Foreign films

Tools    

Define this category and then share your general attitude towards this obscure film form. What are foreign films to you, what is your opinion of them, how often do you see them?

Yes Chris, I am baiting, and it will get bloody.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I look at them like I do with every other film, obviously.

A system of cells interlinked
Foreign films? You mean, like some film by some Eskimo or something? Those people aren't real. Dr. Seuss made them up, so he had people to wear barbaloot suits. The word foreign itself is a onomatopoeia describing the sound you get when you rub two frozen Eskimos together. Frozen people make bad films.

Well, I thought we had this discussion going in another thread? I mean, a foreign film, to me, is a film that was made in a country other than my own, usually presented in that native language. You know how I feel about dubs, so I always make sure to watch a film in its native tongue. As for what it means to me, these films often offer me at least a glimmer on insight into a culture I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. Of course, much is lost to a jack-ass like me, but, I like to at least try. My general attitude towards the form is the same as it is with any film. I give it a fair shake, without setting up expectations, or putting it in a box, and if it's well done, I rave about it like any other film i like. If it's ****, I dog it like a Michael Bay flick...

Define this category and then share your general attitude towards this obscure film form. What are foreign films to you, what is your opinion of them, how often do you see them?

Yes Chris, I am baiting, and it will get bloody.
The easy answer would be a foreign film is basically any film made outside the US, but that would include US films shot at foreign locations. So basically, I would define it as a film shot outside the US by a non-US studio or producer, financed at least partially by foreign funds and made with local actors, directors, and in the local language.

I don’t see as many foreign films as US-made films, largely because there are more US films available in this country. Also, it seems that any foreign film that is a hit in this country or even abroad is instantly remade with an American cast for US distribution. Richard Gere probably holds the record as the star of the most US remakes of French films.

Basically, I judge foreign movies on the same basis as US-made films: is it interesting and entertaining?

Many times the foreign film can be better. For instance, I prefer Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai (1954) to John Sturges’ Magnificent Seven (1960). Not to take anything from Sturges, but I just don’t think the cool containment of Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Charles Bronson would work in the Japanese film, in which the characters are all more on edge and desperate. There is a fury in the samurai battle scenes that is missing in the Western gunfights. And maybe because I wasn’t familiar with the Japanese actors, they seem more like real people in the Japanese film than in the star-loaded Western.

However, Toshirô Mifune does exude some of that self-containment in the three-film saga about the legendary Musashi.

I also prefer Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo (1961) to Sergio Leone’s A Fistful of Dollars (1967). Yojimbo seems more realistic, more comfortable with its time and place, whereas with the Italian remake I was constantly aware that I was watching an Italian interpretation of the American West. Rashomon (1950) with Toshirô Mifune was told better than its American remake. I liked both the Japanese and US versions of Shall We Dance? (1996), and for a change I liked the US ending better. It’s also one of only two movies (Chicago being the other) in which I liked Gere. Guess maybe he's a better dancer than actor.

I do not, however, like cheap silly films like Godzilla or Japanese cartoons or the kung phooey films where people hang in the air chopping opponents to pieces.

From France, La Cage Aux Folles (1979) was one of “the most successful foreign films ever shown in the U.S.,” according to The Wall Street Journal. I saw both the French film and the stage production before seeing The Birdcage (1996) remake. Interestingly, the remake was the only film I ever liked with Robin Williams in it unless he was just the voice of a cartoon character. I just don’t care for him as a comic or an actor. But he was a good genie in the Disney cartoon. All the same, I think I preferred the French version of La Cage.

Wolfgang Petersen’s Das Boot (1982) was one of the best war movies ever made (although he should have stuck closer to the book’s finish). It was so much better than his US-made films such as In the Line of Fire (1993), Outbreak (1995), Air Force One (1997), and Troy (2004) that it's hard for me to believe it's the same director.

Another great early example of German film was M (1933), which made an international star of Peter Lorre.

From Russia comes one of the best movies ever made, Battleship Potemkin (1925). The famous scene of the baby carriage on the stairs that Brian De Palma stole was the only thing worth seeing in The Untouchables (1987).

