A Trip Down Memory Lane.

Tools    

Not sure if this kinda topic has been posted before. Something I have been thinking about for a while.

As the title implies this is a trip into the past.. a walk down memory lane.. a slice of nostalgia. Talk about anything that pertains to your development.. those growing years that were so vital to us all. I have already spoken of my school days on this forum. Where were you educated? Where did you live during your childhood. What were your hobbies...etc. C'mon dont be coy.

spookie.

Happy 2nd Anniversary, Spookie!

I was just wondering where you've been, and then like a specter you reappear out of thin air. BTW did you know MoFo is doing a Top 100 Horror Movie Countdown? That should be right up your haunted alley, so check it out. Nostro is the host and he's doing a bloody good job

Me, I've always been here...that's here, as in here where I live. I'm like a permanent fixture. And I wasn't educated, so that's why I can't spell and don't know all those fancy grammar rules. When I was a kid I guess my hobby was keeping tropical fish and I still do that! Though I hardly have any free time.

Hello Orson. How are things? Just talk about incidences that have stayed in your mind from childhood. I will take a look at the Horror Movie Countdown. Just popped back to see if I can get any traction with my new topic. You Yanks I have found are very private people.. so am probably wasting my time.

Take for instance where and what was your first ever movie. I can remember mine. It was at boarding school and the movie was The Haunting(1963) with Richard Johnson and the delectable Claire Bloom. Probably why it has remained one of my top creepie films.

My earliest movie in the theater memory is Disney's Snow White. This was obviously when it returned to the theaters in the 60's as I wasn't alive in 1937!

I have 2 memories of it... I think my parents took me and my brothers to see it at a drive-in. (The "Turnpike Cinema" in East Brunswick to be precise where many years later I'd go with my buddy Dan to watch "Bad Boys" - the cool movie with that title about teenagers in a juvenile prison, starring Sean Penn! Dan died in 1990. )
When we went to see Snow White I think I was in my pajamas as I was just a toddler at the time - I don't remember watching the movie, I probably just slept in the back of the car. At one point my mother took me to see the movie indoors. She said I was scared by either the Queen or the Magic Mirror and cried to the point where she had to take me out of the theater! I do vaguely remember this.

Take for instance where and what was your first ever movie. I can remember mine. It was at boarding school and the movie was The Haunting(1963) with Richard Johnson and the delectable Claire Bloom. Probably why it has remained one of my top creepie films.
This reminds me of the first time I was left at home completely alone for an entire evening. I'm guessing I was about 9 years-old. So what did I find to watch on TV? The Legend of Hell House (1973). Big mistake for a kid home all alone after dark for the first time!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
First movie memories include a drive in of The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. I was also obsessed with The Private Eyes. Some of the other memories include asking dad for permission to watch Heavy Metal on HBO. He said no. I watched it anyway and it freaked me out. Same story for Terminator.

I remember hiding in the hallway catching bits of An American Werewolf in London and Altered States. I fell asleep on the floor watching E.T. in theater.

This reminds me of the first time I was left at home completely alone for an entire evening. I'm guessing I was about 9 years-old. So what did I find to watch on TV? The Legend of Hell House (1973). Big mistake for a kid home all alone after dark for the first time!
I reckon. Hell House is in my Top 20.

My earliest movie in the theater memory is Disney's Snow White...When we went to see Snow White I think I was in my pajamas as I was just a toddler at the time - I don't remember watching the movie, I probably just slept in the back of the car...
Ahh, the good old days when one could wear their pajamas to a movie I only had a vague memory of one image from my first movie, which I saw while wearing pajamas in the back seat of my parent's car. I remember it was a western and a man held up a cross and was shot. Decades later I was watching the a movie and seen that scene again. I recognized the staging and angle right away, even though I was just a little kid when I had last seen it. I guess that even at that tender age I was in movie training for MoFo The movie was For a Few Dollars More.

I was lucky in that my cousins lived next door to a drive in theatre. Meant we kids could see the flick for nothing from their backyard. No sound of course but you cant have everything. They pulled down the drive in the 80s from memory.

I have several memories of my earliest movie experiences. The most vivid was Samson and Delilah (1949) with Victor Mature and the drop dead gorgeous Hedy Lamar. It was in Technicolor, which wasn't that common then. The images of the blinded Samson and his toppling of the temple are still clear to me today.

Others at that time were The Black Rose (1950) and The African Queen (1951). I recall seeing Quo Vadis (1951). Our neighborhood theater had a chest high wall in the back, with glass up to the ceiling. During the part where the Christians were fed to the lions, my mother took me behind the wall so I couldn't see the scene, but that she could look over my head at the action!..

~Doc

I have several memories of my earliest movie experiences. The most vivid was Samson and Delilah (1949) with Victor Mature and the drop dead gorgeous Hedy Lamar. It was in Technicolor, which wasn't that common then. The images of the blinded Samson and his toppling of the temple are still clear to me today.

