Favourite Writer

Tools    

Just saw that there was no thread for Screenwriters.
Indeed.

No...wait. Clicky HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

very difficult question but still try to answer this, my favorite is after lots of confusion...I would say James Cameron for Avatar,he had written a wonderful script and movie had already proved this...

Interesting post,my favorite is woody allen,joel coen and ethan coen.

One fella who has gone way up in my estimation is guy by the name of Aaron Sorkin.

His "Social network" script was an absolute jaw dropper.

He invented the girlfriend which begins the film; this implies emotional revenge is more important to Zuckerberg then business acumen.

Take a simple thing like the business card bit. As a come on, Sean Parker tells him his little idea is going to be a billion dollar company. "Your business card is going to say: I'm the CEO, Beyotch!" When Facebook gets it's millionth member, in addition to the party to celebrate he also orders new business cards. The two boxes are delivered to his desk. Parker says what's that? But before the reveal, they cut to the party sequence where is new second in command is arrested on cocaine possession. Then, all alone in the office he opens the box. But this supposed moment of joy now resonants with all the back stabbing that got him there.

The Winklevoss twins exist almost metaphorically as a counterpoint to Zuckerberg's ascension in the business world. After they issued the cease and desist order, they are informed that Zuckerberg is expanding while they are in a stationary rowing basin. At the regatta scenes they lose by a thousand of a second, but business like rowing, being first is everything. Zuckerberg nosed them out of a billion dollar company in the same way. Also the Vinklehoss twins (played by a single actor) is a clever wink at Fincher's own "Fight club".

One of my favorite screenwriters is Guillermo Arriaga. His non-linear plots are interesting and stay far away from the rising and falling action of conventional Hollywood storytelling. Two of my other top choices are director that write their own material. Wes Anderson and Quentin Tarantino both stand out to me as auteurs whose dialogue and narrative are as, or more, important to their style as the visual component of their films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know. We must have discussed genius writers before. You've got Ben Hecht, Robert Riskin, John Huston, Preston Sturges, Billy Wilder, Richard Brooks, Paddy Chayevsky, John Michael Hayes, Ernest Lehman, Peter Stone, William Goldman and that just about takes us up to the mid-1970s. (Feel free to add some non-English-writing writers here,) I imagine that someone will want to pick up the torch and start with Robert Towne...

I love Woody Allen, Paul Mazursky and Almodovar, but that's it for now.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
One fella who has gone way up in my estimation is guy by the name of Aaron Sorkin.

His "Social network" script was an absolute jaw dropper.

He invented the girlfriend which begins the film; this implies emotional revenge is more important to Zuckerberg then business acumen.
What do you mean he invented the girlfriend? Zuckerberg was indeed dumped by a girl, which led him to create facemash.

Suspect's Reviews

That may very well be, but it is also true that Zuckerberg had a steady girlfriend from the time that he started working on the direct product that became Facebook till now. Even more, it has been the same girl through all those years. It does not appear that he was, in reality, motivated by "emotional revenge".

Factually, it may be incorrect, but tying Zuckerberg (the character) to a hissy fit and having him create a website out of revenge is great. It's nasty and emotional. It's an immediate way to make the character "cinematically" come alive.

This wasn't an authorized hagiography, it's adapted from "The Accidental Billionaires" whose main contributor was Eduardo Saverin, Zuckerberg's friend, It's his impression of Zuckerberg's betrayal of him that's what the film is based upon. And that's sacred subjective crap, if someone believes something, I can't argue with that.

If some of the facts of his life are being twisted or they're making him out to be a some sort of evil villain; with a billion dollars, he could care less. The real Zuckerberg might actually be a real sweetheart ... just not in this film.

If some of the facts of his life are being twisted or they're making him out to be a some sort of evil villain; with a billion dollars, he could care less.
I could certainly weather some slander for that sort of spending bread.

I'm digging up this old thread because I was just pondering this question.

There are many writers whose screenplays I admire, but I'd go with Charlie Kaufman because his scripts combine an exploration of one of the final frontiers - the workings of the human mind - with very human stories. They have a great mixture of humor and emotion without being sentimental (even though sentiment/memory play a big part), and layered, yet accessible, complexity.

Genius is a word that gets used a lot, but if it applies to anyone in film it surely applies to Charlie Kaufman.

P.S. I chose to salvage this thread instead of the other one on this subject because the other one limits the discussion to writers who have never directed.

Miyazaki (he wrote every movie he directed plus several others), my favorite film author. In fact he might be the closest thing to a true auteur, the theoretical construct, since he directs, writes (both the screenplays and the source material), draws the storyboards and does much of the rest as well.

Miyazaki also wrote the Nausicaa manga, which is the possibly the best genre novel ever written (it's certainly better than Frank Ebert's Dune, any Asimov's books and Tolkien's LotR). I also liked Nausicaa more than Tolstoi's War and Peace (a book that is also clearly superior to Dune, Asimov's work and Tolkien's work). His sense of character is amazing.

Billy Wilder - he proved his undeniably sharp witted, his skillful ability in exploiting psychological aspects in such gems like Sunset Blvd, Some like it hot; that also appeared in lighthearted ones like The seven year itch, Love in the afternoon.
There are also Lamar Trotti, who wrote screenplay for John Ford's "Young Mr. Lincoln", Joseph Mankiewicz-too famous for All about Eve & The barefoot Contessa (a real smart film)......

I would say Terrence Malick & Coen Bros and Tarantino. They all make unique films and all of them have their quirky personality to make you a dedicated fan.