Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I didn’t hate it but I find Fight Club very overrated.
I get a lot of incredulous responses in regards to it.
So long as you understand that his name is Robert Paulson, I'll be ok.

It was SUCH an inventive film to me. That and 12 Monkeys live in a certain kind of cult classic that the only name I have for is "like Fight Club or 12 Monkeys".
It was extremely inventive, but. Fell a part the last half hour when he has a metaphysical fight against/within himself and it becomes a little ridiculous. And the ending as well. The last 30 mins or so nearly (nearly) ruins it

Movie Forums Extra
I don't hate it, but I don't like Joker, too depressing. I don't know why everyone was so into it.

I don't hate it, but I don't like Joker, too depressing. I don't know why everyone was so into it.
Joker depressing? Jeez, don't watch any Konstantin Lopushanskiy films.

Recent movies I just did not like that seemed popular:

Baby Driver
Hacksaw Ridge
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Hateful 8

I'll somewhat agree with Baby Driver. It wasn't bad, but I was really puzzled by the praise it received. A couple (but not many!) good car chases, and not much else. I expected some, heh, twists and turns, some clever conceits or ideas, and it was boringly straightforward.

Account terminated on request
WARNING: "American Beauty" spoilers below
Really? I thought him dying was kind of the whole point. He even spoils it during the opening narration ("in less than a year, I'll be dead") and even reminds you that the third act of the movie takes place during the last day of his life. It's what the whole film is building up to - he feels dead inside already and decides to rebel against his stifling lifestyle, which is ironically the main contributing factor to him ultimately being murdered at the end of the film (though you could argue that every character's suburban malaise and their attempts to break free from him ultimately play a role in causing his death).

Still wouldn't call it a good movie, but that part at least makes sense.
Just found this ^^^^ now.

When writers are up against a wall and put in a disjointed ending, they certainly know how to add a sentence or two in the beginning and middle to try to feebly tie it together.

Having "in less than a year" show up doesn't change the discontinuity with the rest of the story. It just doesn't flow properly IMO. An entire movie about finding yourself and seizing the day only to have a death in the end like that?

And even worse: To have the wife even contemplating killing him? That didn't flow either; She wasn't developed throughout the story as a psycho murderer. That whole thing was just weird.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Donny Darko

It's a shallow wimp remake of the awesome Jacobs Ladder
Replace 'Nam with High School
The chiropractor with the school shrink
The demons with the stoopid bunny
And a plane going down for a bayonet in the guts

Welcome to the human race...
Just found this ^^^^ now.

When writers are up against a wall and put in a disjointed ending, they certainly know how to add a sentence or two in the beginning and middle to try to feebly tie it together.

Having "in less than a year" show up doesn't change the discontinuity with the rest of the story. It just doesn't flow properly IMO. An entire movie about finding yourself and seizing the day only to have a death in the end like that?

And even worse: To have the wife even contemplating killing him? That didn't flow either; She wasn't developed throughout the story as a psycho murderer. That whole thing was just weird.
That's a presumptive thing to say about the writer's process, though - for all you know, the ending was the first thing he thought of and the whole film was always going to build up to it from the beginning. If anything, I would think that having a film about a character seizing the day actually end in his completely sudden and unexpected (for him) death drives that point home better than anything else could.

As for the wife, it's clear from the start that she's already a pretty highly-strung career woman who holds herself to a high standard and only gets more frustrated as things don't go her way so it's not entirely implausible that she spirals to the point where she just contemplates murder in a moment of weakness (and if her reaction to finding her husband's body is any indication, she's definitely more grief-stricken than glad that he's dead).

A bucket of anxiety
A Clockwork Orange. I know it's considered to be a big classic, but I felt that the story became repetitive in the last third, and didn't really know how to end or explore it's subject matter that it introduced.
I saw in a YouTube video that the story was actually incomplete in the movie because only half of the book was released in America at the time.

A bucket of anxiety
Probably for the same reasons most all of us will love one version of a film, but not the other version...

People tend to bond to the first film version they see (if they like it)...then when they watch another version of the same film there's no way it can be match the first version, so their mind decides it's inferior.

I see you recently watched the movie Cats and rated it really low. I bet if you've never seen the stage play of Cats (which I believe you said you loved) then you'd have nothing to compare Cats the movie too, and so the movie would've received a higher rating from you. That would be true of me with Little Shop of Horrors. The original version is the one I seen first and bonded to, it then became my template for what Little Shop of Horrors should be like. So when I then years later see a completely different version, that second version didn't match my idea of what the film should be, thus my brain decided it was inferior to the original first version.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
I grew up with the 80s version so I understand what you mean about the one you see second being lesser to you, but I love both versions as their own thing because I quickly realized that between the two there wasn't much to compare. Plus the 80s version was following the play while the 60s was following the book. I think they're both unique, charming and cannot be replaced. I repeat: "cannot be replaced."

