hope not, because that's very un-Klopp and carrying on like that will probably improve their chances of winning the league.

Wasn't too surprised by Lyon either. Obviously I'd have still expected Barca to win (and a 0-0 draw would've been my last choice of scoreline) but considering how well they played against City in the group stages it's not too much of a surprise, is it?

If Messi doesn't play well, Barca don't play well. That's kind of how it is there, isn't it?

Just a quick note on Liverpool. Was I the only person who thought they'd win that leg by a couple of goals and that Bayern aren't that good?

I'd rather be in Liverpool's position than Bayern's after the first leg (mainly because I still think Liverpool are a much better team and that Bayern at home will play into their strengths) but I was surprised at how reticent or nervous they were. I'm hoping this is because of the crowd and that, already, the pressure is getting to them all as that'll help City win the league (God I hate that) but maybe it was just a pragmatic approach by Klopp? With their central defensive pairing being about their 8th best, maybe he just thought don't leave them exposed at all and give Bayern something to defend and some hope? I hope not, because that's very un-Klopp and carrying on like that will probably improve their chances of winning the league.
I won't deny that the team has looked a wee bit nervous lately, but that's down to inexperience. Only the manager can relax them. Unlike the team, he has been in that position at Dortmund so it's not new for him.

As for yesterday's match, it was a mixture of several things: Bayern defending well, us not taking our chances and low creativity from the midfield.

Thanks honey. Yes, it was a good performance and I was really pleased to see how we played in the first half (when Chelsea actually had a threat) and the defensive performance of the second half. It's been a long, long time since I saw us defend in a manner I would call 'properly'. In numbers, but organised, with both an obvious gameplan and a genuine threat with the counter attack. Proper United football.

I haven't gotten too carried away (and this sounds a bit weird considering Chelsea have been a bogey team of ours for a good few decades now) because it was the current Chelsea team. Now, I can't lie, I was expecting a much more difficult game than I saw just because it was Chelsea away and we rarely win those (even back in Fergie's time) but as hell storm said earlier, this Chelsea team has one way of playing and if you know what to do (shut down Jorginho) it disrupts it to the point of breaking down completely. You saw the Chelsea players reaction when they went a goal down. You could almost see them thinking "Not again" and, while the second goal really put them in a bad place, psychologically I feel it was the first goal which defeated them more.

So we've beaten the team above us (in the league) and the two below us in the Cup. I'm starting to feel some confidence again and I'm a very cautious fan but you can see that the players are well up for it atm. I'm even starting to think that Ole should get the job at the end of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather have Poch, but I still think he's going to Real and, tbh, I'd rather he came to United (if he ever does) after getting sacked or deciding to leave Real. As a Spaniard, with Barca not in the picture because of his allegiances, I feel that Real would always be a spectre if he was doing well at United and, knowing our luck, he'd go just as it was all coming together.

I have two worries about Ole. One is historical, the other business which keep me from backing him all the way and over Poch.

Firstly, how many examples can you find of caretaker/interim manager who've been given the job permanently who've then gone on the next season to do well? How many can you find which have gone on to do badly? If you've not thought of it before, by all means go and have a look. For those who don't want to/can't be bothered, column B is a lot higher than column A. Obviously that doesn't mean it'll happen here but if a club falls into something rather than going/continuing with their long term planning, it rarely seems to ends well.

The second is his name. United has pull. But these days so does City. And PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juve, Real, Barca and they can all pay large wages (only a couple can match united but still...) some of them also have big name managers. If it's 50/50 in a players mind and the wages are the same/close enough, who you'd be playing for can/does make a real difference and Ole (twice Norwegian champion with the PSG of Norway and relegated with Cardiff) doesn't hold the same cache as CL winner/finalist, Serie A/La Liga champion, etc.

So, if Ole comes in and we continue playing like this, then I'll be happy because it's fun to watch again. But there'll come a time when United fans will demand more because, well, we're football fans and that's what we do.
weren't Cardiff doomed before Ole took over tho? plus they had a terrible team then, relegation favourites I think
Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist but I really think Poch is staying, the Spurs board will give him whatever he wants (because he's more interested in developing than buying superstars)

Cardiff was the wrong team at the wrong time. Yes they were doomed already. He was still at Molde when he took over and was used to attacking style of play. And when you are relegation fodder, you don't go out, just sit back and defend and hope for a set-piece goal. But he did stay on for next season and that also didn't go well. I guess it was just the relegation hangover.

United does have the pull for players. But it would be heightened if Poch took over. A lot of the top players are attracted to top managers rather than the team.

But I don't mind Ole staying on. But I would hope the the numpty Woodward would wait till the end of the season to announce it.

So Chelsea have been banned from signing any players for 2 transfer windows, bad timing considering everything that's going on not only with Sarri but with the futures of Hazard and Hudson-Odoi. The Pulisic transfer is unaffected

I won't deny that the team has looked a wee bit nervous lately, but that's down to inexperience.
It's not just that. It's coming from the crowd too. I think that's where it's starting, but it's a vicious cycle... Hopefully. They do have a few winners in their team, though. Not with Liverpool, obviously, but Milner and Fabinho have both won league titles before, as has Klopp himself. Also, did Shaqiri win one with Munich? I'm assuming he did, but I don't know for sure.

weren't Cardiff doomed before Ole took over tho? plus they had a terrible team then, relegation favourites I think.
I agree, but it's still on his CV and I was talking about the pull of high profile managers with CV's.