Mexico has produced some good movies, both alone and in cooperation with US and other studios. El Mariachi (1992) was an outstanding movie shot on a shoestring by a bunch of unknowns. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) was also a good film.

A lot of films and TV series are now shot in Canada where production costs are lower and financing is easier. Just two of such movies that were outstanding for their storylines, historic accuracy, photography, good direction, and great performances were Black Robe and The Grey Fox. Canadians know how to film the frontier of the “new world”!

I have to return some videotapes.
What do you think about Mel Gibson categorizing Apocolyto as a foreign film? I thought that was a stretch. I was surpised he didn't just cast himself as the lead and dress up Mayan-like.

@Nexus: I was trying to be humorous...

The easy answer would be a foreign film is basically any film made outside the US, but that would include US films shot at foreign locations. So basically, I would define it as a film shot outside the US by a non-US studio or producer, financed at least partially by foreign funds and made with local actors, directors, and in the local language.
Films made in the UK or Australia would then be foreign?

You don't mention any foreign films beyond 1996. Have you see many recent non-US films?
Also:
I do not, however, like cheap silly films like Godzilla or Japanese cartoons or the kung phooey films where people hang in the air chopping opponents to pieces.
I don't wanna come off as an ass, but Asians do produce films that don't have giant monsters or samurai in them, you know that right? As far as not liking Japanese cartoons, have you seen Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, Howls moving castle or Akira? If not, you really should...great flicks...

What do you think about Mel Gibson categorizing Apocolyto as a foreign film? I thought that was a stretch. I was surpised he didn't just cast himself as the lead and dress up Mayan-like.
Here's the thing, if people flocked to see Apocalypto and The Passion of the Christ, why aren't they flocking to see films like City of God or Oldboy?

Here's the thing, if people flocked to see Apocalypto and The Passion of the Christ, why aren't they flocking to see films like City of God or Oldboy?
I would say that personally I would choose City of God over Apocalyto or Passion, but realistically if a film is released in 3,000 theaters (Passion) versus 242 (C.O.G.), more total flocking will occur at the the bigger release locations. However, when it comes to DVD sales or rentals there is no excuse for not watching a variety of films, if indeed one calls them self a movie lover/buff/aficionado/etc...

However, when it comes to DVD sales or rentals there is no excuse for not watching a variety of films, if indeed one calls them self a movie lover/buff/aficionado/etc...
My thoughts exactly. But the point of this thread is to "test the pulse" of MoFo so to speak. I want to know the general attitude of MoFos towards foreign film and their willingness to explore the world of cinema, and the reasoning behind it.

I want to know the general attitude of MoFos towards foreign film and their willingness to explore the world of cinema, and the reasoning behind it.
Not sure if it plays a big part to fellow MOFO's here, but with friends and family I have found that those who like to read enjoy all kinds of film. Those who wouldnt touch a book unless they had too tend to be more mainstream, cinematically. I think it may be hard to find a "general" attitude, but it certainly seems interesting. Oft times my cinematic exploring ability, as I am sure as it is with others, has to do with time restraints and not desire. I guess what I am saying is that I do not care if a film is foriegn or not, I will not see a film just because it is foriegn but neither will I avoid it. If it looks interesting then I will eventually get to it on DVD or whatever.

What do you think about Mel Gibson categorizing Apocolyto as a foreign film? I thought that was a stretch.
It's a foreign-language film, not a foreign film. So are Letters from Iwo Jima and Men with Guns, for two more examples. And it's not a stretch, it's accurate.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

fbi
I would say that personally I would choose City of God over Apocalyto or Passion, but realistically if a film is released in 3,000 theaters (Passion) versus 242 (C.O.G.), more total flocking will occur at the the bigger release locations. However, when it comes to DVD sales or rentals there is no excuse for not watching a variety of films, if indeed one calls them self a movie lover/buff/aficionado/etc...

I loved apocalypto. Great movie with tons of tension and energy.

