Lgbtq fims

Tools    

Colour out of Time
I thought I do a bit of research on this interesting subject.

Since 'alternative' sexuality has been considered taboo during various eras of our existance ... I'm curious as to when the first movies were prouced on this subject.

Reference and quotes comes from this GLBTQ Site ... glad I know what the letters stand for now

First Transsexual depicted in Film
Whereas transvestites have been depicted in film since the silent era, transsexuals (people who have undergone sex-change surgery or who choose to live as the opposite gender) entered the movies only in the early 1950s. The earliest celluloid glimpses of transsexuality appeared shortly after news of George/Christine Jorgensen's 1952 sex-change surgery shocked and mesmerized the world with headlines such as "Ex-GI Becomes Blonde Beauty," "Christine, by George!" and "Thousands in U.S. Don't Know Their True Sex."
The first movie attempting to capitalize on the story came from Ed Wood, a quirky filmmaker who was once named the "World's Worst Director." Wood's Glen or Glenda (I Changed My Sex) (1953) tells two stories, one about a transvestite, one about a transsexual.

Glen or Glenda (1953)

More Info
Think I'd like to watch this one ... Ed Wood is a hero and inspiration for my liking of schlock B-grade sci/fi horror films

First Transvestite depicted in Film
In the silent era, drag was typically a ridiculous farce that only reinforced the "comical" discrepancy between a performer's biology and his or her costume. We may think of a young Harold Lloyd disguised as a female pitcher in Spitball Sadie (1915), or Charlie Chaplin mischievously cross-dressed in A Busy Day (1914), The Masquerader (1914), and The Perfect Lady (1915).
A little more daringly, Al Christie's Rowdy Ann (1919) featured comedienne Fay Tincher as an ultra-butch cowgirl, the brawny equal of any man until she is "tamed" by the civilizing institution of marriage.
In the slapstick era, we may remember Cary Grant "suddenly going gay" in a frilly bathrobe in Howard Hawks' Bringing Up Baby (1939), or the transvestite disguise plots of Arthur Leonard's Boy! What a Girl (1945), Hawks' I Was a Male War Bride (1949), or, most famously, Billy Wilder's later, oft-imitated Some Like it Hot (1959).

As titilative comedy ... A Busy Day (1914)

More Info

Furthermore, because the standardized, apparently conservative transvestite plot is unlikely to come under much censorship, a few pre-queer drag films have managed to raise issues of queer desire even if their formulaic plots eventually demand a safe return to heterosexuality.
Here, we may think of Ernst Lubitsch's then-daring I Don't Want to be a Man! (1919), or the bisexual confusions generated by a cross-dressed Katharine Hepburn in George Cukor's Sylvia Scarlett (1935) and Renate Muller in Reinhold Schunzel's Viktor und Viktoria (1933), whose Berlin "decadence" the Nazis would soon extinguish.

More serious approach I don't want to be a Man (1918)
aka Ich möchte kein Mann sein
still
More Info

Bisexual in Film
The first documented appearances of bisexual characters in motion pictures are A Florida Enchantment (1914), an American film by Sidney Drew, and Zapatas Bande, a German film from the same year. These early silent films were not burdened by overt censorship, and filmmakers were free to represent sexuality in their characters' lives within the constraints of the mores of the period.
Still, characters' sexuality was more often implied rather than definitively stated. Depictions of homosexuality and bisexuality were often cloaked in religious themes in order to evade local censors, who frequently edited films before they were screened.

A Florida Enchantment (1914)
still
More Info

The Hays Code
Around 1915 Hollywood invented itself as the film capital of the world and along with this new industry came widespread notoriety for rampant debauchery--especially drug use and promiscuous sex--among its employees, especially performers.
Eventually deciding it needed to regulate itself before external censors did, a group of filmmakers and producers hired Will H. Hays, former Postmaster General, to draft a series of guidelines that by 1934 had become the Motion Picture Production Code, or Hays Code, which banned any explicit representation of homosexuality or bisexuality in American films. The words "gay," "homosexual," and "bisexual" could not even be uttered, and virtually no bisexual characters appeared in American films during the 1930s and 1940s. The lack of representation of bisexuals in film may have been abetted by the popular belief that bisexuality did not actually exist. Eventually, however, bold filmmakers began to release their films without adhering to the Code, which led to its complete abandonment in the 1960s.

Male Homosexual depicted in Film
A 1916 Swedish film, The Wings, seems to be one of the first overt gay screen romances; based on Herman Bang's novel, Mikael, it races through the melodrama of sculptor Claude Zoret and the elusive youth of the title. Anticipating the dominant theme of mainstream cinema over the next fifty years, their romance ends unhappily, with adopted son Mikael provoking his patron and lover to a feverish death. In The Wings at least Zoret dies of a broken heart, a genuinely romantic demise; more often, gay characters have died out of guilt or punishment.

The Wings (1916)
aka Vingarne

More Info

First Lesbian depicted in Film
This was harder to research for some reason ... had to surf around other sites for information and think that this German film was the first to depict the long between women.
Note ... if anyone can find an earlier film please post

Mädchen in Uniform (1931)
still
More Info
It was the first all women cast movie and is a sympathetc depiction of a schoolgirl crush.

Also found this one ...

Queen Christina (1933)
still
More Info
The story of Queen Christina (Greta Garbo) from her rise to the Swedish throne from the age of 5. This I mention because it may well be the first film where a bisexual actress plays a bisexual role.

