Lgbtq fims

Tools    

What are your favorite lgbtq (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer) films?

Here are some I think are definitely worth your attention:

Happy together - Wong Kar Wai

Maurice - James Ivory

Bent - Sean Mathias

Bad education - Pedro Almodovar

Shortbus - John Cameron Mitchell

The wild reeds - Andre Techine

Priest - Antonia Bird

My life in pink - Alain Berliner

Wild side - Sébastien Lifshitz

Beautiful thing - Hettie Macdonald (purely for sentimental reasons though)

Now you...

Why Ben Hur, of course.

Seriously, though, my favorite in this genre is The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

I saw Angels in America recently and thought it was very good.

And The Boys in the Band is also worth checking out.

I don't know why you left out To Wong Foo: Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar. It's not one of my favorites, but I think it deserves mention.

You're a Genius all the time
Well, I dont know about my absolute favorite LGBT film (I don't think I have one), but I just saw Kissing Jessica Stein yesterday and it was very good. I don't know if you'd even count it in this discussion though, since the main character wasn't really a lesbian anyway. It's still tremendous and I'd like to hear your take on it.

Of the ones you listed, I've only seen Bad Education, which was a good movie - vintage Almodovar and all. But it didn't have any sort of overwhelming effect on me and it's not something I feel the need to watch again.

Give me a little while and maybe I'll think of a couple more I really like.

I haven't seen any of the ones you listed Addi... and realized when I was thinking about the films I have seen that I liked, that most of them tend to be a bit on the dark side... but then so do a lot of the movies I like...

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
The Crying Game
The Birdcage
Boy’s Don't Cry
Philadelphia

I've only seen bits and pieces of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert but liked the parts I have seen... and what about The Rocky Horror Picture Show? I love it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Priscilla (Queen of the Desert), Almost Normal, Brokeback Mountain, Transamerica, Bad Education, Beautiful Thing, GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS, Johns, Latter Days, Make A Wish (lesbian slasher film), Breakfast On Pluto, To Wong Foo, The Broken Hearts Club, The History Boys, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, The Birdcage, Making Love, Eating Out 1 & 2, Beautiful Boxer ("He fights like a man so he can become a woman." - best tagline ever)

I haven't seen any of the ones you listed Addi... and realized when I was thinking about the films I have seen that I liked, that most of them tend to be a bit on the dark side... but then so do a lot of the movies I like...
In that case you should definitely see Bent, a very dark story about two gay men that end up in a concentration camp during the Nazi regime.

I should probably note that Wild side and Shortbus are very explicit so those who object should probably give them a miss.
On the other hand, My life in pink is something everyone should see, it's a pretty depressing tale of a young boy who feels he's a girl and all the bad things that transpire because of discrimination and people's unwillingness to accept those who are different. Sigh...

Thanks Addi... I'll check Bent out when I can... and I forgot Monster on my list...

Also, I have had several members ask what "Lgbtq" stands for or at least wanting to make sure they were correct in what they thought it stood for... so, unless I'm off base:

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender/Transsexual

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Colour out of Time
I must admit I didn't know wtf the thread was about by the title Lgbtq

However, after reading the thread I think I do. Here are my contributions of films with significant homosexual/transgender themes I have viewed.

The Killing of Sister George (1968)

More Info
A ground breaking film portraying Lesbian relationships in 1960's London, but very dark.

My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)

More Info
Another very powerful Brit film, this time the relationship also crosses race in addition to sexuality.

Transamerica (2005)

More Info
Post op transexual must deal with fact he/she has a teenaged son

Better Than Chocolate (1999)

More Info

November Moon (1985)
aka Novembermond

More Info
This German film is set in Nazi occupied France and explores the sacrifice and fear that two women have when one is a jew. The ending is heart breaking.

Gia (1998)

More Info
The life of supermodel Gia Carangi

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some more which haven't been mentioned are Almodóvar's Law and Desire and Labyrinth of Passion, Fassbinder's heartbreaking In a Year With 13 Moons and Fox and His Friends, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Mädchen in Uniform, La Cage aux folles, Gods and Monsters, Heavenly Creatures, Bound, Capote, And the Band Played On, Chasing Amy, Gohatto, Cowboys & Angels, A Man of No Importance, Lianna, Love and Death on Long Island, Torch Song Trilogy, The Children's Hour, The Wedding Banquet, Mass Appeal, Rachel, Rachel, Jeffrey, In & Out, Les Biches....

Emergency! I'll finish up later. I have to go now.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Oh yes. It was OK. I just got a call from Sarah asking (again) to bring something ASAP to school which she forgot. She's lucky today is Wednesday (early dismissal), so I could do it.

Of the ones already mentioned, my faves would be The Boys in the Band, Maurice, La vie en rose, The Crying Game, Breakfast on Pluto and Boys Don't Cry.

I was close to finished for now anyway. Of the ones which I find interesting enough to recommend, I left off Mysterious Skin, Nowhere, Something For Everyone, The Bostonians, Victim, Personal Best, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Dog Day Afternoon, The World According to Garp, Desert Hearts, Star Maps, I Shot Andy Warhol, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Fox, Six Degrees of Separation, Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love, Another Country, The Opposite of Sex, The Trials of Oscar Wilde, Oscar Wilde, Wilde, and Orlando.

There are several others which are well-regarded, but some of them I don't especially like, so I'm not going to mention those. I could say Singapore Sling, but that's too disgusting for most of you good people, so no, I won't add that one. Oops!

Wow mark, I haven't seen most of those...I need me some edumacatin'. Thanks...

(Didn't much like Fox and his friends though...)

P.s. Am I the only person in the world that didn't consider Heavenly creatures to be a lesbian film?

Can't believe Fox and His Friends is being discussed here... I rented that movie not long ago and turned it off because of boredom.

My partner watched something called Boy Culture tonight and really loved it, but I didn't watch it with him.

And I thought the Q in Lgbtq meant "questioning" ?

* Mysterious Skin and Torch Song Trilogy are others I like as well.

Fox and his friends is a typical (and poorly acted) rags to riches to rags story. Nothing special about it apart from a few naked shots.

I've actually debated the nature of Mysterious skin on another forum. Even though technically it could fall into this category (and obviously does for a lot of people), I personally wouldn't include it. Its central theme is pedophilia and in my mind, it overshadows everything else, including the homosexuality of one of the main characters.:\

Colour out of Time
One not mentioned yet which I posted on the Incest themed thread which was coincidentally one of the first threads I saw when visiting for first time.

I recently saw Sister My Sister (1994)

More Info
It is a UK film from 1994, An adaptation of a real life murder case which happened in France in the early 1900's. Originally called the "Papin Affair" because that is the real family name of the two sisters who murdered their employers. This case has been the basis of many psycho-analytists who were fascinated about the relationship between the two women. This film is one of the more common intepretations that exists on the nature of the relationship between the two sisters. Very dark film.

Murderous Maids (2000)
aka Les Blessures Assassines

More Info
The "Papin affair" murder has been made into another film, this one from France ... not seen.

The Silence (1963)
aka Tystnaden

More Info
I don't think that anyone has mentioned this classic, which was directed by Ingmar Bergman in 1963. A strange estranged relationship between sisters, one who is dying. Very provocative.

and on a different note Monster (2003)

More Info
This is a film about serial killer Aileen Wuornos, the fact that she is in a lesbian relationship is coincidental and is used primarily to illustrate her feelings (or lack of) towards men, who are all just 'Johns'. I liked this visit into the mind of a psychopath.