41.89%
31 votes
Darren Aronofsky
4.05%
3 votes
They both suck!
74 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I saw those two first, so that might have something to do with it

Memento appears to look great but if it was shot in chronological order, the story is bland.
That's not a valid point. It's the WAY the story is told that's most important, and Memento emphases that. You saw the finished film chronological version, right? Then judge it on that, not the cliched 'Memento isn't as good when reversed argument. Thats tired, dude.

I saw those two first, so that might have something to do with it
Not to sound like a wanker, but you can't call yourself a Nolan fan and not care for Memento. That's like being a Hitchcock fan and not appreciating Psycho or being an Orson Welles fan and saying you didn't care for Citizen Kane

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Of both of these guys, I'll pick Nolan. The Dark Knight and Inception are among my favorite all-time movies, and Memento was brilliant, because all these movies mixed great ideas with gripping action (which is usually what happens when a talented director is given a huge budget). With Aronofsky, he shows us his ideas in a more subtle way, which works for his style of directing. That being said, I was disappointed by The Fountain (didn't hate it though, as it was still entertaining to watch), but I loved The Wrestler and Black Swan for the stories and amazing acting (Mickey Rourke was snubbed, in my opinion).

Well you shouldn't be an idolizer, you should be a film fan
I am a film fan. MASSIVE film fan like yourself, and I can't stress that enough. It's just that somebody I idolize happens to be a very important filmmaker.

That's not what I'm referring to. Who are you to say a Nolan fan is not allowed to dislike one of his films? I don't care if it's your favorite, I don't care if it's Nolan's favorite, there's something wrong with discrediting film fans when they don't align with a popularized opinion.

Hey, I appreciate a different opinion, but as i'm sure everybody knows by now, Memento is, in my and many others opinion, Christopher Nolan's best film. If he says he didn't care for it then i'm going to go about challenging him on that. There's no malice in what I said, I just feel very strongly when somebody says they admire somebody, but didn't care about his best film. It's a little bit of an oxymoron.

I don't know, but I think what Prestige meant was that Memento is the embodiment of a Nolan film, whereas the other two are more Hollywood. Batman is a franchise and Inception is a blockbuster.

I'm not sure I agree with that, in reference to Inception, but as that might not be what Pres was going for, I'm not going to say he's wrong.

Hey, I appreciate a different opinion, but as i'm sure everybody knows by now, Memento is, in my and many others opinion, Christopher Nolan's best film. If he says he didn't care for it then i'm going to go about challenging him on that. There's no malice in what I said, I just feel very strongly when somebody says they admire somebody, but didn't care about his best film. It's a little bit of an oxymoron.
Then appreciate it by not telling him that he's not a fan. No one has ever had a problem with challenging an opinion, but you had no tact. Plus, it's not his best film, there's no such thing, so your reasoning is silly, especially considering he likes Nolan in general. It's like Lutherans making fun of Catholics, you're the same damn thing.

I'd sooner rewatch TDK than Memento or Inception, I think. It's probably partly due to my bias for those characters, but I just think it's a more immediately gripping and thoroughly fun film. I'd even venture that it may be his best film. Since I've last rewatched Memento, I was impressed by Pearce's performance as usual and how the story is presented, but I find much more that appeals to me with TDK. I need to give Inception a rewatch eventually to really concretize my opinion of it, but it still isn't TDK.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I don't know, but I think what Prestige meant was that Memento is the embodiment of a Nolan film, whereas the other two are more Hollywood. Batman is a franchise and Inception is a blockbuster.

I'm not sure I agree with that, in reference to Inception, but as that might not be what Pres was going for, I'm not going to say he's wrong.
This wasn't necessarily what I was getting at. It's true that his signature is a little less evident in his bigger films due to the obligations that go with them, but I think he was of the few directors who will treat both wide audiences and the indie film audiences the exact same way.

Then appreciate it by not telling him that he's not a fan. No one has ever had a problem with challenging an opinion, but you had no tact. Plus, it's not his best film, there's no such thing, so your reasoning is silly, especially considering he likes Nolan in general. It's like Lutherans making fun of Catholics, you're the same damn thing.
Looking back, I think I had more of a problem with the way he said rather than his actual opinion. Had he said that he prefers Inception and The Dark Knight over Memento, I probably wouldn't have responded. Him saying he 'didn't care' for Memento made me think that he thought it was a weak film in general or something, hence my reaction. Again, I wasn't trying to belittle him or anything just telling it like it is.

The best way I can think to sum up how I feel about it is, if I had a choice between watching Fountain or DK, I'd be happy enough with either but would choose one above the other depending on my mood. I love the abstract way The Fountain contemplates its subjects of mortality and love and deeper meaning, and I also love the cleverness and finely modulated tension of Dark Knight.

Memento isn't a downright bad film, but it's certainly not a great one either. Inception is, in my opinion, Memento times ten; every bit as abstract and creative but also a whole lot more fun.

I have to go with Nolan on this one. Aronofsky is fantastic, don't get me wrong. I am always impressed with his movies. Nolan however sends me past the point of impressed to completely mind-blown. For that, I have to give him the edge.

I'm a fan of Nolan, I would have his babies. So far all of his movies are wonderful and the Batman series is definitely my favorite.

not a fan of both,although The Dark Knight is a flawless movie in my opinion,but other Nolan films were a disappointment for me.Aronofsky is not my type either,Requiem For A Dream and The Wrestler are good,but only them. :/

I don't think these two directors are very much alike, aside from the fact they are both immensely talented.

I love Nolan's work. The first film I saw by him was The Prestige, which is still my favorite Nolan picture. I have, of course, now seen all of his films. I don't think he has any limits and will remain an important and crowd pleasing director of big budget studio films.

Darren Aronofsky holds a special status with me. I place him alongside Stanley Kubrick for his mastery of craft, and beside Orson Welles for his genius. Terry Gilliam is another director I would put in his class. Also, John Cassavetes and Nic Refn. I consider each of Darren's five films, counting from Pi, to be perfect. I could easily list one or all as being on my top ten simply because I cannot judge any other films I have seen to be "better".