United does have the pull for players. But it would be heightened if Poch took over. A lot of the top players are attracted to top managers rather than the team.
Yes, that's my feeling too.

So Chelsea have been banned from signing any players for 2 transfer windows, bad timing considering everything that's going on not only with Sarri but with the futures of Hazard and Hudson-Odoi. The Pulisic transfer is unaffected
It's not good, but it's not a surprise. It's the reason Pulisic was brought in when he was but allowed to stay at Dortmund till the end of the season. I believe that Hazard is gone already. Not actually, of course, but I can't see him being there at the start of next season unless Real decide against it. I'm sure they'd like to keep Hudson-Odoi but if he won't sign a new contract then he'll be gone too, as he'll only have a year left on his contract by the summer.

I do think the ban will be the end of Sarri though. Surely his only argument to keeping his job would be bringing in new player who can play his way? This wouldn't happen till the following summer, so don't be surprised if Chelsea take a look north and see what's happening at United. Lampard's doing quite well at Derby. I'll leave it there.

Shocking results in the CL all round weren't they? City 2-1 down and winning with 10 men. Juve was the big one though. What happened there? History tells us they won't be going though and if there's one team you don't want to have to score two goals against, I think Madrid would surely be most people choice. Made worse with a single goal meaning you'd need four. A few of us did mention this when Buffon left to be replaced by Szczesny. Was that enough? Even with Juve's defence? They've been really open about the fact that they're going for the CL this season. That said, while I didn't watch the game, from the goals I can't say he was at fault for either of them. It's the defending.

That was why they spent the money on Ronaldo (well, mostly) and is he going to be enough for another season? He's got to run out at some point. Hasn't he?

The big game is Sunday though. No, not the League Cup. United versus Liverpool. Biggest game of the season in the league. Every season. I'm hearing lots of people backing United, with a few for the draw. That's what I'd think is most likely. Usually I'd say Liverpool for the win here because they always do it for the big games and then mess up the 'lesser' ones. But that's not been the case this season and they aren't in good form, so maybe I should be a little more positive? No. It'll be a draw at best. God, I hope they don't win.

Oh Hazard is definitely gone, if not to Real then maybe Barcelona (having a debate with a guy at work who disagrees about Barca) he's outgrown Chelsea, should've gone in the summer

will be watching United v Liverpool like a hawk on sunday, big game for a lot of people (COME ON OLE!!!!!!!!)

Chelsea will appeal the ruling and probably delay the ban until next January. Gives them a window to do some big spending, similar to what Barcelona and Real Madrid did a few years ago.

Chelsea will appeal the ruling and probably delay the ban until next January. Gives them a window to do some big spending, similar to what Barcelona and Real Madrid did a few years ago.
Yep, they will most probably appeal. They would want to reduce the ban, but it is most likely to delay the punishment allowing them to make panic buys.
That means some clubs could really profit by overpricing their assets and offloading them to Chelsea.

On a sidenote, really nervous about Sunday. Just get a win to keep the pressure on City. Ole's United are different than Mourinho's, though.

@honeykid yep Shaq has won it with Munich and in Switzerland if I am not wrong.

Unlike the 2013-14 team this squad has more leaders. (We probably would have won that season if Carra was in the squad or Hendo hadn't got sent off against City-eventhouh it was a red)

This team is the closet to the 08 season team, which for me was our best side in the past two decade or so.

Agree with the crowd bit. It's been close to three decades without the title. The nervousness is understandable, though not ideal.

An awful, awful match.

We were unimaginative, not urgent and not aggressive. Couldn't stitch a couple of passes in the final third and gave away needless fouls near the box.

I love Milner for what he has done for us at LB or in the midfield, but at RB he was ****e. He never really stretched forward and his set pieces were poor. Also, why would Klopp bring on an ageing Sturridge so early instead of Shaqiri?

Fair play to United. They had to deal with an horrendous situation with the crazy injuries, and yet seemed decisive upfront.

Frankly we were lucky not to lose this, and that was simply down to a quality save from Alisson and Smalling's brain freeze.

It's strange to crib when your team is at the top of the table, but there is a juggernaut to deal with for the prize.

It's an odd game. Considering the injuries, both before and during the game, I'm ok with a draw. More than OK. However, despite that, I somehow feel that Liverpool got lucky. It's an odd feeling.

Liverpool played, pretty much, as they have been of late, which isn't very well. It's weird that they're still top of the table and deserve to be there, yet haven't played well for over a month now. If anything, they look more like the United of Mourinho than United do. Lots of slow movement, sideways and backwards passing with a long (usually over hit pass) to end with or another chance missed.

We'll have to wait and see how bad the injuries are, but I'd expect 3-4 weeks for Herrera if it's a hamstring. How much damage has Rashford done to himself? Lingard too? United are built around pace atm, so here's hoping the injuries aren't too bad or for too long. Let's see what Ole does.

WTF happened at Wembley? Kepa? Amazing. I do feel that the frenzy is a little much though and if the game (or the United/Liverpool game for that matter) had actually had something to show, maybe it wouldn't be quite as big a story as it's being turned into? What do you guys think?

Must be doin sumthin right
I totally buy the "coverup" explanation on the Kepa thing. I don't think Sarri was taking him out for tactical reasons, Kepa was faking cramp to time waste and the medical staff dropped the ball communicating that. Sarri got mad at him because he thought Kepa was trying to be a hero and stay on when really he was never cramped up to begin with