Movies you PRAY they never remake

Tools    

Account terminated on request
(This must exist already. I can never find anything in search.) Tell me where it is please.

There are movies that many of us are so hoping they never remake because of the chance of ruining it.

For me the list is (not in order):
The Godfather (in any fashion).

Dune (too late, twice now).

Animal House

Fight Club

ANY of the Python stuff. Christ, I'll buy a sniper rifle.
You have any top favorites?
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Welcome to the human race...
I feel like this thread does already exist, but I don't know if there's really that much point to the topic since I daresay that it's far too easy to name classics (or favourites) that shouldn't be remade than it is to name flawed films that could theoretically be improved by a remake. Saying they shouldn't remake The Godfather kind of goes without saying, does it not?

I generally hate the idea of beloved classics being remade (see my posts on West Side Story)...but there are times when a fresh look (if done right) can be interesting. So don't be hatin' on me for this
I'd like to see The Godfather saga be remade as a mini series by Netflix/HBO etc. There was way too much material in the source books for the length of the movie...and the entire structure of the Godfather movies feels like an on-going story, like a Netflix style original series.

Dune
, I'm one of the few fans of Frank Herbert's Dune novel and the original David Lynch theatrical cut of Dune. But the bloated, extended cut sucks. Anyone who has read the book knows that there's much more supposition and nuances to the novel, than could be ever squeezed into the original movie, so I'm hoping the next Dune is a success and long enough to accommodate the entire first novel.

Animal House, I don't really care about that movie to much, I guess I liked it back in the day. But if it was remade it's no doubt it would be stupefyingly dumb and a big flop.

Fight Club, never seen it but I'm surprised that such a successful movie hasn't already spawned a couple of sequels and at least one prequel.

Python movies, far too unique...and much of the uniqueness is due to the Python cast members, so no way could these films be duplicated. If someone was stupid enough to try they'd bomb as Python fans are loyal..and either one is a Python fan (I am) or they're not. Either way there's not much built in interest in remaking them.

Hey this could be a game! One person post movies they pray are never remade...and the next gives their opinion on the viability of such endeavors.

My list of films I pray they never remake!

Titanic

Amélie

Gone With The Wind

American Graffiti

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I feel like this thread does already exist, but I don't know if there's really that much point to the topic since I daresay that it's far too easy to name classics (or favourites) that shouldn't be remade than it is to name flawed films that could theoretically be improved by a remake. Saying they shouldn't remake The Godfather kind of goes without saying, does it not?
I see it as the difference between

1. stellar movie that likely couldn't be done better but if they remade it, I could deal. I have no emotional investment in it.
  2. landmark movie that would really bother me if they tried (it's one I really don't want them messing with). Leave it alone or I'll be pissed, kind of thing.

They are distinct concepts.

For instance, Pulp Fiction is as near perfect as it could get IMO, but it wouldn't ruin my day if someone attempted to remake it. But keep your @#$%ing mitts offa Animal House, which is far from that level of perfect, but should never be touched, I don't care HOW much better you could make it.

I generally hate the idea of beloved classics being remade (see my posts on West Side Story)...but there are times when a fresh look (if done right) can be interesting. So don't be hatin' on me for this
I'd like to see The Godfather saga be remade as a mini series by Netflix/HBO etc. There was way too much material in the source books for the length of the movie...and the entire structure of the Godfather movies feels like an on-going story, like a Netflix style original series.

Dune
, I'm one of the few fans of Frank Herbert's Dune novel and the original David Lynch theatrical cut of Dune. But the bloated, extended cut sucks. Anyone who has read the book knows that there's much more supposition and nuances to the novel, than could be ever squeezed into the original movie, so I'm hoping the next Dune is a success and long enough to accommodate the entire first novel.

Animal House, I don't really care about that movie to much, I guess I liked it back in the day. But if it was remade it's no doubt it would be stupefyingly dumb and a big flop.

Fight Club, never seen it but I'm surprised that such a successful movie hasn't already spawned a couple of sequels and at least one prequel.

Python movies, far too unique...and much of the uniqueness is due to the Python cast members, so no way could these films be duplicated. If someone was stupid enough to try they'd bomb as Python fans are loyal..and either one is a Python fan (I am) or they're not. Either way there's not much built in interest in remaking them.

Hey this could be a game! One person post movies they pray are never remade...and the next gives their opinion on the viability of such endeavors.

Titanic

Amélie

Gone With The Wind

American Graffiti

Excellent idea.

Dune

Titanic

Amélie

Gone With The Wind

American Graffiti

This might seem like a dumb question, but why would you care about a movie you've never seen being remade?

Welcome to the human race...
If you've seen it, you'll understand why.

I see it as the difference between

1. stellar movie that likely couldn't be done better but if they remade it, I could deal. I have no emotional investment in it.
  2. landmark movie that would really bother me if they tried (it's one I really don't want them messing with). Leave it alone or I'll be pissed, kind of thing.

They are distinct concepts.

For instance, Pulp Fiction is as near perfect as it could get IMO, but it wouldn't ruin my day if someone attempted to remake it. But keep your @#$%ing mitts offa Animal House, which is far from that level of perfect, but should never be touched, I don't care HOW much better you could make it.
I just find it a little hard to care about the existence of remakes in relation to their sources. Either they're good and they equal/surpass their originals or they're bad and they only make the original seem better before being forgotten. It's a win-win, really. Of course, the idea that it's a waste of resources that could've gone into anything else...that's the real problem with remakes.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Parasite, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

It's funny how I don't want to see Parasite remade, but there are other foreign films, that I think would be interesting if remade by Hollywood. Not sure if that's a double standard on my part.

I just find it a little hard to care about the existence of remakes in relation to their sources.

Sounds like you'll be avoiding this thread then.

Parasite, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

It's funny how I don't want to see Parasite remade, but there are other foreign films, that I think would be interesting if remade by Hollywood. Not sure if that's a double standard on my part.

Nope, not a double standard. This is by definition a subjective exercise. Opine away.

The Matrix & Rocky movies

Matrix is ok to remake IMO.

ROCKY, <------GREAT CALL! I had forgotten about that!

Rocky and Back To The Future specifically

But overall, I'm tired of remakes, reboots, sequels, prequels, spinoffs....

Hollywood has gotten lazy and lack originality, imagination, and inspiration. Just a bunch of ******* producers who are after a quick and easy buck, and the audiences are stupid enough to fall for it and pay the price of admission.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I've not seen it, but I heard, "What happens in Fight Club stays in Fight Club', so I guess that's why no one talks about it

Brilliant film IMO; see it sooner than later. It's not gritty for gritty sake. Nor is it cult-ish for cult-ish sake. That's all for now. Let me know when you do see it.

Rocky
[...]
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

This one is my favorite (from 2, it's only 14 seconds):