Foreign films

Tools    

Yes, unless you're an Englishman watching the English film in an English theater or an Australian watching an Australian film in Australia. Anything that is imported (brought from its original outside source) into a country is by definition foreign. Just because you can understand the language in an English or Australian-made movie doesn't make it a domestic product.

Yes, I just don't have an encyclopedic memory with films listed in a chronological order. Saw one new film the other night--a foreign English film. Problem is, I can think of the title or the stars at the moment--2 women, Kate-something and an older woman--used to star in the British TV series "As Time Goes By." Nighy (sp?) played the younger woman's husband. Story is about two teachers, one who has an affair with a student and an older woman finds out and tries to manipulate her into a lesbian relationship. Notes on a Scandal or something like that. Also saw all of the Lord of the Rings films, shot abroad with foreign actors and director and financed in part with foreign funds.

Looked it up: Got the title right, Notes on a Scandal (2006); it was nominated for an Oscar as was its star, Judi Dench, whose acting I greatly admire even though I have trouble recalling that odd name. Also featured Cate (not Kate) Blanchett and Bill Nighy. I recommend it.

If you look back at my original message, I mentioned the Japanese-made Shall We Dance? Not a dragon or a samurai in sight.

Fine, glad you like them. But it's a genre in which I have no interest, just like some people have no taste for sushi or escargo or raw oysters (all of which I happen to love). I'll take the grandkids to see a classic Disney cartoon, but I just don't care for the Japanese renderings.

Did people really flock to see Apocalypto and the Passion of the Christ? I know Passion had its period of controversy, but I don't know anyone in my extended family, friends, coworkers who ever mentioned having seen it. Same with Apocalypto. After Gibson shot himself in the butt with his drunken rant, he lost a lot of Hollywood support for the distribution and advertising of that film. I don't think the success or failure of either of those had anything to do with their being foreign films.
Talking about Australians brought to mind a movie from New Zeland called Once Were Warriors. Anybody see it?

Talking about Australians brought to mind a movie from New Zeland called Once Were Warriors. Anybody see it?
Yeah, good movie. Although I'm a little biased against because it was introduced to me by a bunch of casual movie watchers as "the greatest moive ever" or something. They were just so pleased that here was this movie they'd seen that I hadn't.

Once Were Warriors, certainly not the " greatest" but nevertheless an excellent movie with some outstanding raw scenes.

I just make it easy on myself and refer to them as "foreign language films." I guess it's just me, but I find the whole discussion of whether English language movies shot by non-American filmmakers in other countries to be...well...(I'm trying to find another word for "pointless" that won't offend anyone). Anyway, life is too short.

Chocolat, for instance, is not a foreign language film. A case can be made for its being a "foreign" film since it was shot in France by a non-American director with a non-American in the lead role. But I really don't care all that much, and just saying that it is "not a foreign language film" makes things much simpler.

I wanted serious answers...
I actually watch foreign films all the time.Films done by your country are foreign to me,a person coming from the east.I rejected those movies with foreign faces and English dialogues which were jibberish to me when I was a kid.Then in the process of growing,there came the big change in me,I would stop for any foreign film when I was clikcing the remote control,curiously,wanted to know how the people on the other side of the planet live their lives.

Because the technology in US is much more advanced than it is in my country.The first few movies ever to interest me were some sci-fi ones.Can't recall the name of it.Saying a man was invented by a scientist because of the fail of the experiment and then being abandoned with an ugly appearance.He was so lonely and not being accepted by people around him though he meant well to all,he was flamed by the thought of revenge to his creator.He then killed the scientist's newly married wife and took her to make a copy for himself.It was a tragedy,and it made a great impression to me.

I probably watched that film with dub,yet I was too young to be that nit-pick,the dub was fine to me,though I would never watch a foreign film with dub now.The film did opened a door for me to have an insight into the western world,its culture,ways of doing things,and of course,different paces in filming.

I do want to talk to you about this topic,though it may be an out-of-date topic 2 u.

