Caught this film on TMN On Demand.

First of all, I'd have to agree with everyone in saying that this film is really good, it's visually astonishing, specifically speaking of the opening scene in which we travel across New York, also the ending when the lights turn back on throughout the whole city. Very innovative.

Instead of the graphic sex fest that the film was hyped up to be, Mitchell has delivered one of the most unique films of the new millennium. He has created an emotional, hysterical and deep film about life.

While the intense scenes of sex may scare some viewers away, I embraced it, as it should be. It features both straight and gay sex, both non simulated. I'll have to say this though, you won't ever see a film like this, in which one characters sings the Star Spangled Banner into an *******. The opening scene is so engaging with the in your face sex that the film really never catches up with itself, it becomes slow, but that doesn't necessarily hurt the film.

The performances are amateur, but rather strong. I saw real emotion from these people, not acting. It helps that a lot of them aren't big name stars, it gives it a more down to earth feel. Although, if you are Canadian you'll notice one Much Music VJ.

A few things though, I must say. Are we to believe that these characters are sexual 24/7? Is they are not engaging in these sexual acts, they are watching it, or talking about it. Also the film feels uncompleted. As the final frame runs, some characters are never really explored, while others due random acts.

Shortbus is a brave film if anything, I applaud it for it's risk taking and the fact that it was still entertaining. I cared for these characters, I was pulled into an experience I won't find anywhere else.

Suspect's Reviews