Don Quixote movie

Tools    

I love this book... & was just thinking has there even been a good adaptation of this.
I know that Gilliam has been struggling to make one for ages. But what about the existing ones, are there any good ones?? I am sure the french have adapted this as well..

I remember there was one starring Peter O'toole.

I think Gilliam is actually getting it off the ground for the third (?) time with Robert Duvall for 2011. Orson Welles did a ****** one, there was a Russian ballet one....The one with O'Tool was called Man Of La Mancha. I'm sure there's a thousand others

Have you read this monster? It's long as hell. I started it maybe a month ago, but it got REAL BORING for me. When do the windmills even come in for chrissakes? I mean that whole twenty pages of sonnets and sh*t...

j/k, I drop a lot of books and start them up again later. I think I know enough about the story already anyways.

Welles's prolly rocks hard, btw. I need to check it out. It's unfinished though, I believe??????

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There is a 1957 Russian version which a friend of mine saw years ago and says is very good, but I've never had a chance to watch it or even seen it available anywhere.

Russia eh? Was it commissioned by Krushchev or something? Fascinating cross-cultural connection there.

orson welles struggled with a film adaptation of don quixote as a pet project for a very long time but it was left unfinished. I'm not sure if it's available, i saw a pretty bad european dvd collection of edited footage from the movie at our university library a while ago, it's very incomplete.

I've seen the Catalan film Honor de cavalleria I was made to watch it by one of my friends as her cousin's in it. It's a kind of experimental Quixote film, low budget and with non actors. Shot in a naturalistic fashion with no lighting while wandering around the countryside sometimes in complete darkness. I hestitate to recommend it to you.

Semper Fooey
The Peter O' Tolle is awful. Sophia Loren does her own singing and can't sing. I saw a TV version decades ago with Rex Harrison and it was boring. I believe there is a British version from the 1930s, but haven't seen it.

This is the best version i could find.

Any live performance of A Man of La Mancha by a competant professional troop of experienced actors who can act, sing, and dance is worth seeing, especially with good sets that transform a Spanish dungeon into the plains of Spain and back again. It's a grand tale of the triumphant spirit of man against all opression.

But avoid like the plague the horrible movie they made of that wonderful play, a film that stars Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren--he can't sing, not well enough for what that score demands; she can neither sing nor act. Copies of that film should have leper's warning bells attached with "Unclean!" stamped in red on its covers! How can people burn books but still let a film that bad survive????

Man of La Mancha is meant for the intimacy and imagination of the stage; taking it out of doors into the real world only makes it meager, not better. Same can be said of Evita, which I've seen and loved many times on stage. Madonna should be horsewhipped for her conceit in making it a movie vehicle for her.

I saw Man of La Mancha and really liked it, made me tear up which doesn't happen frequently. This could be good.

This might just do nobody any good.
I won’t believe it until ive seen the credits roll.

I've seen two versions:

Don Quixote (Orson Welles)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104121/

El caballero Don Quijote (Manuel Gutiérrez Aragón)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292466

Same can be said of Evita, which I've seen and loved many times on stage. Madonna should be horsewhipped for her conceit in making it a movie vehicle for her.
Totally
For a good film interpretation there's the Argentinian Eva Perón (1996, dir: Juan Carlos Desanzo). The film's okay but Esther Goris is magnificent as Evita.

This might just do nobody any good.
So, Gillian lost a court case and no longer holds the rights to the film.

So, y’know, business as usual.

I'm sort of done with Gilliam I'm afraid. Somewhere along the line he started to irritate me. The lack of a decent mention for Michael Kamen on the Munchausen DVD was probably the turning point.

There is already one documentary movie about Gilliam's nightmare trying to make this film. The sad part is that, at this point, one movie doesn't begin to scratch the surface; they could make a Marvel Cinematic Universe sized franchise of movies about Gilliam's (still continuing) nightmare trying to make and release the film.