I am half agony, half hope.
I've seen some great foreign films this vacation. I've watched several of them twice because they were so good!

I've seen:

Les Choristes
Vozvrashcheniye (The Return)
Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei (The Edukators)
Autumn Spring

Up Next are:

Yojimbo
Hidden Fortress
Russian Ark

Johann von Goethe

Hahahaha we mock the piss out of Once Were Warriors (Im a Kiwi) and its a natural thing, especially the COOK ME SOME BLOODY EGGS bahahahahaha you all should watch What Becomes of the Broken Hearted the 2nd part following the family its just as good IMO

I hated The Return it was soooo boring couldnt get past the first 20mins

Just watched French film They Came Back and it was alright nothing to run home for but it was good and stupid ending left me wanting more I hate that!

Watched Malena for the hundreth time and never get sick of it... God I love Monica Bellucci

I also wanna watch La Clef im a big fan of Guillaume Canets watch his Love Me If You Dare its great!!

Gonna watch Italian film Like Two Crocodiles when I get the chance to and on a sidenote is anyone really amped for Almodovars new film with Penelope! I know its a year away but any Almodovar film is amazing!

I am half agony, half hope.
You know what I'm beginning to appreciate about subtitles? They make you stop everything else and be involved with the movie. You have to pay attention. I don't know about you guys, but most times, when watching a movie, real life has a way of distracting me and drawing my attention elsewhere, and I let it because I figure I can 'hear' what's happening and not miss anything.

You know what I'm beginning to appreciate about subtitles? They make you stop everything else and be involved with the movie. You have to pay attention. I don't know about you guys, but most times, when watching a movie, real life has a way of distracting me and drawing my attention elsewhere, and I let it because I figure I can 'hear' what's happening and not miss anything.
I use subtitles a lot on even english movies , though I hate the ones that include all the sound effects.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I agree. If it's a good movie, I enjoy reading the subtitles and really focusing on it. I also use English titles on most because dialog is often obscured or mumbled whereas explosions, gun fire and car chases are LOUD!

What are foreign films to you?
Although I'm not American but I think it is any movie not from U.S is a foreigner movie.

what is your opinion of them?
It depends, there are many great movies like the Korean movie Old Boy, the Italian movie Malena, the Brazilian Cidade de Deus and the Iranian movie Color of Paradise.

how often do you see them?
Maybe once every month

this is so true. No doing the ironing and watching a film with subs

I use subtitles a lot on even english movies , though I hate the ones that include all the sound effects.
Me too, I always use subtitles on everything regardless of the spoken language...I don't have a home theater system so those softer dialogues like whispers are not exactly clear or audible...And accents and slangs...subtitles definitely help...And what about fast talking characters that rant and blabber on and on...we finally get what they are saying with subtitles.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I love the following foreign films,

District 13 (French 2004)
Fifth Element (French 1997)
Leon (French 1994)

Me too, I always use subtitles on everything regardless of the spoken language...I don't have a home theater system so those softer dialogues like whispers are not exactly clear or audible...And accents and slangs...subtitles definitely help...And what about fast talking characters that rant and blabber on and on...we finally get what they are saying with subtitles.
Some people do not have easily understandable voices and slur words. I find myself sometimes resorting to subtitles to find out what someone said.

My favourite Australian film was Muriel's Wedding. A slow starter, it soon became interesting. I remember liking Domino but cannot now remember what it was about as it has been maybe 20 years since I saw it.

Good luck with the Russian Ark, I gave up on that one after 30 minutes...
A lot of Russian films are long winded. I watched Solaris many years ago. Over 3 hours. One hour would have been ample. It could have even made 30 minutes.

Bollywood is indeed huge in absolute numbers - but it's also a niche cinema marketed primarily in India and to the worldwide Indian diaspora.
It's only recently that Indian films have gone away from the old staples of love+good+evil held together by a collection of songs and acted by people using exaggerated expressions.

Oh my, I think we need to introduce you to the multiple quote button. It's right next to the reply button, you use it when you want to reply to more than one post. Multiple posts are a no no....