Foreign films in general?.....hmmmmm. wouldnt say i've seen a lot but maybe a decent amount.

I've seen a few that were supposedly great in their native countries but have been disappointed.

examples are "love etc" , "fear and trembling", "A very long engagement".
these were overrated and i was appalled by the amount of praise that they received.

They were boring and almost made no sense. it was simply self indulgent foreign filmmakers demonstrating their unique arty talent.
They were not really concerned with sstory telling at all.

some are good such as " he loves me he loves me not", "facing window".

Films made in the UK or Australia would then be foreign?
Yes, unless you're an Englishman watching the English film in an English theater or an Australian watching an Australian film in Australia. Anything that is imported (brought from its original outside source) into a country is by definition foreign. Just because you can understand the language in an English or Australian-made movie doesn't make it a domestic product.

You don't mention any foreign films beyond 1996. Have you see many recent non-US films?
Yes, I just don't have an encyclopedic memory with films listed in a chronological order. Saw one new film the other night--a foreign English film. Problem is, I can think of the title or the stars at the moment--2 women, Kate-something and an older woman--used to star in the British TV series "As Time Goes By." Nighy (sp?) played the younger woman's husband. Story is about two teachers, one who has an affair with a student and an older woman finds out and tries to manipulate her into a lesbian relationship. Notes on a Scandal or something like that. Also saw all of the Lord of the Rings films, shot abroad with foreign actors and director and financed in part with foreign funds.

Looked it up: Got the title right, Notes on a Scandal (2006); it was nominated for an Oscar as was its star, Judi Dench, whose acting I greatly admire even though I have trouble recalling that odd name. Also featured Cate (not Kate) Blanchett and Bill Nighy. I recommend it.

Asians do produce films that don't have giant monsters or samurai in them, you know that right?
If you look back at my original message, I mentioned the Japanese-made Shall We Dance? Not a dragon or a samurai in sight.

As far as not liking Japanese cartoons, have you seen Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, Howls moving castle or Akira? If not, you really should...great flicks...
Fine, glad you like them. But it's a genre in which I have no interest, just like some people have no taste for sushi or escargo or raw oysters (all of which I happen to love). I'll take the grandkids to see a classic Disney cartoon, but I just don't care for the Japanese renderings.

Did people really flock to see Apocalypto and the Passion of the Christ? I know Passion had its period of controversy, but I don't know anyone in my extended family, friends, coworkers who ever mentioned having seen it. Same with Apocalypto. After Gibson shot himself in the butt with his drunken rant, he lost a lot of Hollywood support for the distribution and advertising of that film. I don't think the success or failure of either of those had anything to do with their being foreign films.

I've seen a few that were supposedly great in their native countries but have been disappointed.

examples are "love etc" , "fear and trembling", "A very long engagement".
these were overrated and i was appalled by the amount of praise that they received.
A Very Long Engagement is a FANTASTIC film. I have seen it at least half a dozen times, and it makes perfect sense, to me. It did from the very first time I saw it. What didn't make sense in that film? One of the best films of that year, hands down, IMO. I didn't find it hard to follow...

Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?
I can't stand dubbing. It has to be subtitles or nothing. Well except things like Rumble in the Bronx. The dubbing makes it!

I just call anything thats not in English a foreign film. Yeah I knows its a foreign language film but thats what ive always called them. I never think of Australian or American films as foreign. Well obviously I know they are from a different country.

I don't know, force of habit

The People's Republic of Clogher
It doesn't surprise me that an American would see a British film as 'foreign' because they have a rather large film industry of their own.

I doubt if many Brits would see Hollywood movies in the same light, however. When you've got a mainstream film industry consisting of Spawn-of-Satan Richard Curtis and his awfully nice chums you've got to cling to some kind of rock.

And the rock, in this case, is singing Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I honestly don't think that I've referred to something as a 'foreign film' since that dodgy Swedish video I rented when I was 14 (I was an old looking kid, ok? ) and featured lots of healthy looking guys and gals...ermmm....exercising...

C.R.A.Z.Y. - the best canadian movie ever