Others at that time were The Black Rose (1950) and The African Queen (1951). I recall seeing Quo Vadis (1951). Our neighborhood theater had a chest high wall in the back, with glass up to the ceiling. During the part where the Christians were fed to the lions, my mother took me behind the wall so I couldn't see the scene, but that she could look over my head at the action!..

~Doc
Hi Doc hows things. Samson and Delilah was one of my first flicks too. When Samson brings down the temple is a memorable movie moment.

Who remembers the candy and other confectionery you could buy at the movies. We here in Australia had a huge assortment of local produce from which to choose. Reason I grew up with a sweet tooth. I was amazed to discover that much of that early confectionery (candy) is still available today... tho some are no longer Australian-owned. See below.
https://www.lollywarehouse.com.au/pr...c-retro-candy/

You Yanks I have found are very private people.. so am probably wasting my time.
LOL. So untrue. One of the things I like about them. Sit down next to an American for a 3 hour flight & you will know their entire life story by the time the plane lands.

When did you get television and what was the best tv show you can remember? I reckon Australia was introduced to television a little after America. I was at boarding school and our strict masonic masters allowed us boys the princely viewing time of one hour per week nite and two hours on the weekend. It was not until school holidays that I got hooked on such shows as Whirly Birds, Cannonball, Rin -Tin-Tin and Superman. Cant forget Looney Tunes cartoons. Who remembers these shows. Any others to add? .

A couple television memories.

Moon landing - I was about 4 years old. I remember it being on TV in the next room, with the whole family glued to our black & white TV set, while I played with my toys, having no interest in it. I obviously didn't understand its history-making importance at the time - which is so different from how I'd become: very interested in space flight, the space program, NASA and astronomy.

First memory of color TV - was at my aunt's house. I guess she was the first person we knew who had a color TV. I remember seeing the Aquaman cartoon (by Filmation) and always remembered how orange his shirt was. (I'd probably seen it before, but had no idea what color it was!) This was the same aunt, btw, that would later be the first person we knew to have cable!

We'd also go to my aunt's to watch the Wizard of Oz when it was shown on TV, so the kids could be dazzled when the film goes to color!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
When did you get television and what was the best tv show you can remember? I reckon Australia was introduced to television a little after America. I was at boarding school and our strict masonic masters allowed us boys the princely viewing time of one hour per week nite and two hours on the weekend. It was not until school holidays that I got hooked on such shows as Whirly Birds, Cannonball, Rin -Tin-Tin and Superman. Cant forget Looney Tunes cartoons. Who remembers these shows. Any others to add? .

I always had a TV in my room even when I was a baby because my parents watched it whenever they were in my room. That's probably why I'm so addicted to TV. I have a TV in every room, and at least one of them is always on when I'm home, even if it's just for the background noise. I even sleep with the TV on. (I've actually been woken up by the silence a few times when we had power outages in the middle of the night.)

My favorite TV show is "The Dick Van Dyke Show", followed closely by "The Big Bang Theory".

We did a MoFo TV Shows Countdown a while back, and this was my Top Ten list for the countdown:

1) The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961 - 1966)
2) The Big Bang Theory (2007 - Current)
3) Stark Raving Mad (1999 - 2000)
4) Columbo (1971 - 2003)
5) Castle (2009 - 2016)
6) Star Trek (1966 - 1969)
7) Becker (1998 - 2004)
9) My Favorite Martian (1963 - 1966)
10) The Carol Burnett Show (1967 - 1978)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A couple television memories.

Moon landing - I was about 4 years old. I remember it being on TV in the next room, with the whole family glued to our black & white TV set, while I played with my toys, having no interest in it. I obviously didn't understand its history-making importance at the time - which is so different from how I'd become: very interested in space flight, the space program, NASA and astronomy.

First memory of color TV - was at my aunt's house. I guess she was the first person we knew who had a color TV. I remember seeing the Aquaman cartoon (by Filmation) and always remembered how orange his shirt was. (I'd probably seen it before, but had no idea what color it was!) This was the same aunt, btw, that would later be the first person we knew to have cable!

We'd also go to my aunt's to watch the Wizard of Oz when it was shown on TV, so the kids could be dazzled when the film goes to color!

I vaguely remember watching the Moon Landing on the big TV in the den. I remember my parents trying to explain to me what was happening, and why it was so important, but I don't think I really understood what it was at the time.

I remember watching the superhero cartoons when I was a kid, but I only have vague memories of the actual cartoons. The theme songs however are stuck in my head forever.

I grew up in London, we lived in a 1st floor apartment, I remember opposite our apartment block was a row of shops, one of the shops was a barbers owned by an elderly Jewish guy, he had a black and white TV in his shop and would allow us to watch it as he cleaned up before closing, my parents couldn't afford a TV at the time. I also remember really bad winters, the snow was thick on the ground outside, schools would close and transport would come to a stop.
During the summer we would make go-carts, using old pram wheels and odd bits of wood, we would make some very dodgy go-carts, mine did seem to last the duration of the summer though so maybe I was displaying my early skills as a mechanic! 😀