A bucket of anxiety
I don't hate them, I don't hate anything, I don't like them:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Citizen Kane (1941)
- Mulholland Drive (2001)
- North by Northwest (1959)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
- Casablanca (1943)
- Amadeus (1984)
- Inception (2010)
- The Departed (2006)
- Braveheart (1995)

All of them I watched at least five to ten years ago, I might like them now. Some of them I consider watchable... I might enjoy Pan's Labyrinth if I watch it again...

This ones I didn't see because I know I will dislike them:

- Alien's
- Starwars
- Gone with the Wind (1939)
I agree with Pan's Labyrinth. I'm guessing Inception just wasn't your kind of movie.

That's a presumptive thing to say about the writer's process, though - for all you know, the ending was the first thing he thought of and the whole film was always going to build up to it from the beginning

Presumptive? You're going to have to back that one up.

No. It's what I'm saying as possible and what was my opinion.

Backing up:

For instance:
Me: "When writers are up against a wall and put in a disjointed ending, they certainly know how to add a sentence or two in the beginning and middle to try to feebly tie it together."

Are you saying that it's presumptive that writers know how to do that? That's hardly a presumption on my part----they're not idiots. I didn't say it's what they DID do.

And prior to that:
Me: "I thought that having a death show up like that at the ending really smacked of the writers simply not knowing how to wrap it up."

So where did I deserve this nonsense?:
You: "That's a presumptive thing to say about the writer's process,"

Because you're arguing that the ending is "disjointed" and only happened because the writers "didn't know how to wrap it up", whereas I'm arguing that the ending is consistent with the rest of the movie in terms of theme and plot development. After all I did write "I thought him dying was kind of the whole point." so if you're trying to defend it as your opinion then just know that I'm doing the same and my arguments engage with the text (extremely flawed though it may be) rather than just blaming writers and writing stuff like "it doesn't flow properly IMO" without really backing it up.

But then again, I don't like this movie either so is it really worth arguing over the finer points of why neither of us like it?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I read it presumptive to state that because writers in general know how to do something, then that alone proves this writer did exactly that. I mean, people are capable of putting coins in jars; therefore, I know that there must be around $20 worth of coins in the jar of Peter Pan Crunchy peanut butter I bought earlier at the grocery store.

I read it presumptive to state that because writers in general know how to do something, then that alone proves this writer did exactly that. I mean, people are capable of putting coins in jars; therefore, I know that there must be around $20 worth of coins in the jar of Peter Pan Crunchy peanut butter I bought earlier at the grocery store.

I made no such statement of "proof". As in none. Nowhere. No how.

I'm curious what you two would have preferred for my wording.

1. I said what it seemed like to me.
  2. He said something akin to "but that ending was set up in the beginning" (again, just words to that rough effect).
  3. I said that setting it up in the beginning doesn't mean anything; it's still a disconnected concept IMO.

(?) Where was the presumption?

The presumption is that you seem to think that calling the film disconnected because "it just feels like it IMO" without much in the way of further explanation is a sufficient argument against it. I would have preferred a better argument for why it's so disjointed and disconnected than just going "IMO" over and over again and then deciding that the best response to my counter-arguments is to get caught up on being called "presumptive" rather than argue based on the film itself. It's one thing to talk about how the writing "feels" bad, but that's not the same as making a well-rounded argument for why the writing feels bad, which is why my arguments revolve around how the ending connects on a thematic and narrative level that's consistent with the rest of the film (not just the beginning).

I saw in a YouTube video that the story was actually incomplete in the movie because only half of the book was released in America at the time.
It's more like the original book had 21 chapters and the American version only had 20 - the last chapter would've involved

WARNING: "A Clockwork Orange (book)" spoilers below
Alex having started up a new gang after getting out of hospital only to meet up with one of his old gang members who had become a normal member of society and eventually coming to the conclusion that he should also grow up and join society instead of just being a delinquent

which would've radically altered the point of the story. I think Kubrick was aware of this "extra" chapter but still decided not to include it as part of his adaptation anyway.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
There's Something About Mary.

A lot of people love it, especially when it first came out. But it was too stupid I think. There's good stupid and bad, and this was just bad stupid for me.