Apple - Android Apps Discussion

Tools    

I recently got a new Android tablet & an Ipod touch.

So wanted to have a thread on my favorite forum about the Apps that fellow members use around here. I am new to this world, I am no techfreak.

So what are your recommendations, but besides this thread being about me, I'd like to hear your inputs about your usage, etc..

What are the most essential apps or apps that you can't do without?..

& lets mostly limit the thread to free apps.

Well - I got an iPad 3 a few months ago, so im still ramping up, but here's a few:

GAMES:

Temple Run - Free
and while I was at a party, some friends downloaded Temple Run. An EXCELLENT time waster.

Agent Dash - Free
Temple Run, with more options, and a lusher landscape. Prettier.

Unword - 0.99
My friend made this game, so I bought it, and I pub it - its actually really fun.

Zombie Highway Lite - Free
Car driving game where you zombies of varying strengths jump on either side of the vehicle, you have to either shoot them off or scrape them off before they tip you or crash you. Varying weapons and vehicles. EXCELLENT time waster. Ended up buying the 0.99 version.

Paper Toss - Free
This is on Android as well, and is the bomb! I have it on both my Android Phone and iPad.

Overkill - Free
Shooting game where you take out enemies from a shooting stall. Various weapons and difficulties.

Dark Meadow - The Pact - Free
Immersive FPS game that is an intense horror/zombie game. A must-have for fans of the genre with an iPad. Did I mention free?

Dead Trigger - Free
FPS game where you have various missions around the city.

Highway Rider - Free
Motorcycle game where you basically ride and try to miss roadblocks and cops. Throwback to the 90s nintendo road rage games.

STUFF:

Netflix
Groupon
Puffin Browser (plays flash video)
OverDrive - allows you to download ebooks from your library
Yahoo Fantasy Football
Flex: player - file sharing app which plays all types of movie files
OPlayerHD Lite - free file sharing app which plays all types of files - including mp3s, etc.
Comixology - free comic reader, occasionally has free issues
Slate Magazine - free
BBC News - free
USA Today - free
NPR - free
iTunes U
iBooks

FREE MAGAZINES
Modern Luxury Magazine (for each city, mine is Chicago Social) - free Newsstand Mag
Cineworld - free UK film/movie Newsstand mag
TRVL - free travel Newsstand mag
Chicago Social Interiors - free Modern Luxury mag
Chicago Social Brides - free Modern Luxury mag - one in major cities

I am currently hooked onto these.

Free Ones:-
Punch Quest - Imagine a 2D Temple Run where you have to punch your way through.. interesting powerups. I am in love with this game.

Pocket Planes - Airline business simulation game, very addictive. & the best thing about it is that you can play it while you're at work. sort of like Tamagotchi, open it when you have free time for a minute & exit to resume later.

Tiny Tower - same as above, infact same developer.
You have to manage a building/tower.
Available on Android as well.

Jaws - Fun game based on the movie.

Supersonic - You can load up your music tracks & it designs a sort of neon lit tunnel to go through based on the music, has great built-in music as well.

Paid apps (But try the lite versions to get the idea of it.):-

Super Mega Worm - Imagine if you could control one of the worms from Tremors set in an 8bit universe... You can dig through the earth, feed on humans, livestock. Leap to destroy helicopters..
I highly recommend this.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene - A trippy update of the classic game.. this is unlike anything you've ever seen. Just youtube the video for this to get the idea.
The visuals are psychedelic. Has great music too..

Sword & Sworcery EP - This one is also available for the pc now. A surreal take on fantasy rpgs like Zelda, set in a trippy 8-bitish landscapes. & the music is a whole different experience altogether.

there's a frog in my snake oil
My favourite is Godwin's Flamewar, a game of two fanboi armies hurling themselves into an oblivion of apoplexy. It's free.

---
Kiddings . (But please, can we not descend into OS spleen-rending? )
---

Just realised how cheap (free!) smartphones can be - so got an HTC One S. Loving it so far. Mainly going on other people's recos at the mo:

Practical stuff:
  • Tweetdeck - use it for work so added. I hear there's better out there tho.
  • MyDataManger - to check/set my call/wifi limits etc
  • avast! - virus checker etc.
  • Rainy Days - might be useful for UK this? Quite fine-grained cloud/rain predictions

Wishlist:
  • A way of reading & 'annotating' web articles while offline & then prepping them for reupload to 'cloud'. This is for my tube commute. [Currently I'm saving them as PDFs, renaming once I've read em, then emailing to myself when back online. Thinking dropbox will help speed this up maybe on the second stage]
  • Cool stuff I haven't thought of yet

Mini-ipad = (Half the specs. + Twice the price)

What a bargain!

Apple had a few bad public moments recently. Their enemies and many who simply don't like Apple must be very pleased.