I've actually debated the nature of Mysterious skin on another forum. Even though technically it could fall into this category (and obviously does for a lot of people), I personally wouldn't include it. Its central theme is pedophilia and in my mind, it overshadows everything else, including the homosexuality of one of the main characters.:\
Maybe if you consider Joseph Gordon Levitt's gay hustler storyline... otherwise, you're right. It's the same reason I didn't include L.I.E. in my list.

But... should I have excluded Girls Will Be Girls as well? It's a movie that stars a couple of drag queens who play straight women and there isn't any true homosexuality in it at all. It appeals to gay men and I guess other drag queens, transgendered people, lesbians, etc. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER, IMO. Rent it, and then watch the sequel as it spans out in episode format at www.girlswillbegirlsonline.com

[i]

I've actually debated the nature of Mysterious skin on another forum. Even though technically it could fall into this category (and obviously does for a lot of people), I personally wouldn't include it. Its central theme is pedophilia and in my mind, it overshadows everything else, including the homosexuality of one of the main characters.:\
True. It's a film about abuse. Brilliantly made film I think too.

Can't believe I forgot about this movie....

It features Miss Coco Peru (who is also in Girls Will Be Girls).

Anyway, I remember buying this movie in 2000 (on VHS) at a music store -- and even after the female sales clerk said, "This looks like a cute movie", I actually said "I'M JUST BUYING THIS FOR A FRIEND." - cause it was the first gay movie I ever bought around the time I was still struggling with coming out.

Just One of the Guys:

yes I know this is not truly a Lgbtq film: however...I was turned on a lot.

From what I remember of it, Stonewall wasn't a bad gay movie. There's a hot guy in it and he gets naked and shows his really nice butt -- he does naked pushups for his crossdressing lover. I remember that because I rewound the scene several times.

My partner really likes Defying Gravity, but I never got into it much.

But I'm A Cheerleader was better years after I saw it the first time, but it still isn't one of my favorites. RuPaul is in it.

Another Gay Movie was a big hit in the gay world not too long ago and a sequel (with RuPaul) will be coming out soon. I'm not in love with it, but I will watch it.

I rented Cruising last month via Netflix and it's one of the most bizarre gay movies I know of. It stars Al Pacino as a cop who goes undercover in the New York gay leather scene of the late 1970's/early 1980's. There's a twisted guy going around killing gay men into the leather scene. It's controversial and graphic with its depiction of fetishes, men in leather, kinky sex, etc. Couldn't believe it was in theatres back then! But it's also not that good of a movie.

Can't believe I forgot about this one as well - this is one of my favorites and I need to get the DVD sometime. I reviewed it awhile back in my review thread. Love! Valour! Compassion! A bunch of gay guys stay at a house in the woods and things happen.

Two of my very favorites I didn't see mentioned are Butley (1974) and The Times of Harvey Milk (1984).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Head on - Ana Kokkinos

Jesus freakin' Christ what a great film. I was sure someone from here recommended it but now I can't find any refference to it. An absolutely devastating tour de force from down under about a 19 year gay Greek with some very self destructive tendencies. It has the same emotional punch as Gegen die wand (which curiously enough has the same English name). Highly recommended. Don't let the extremely low rating on imdb fool you.

Definitely To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar. Such an odd film. We had it taped when I was a kid, though, and for whatever reason my brother and I watched it again and again. I probably saw it seven or eight times. Anyway, I've always liked it. Swayze keeps a straight face the whole time and really sells the living daylights out of his role.

And, as obvious and uninsightful as it may seem, I, too, love The Birdcage. But then again, I tend to like everything Nathan Lane does.

The odd thing is that, even though I love both of these movies, I'm really not the type of person who thinks a man in a dress is inherently hysterical (though I might make an exception for Wesley Snipes). Go figure.

André Techiné - The witnesses

Techiné's (the director of The wild reeds which I mention in my opening post) most recent film in which he returns to gay themes in a drama about the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. Not as good as The wild reeds but still a very engaging watch.
Great review from Indiewire.

So I was at Hollywood Video last night -- the store is closing permanently, everything was for sale at 80% off -- I bought this gay movie called Shiner. NOT your typical gay movie at all. How do I describe this... it follows three sets of people... two guys, one of whom likes to beat guys up, including his best friend. This gets him off sexually. The other storyline is about a shy, very odd gay guy who stalks a hunky boxer and watches him take showers at a gym. The third storyline is about a heterosexual couple that likes to beat each other up... theirs is the most under-developed storyline. All of these people are interconnected and know each other somehow.

It's a very low budget film shot on a camcorder. The first twenty minutes are utterly ridiculous but it gets better. Some parts are funny, some are disturbing, a few are kinda sweet - especially in the stalker storyline.

Some of the guys are really sexy, though, especially the boxer. There's lots of male nudity. It takes that whole homoeroticism in the subtext of Fight Club and makes it front and center. I liked it a lot, but it's really different.

Colour out of Time
While surfing info about The Hunger (1983)

I came across a reference in the Wiki site to an interview by Susan Sarandon about that beautifull seduction scene she had with Catherine Deneuve.

The soft lighting added to that wonderfull aria (the flower duet from Leo Delibes' Lakme) ... wow

Anyway Sarandon is interviewed for a documentary The Celluloid Closet (1995) which explores the Hollywood has portrayed gay and lesbian themes in film.

IMDb site for more info ... maybe something to watch for those interested in this theme.

Whole new thing - Amnon Buchbinder

An very charming little Canadian film about a precocious 13 year old who starts discovering his sexuality and falls for his English teacher (played by Daniel MacIvor). It features the music of one of my favorite (and also very queer) bands, The Hidden Cameras.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
How could I forget:

My favorite movie with a lot of gay/lesbian people.