Movies You Avoided Seeing (for various reasons)

Tools    

The DOOM movie looks way too much like the Resident Evil films.... Same thing different characters.

District B13
Clint Eastwood finally leaves the western department with all time films such as Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River and he gets hated on.

Great films, made me feel sad, but mostly pissed off.

Cinema at it's best right there.

But anyway, I avoided seeing 2046 because I thought it would just be style in a love story with some existentialism and randomness.

Somehow I avoided seeing Kung Fu Hustle(still haven't seen it). What did it to me?

That's the difficult part, right now it's either laziness or a positive review from Ebert that prevented me from seeing it.

Oh yea, I had to watch spirited away on TV as well.

I also avoided Hotel Ruwanda for the fear of being bored, another wrong judgement on my part.

The only non-mainstream non-indie release film that I hit on the nail was city of God, in it's last day of playing at the movie theater. What a flipping awesome movie.

though considered to some people as a must see film, I being the film fanatic i am and sometimes wish i wasnt have not seen more than ten minutes of the movie at a time. Maybe because the versions i have tried to watch were edited to the bones. For televisions sake. But to me it is just one of those movies you dont watch, you dont know why you dont want to see it, but you just dont pure and simple. Its even got Steve Buschemi as a character in the movie. But still i cant bare to somber through more than a commercial break. Its just on of those things.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by starrdarcy
DOOM

I love the game, the movie.. it looks like a cheap game-to-movie conversation. Once again, holywood has let down gaming fans
I really honestly don't think there can be a good movie made out of games. They are two very different mediums. I liked the game Doom, but I don't think it needed to be made into a film at all, especially one that looks like a huge Aliens rip-off.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

There are those who call me...Tim.
I think there could be a good videogame-based movie if someone would just look at the damn game and base the film on it, instead of just taking the name and coming up with their own version. Take the Super Mario Bros. movie. As a live action film it was doomed from the start, but as an animated film it could work pretty well. And the dinosaurs? Apart from Yoshi I don't know why they thought of that.

OK, rant over and back on topic.

District B13
The thing is that games involve choices.

So, a movie like Deus Ex would be awful.

But, people who make movies do NOT care about quality. Only money.

It's not the games storyline, but the game's essence that should be captured.

At least doom had a go with fpview.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Aside from that, the only films i'm really actively avoiding at the moment are the last two Star Wars films.

the same

Passion of the Christ - Not that im straight up avoiding it, but im not interested in seeing it. Just not something I care to see.

Originally Posted by X Randeath X
Million Dollar Baby - Just haven't really bothered. I love Clint, but I'm pretty sore that it won so many Oscars even though it was late to the game. It was out like, what, a few weeks before Oscars? And it cleaned the place, even though they're were more deserving films. And Hilary Swank's speech at the Oscars put me off on her for awhile.
I recommend it, for what that's worth. I too, put off seeing movies that don't grab my interest, even though they may be critically acclaimed. My primary interest is big fantasy/scifi productions like LOTR or the upcoming King Kong. But I enjoy good movies of all genres.

Movies I put off seeing but shouldn't have...Training Day, Jaws, Forest Gump, The Sting, Pulp Fiction, Traffic
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by SCdac
Passion of the Christ - Not that im straight up avoiding it, but im not interested in seeing it. Just not something I care to see.
I haven't seen it either and probably won't. Don't care to see 45 minutes of realistic torture. Parents who took children under the age of 14 should seek counseling.

It may seem like a contradiction because I do see violent movies. But I'm selective about my violence. I've avoided Passion, Private Ryan and even Reservoir Dogs. I probably won't see Saw I or II. Fantasy violence, I can deal with. It's realistic violence applied to innocent or captive victims that makes me squeamish.

Originally Posted by Twain
I haven't seen it either and probably won't. Don't care to see 45 minutes of realistic torture. Parents who took children under the age of 14 should seek counseling.

It may seem like a contradiction because I do see violent movies. But I'm selective about my violence. I've avoided Passion, Private Ryan and even Reservoir Dogs. I probably won't see Saw I or II. Fantasy violence, I can deal with. It's realistic violence applied to innocent or captive victims that makes me squeamish.
haha..you're such a baby...a little on screen violence and mutilation never killed anyone....

Originally Posted by adidasss
nothin', just like both of those films.....

Really? I know all of my friends raved about them for a really long time before I saw them-so I went in thinking that my mind was going to be blown. Maybe I should wait a year and then watch them again.

I am merely a vessel
I never watched Analyze This or Analyze That in fear that I would break down into tears at the sight of Robert De Niro making an enormous ass out of himself.....I feel the same way about the Meet the Parents movies.....who decided that putting great actors into crappy comedies somehow made the crappy comedy any better?

I'd kill myself before I watched The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

history *is* moralizing
almost anything with Julia Roberts, if there's no reason to make an exception, like when Kirsten Dunst and Maggie Gyllenhaal are around too!.......

District B13

If I may call you a moron, may I?

In two of your listed movies they have violence that almost accurately depict how something could've been. They are historic in their approach and they capture shocking imagery that HAPPENED.

And you tell me that fantasy violence is easier for your stomach!?

You should be ashamed. It should be Every parents DUTY to take their 5 year olds to see the Pianist, Passion of the Christ, Saving Private Ryan.

Because they will get shocked, they will get frightened, they will cry and they won't like it. But it's the truth, and the sooner you tell them the sooner you can prevent kids from doing penguin marches in the aisles of public schools.

I was exposed to such imagery (historical violence) as a child and I'm a better human being for it (forget my arrogance and contrarianism, that's not due to the historical violence). I saw Amistad, Glory, Apocalypse Now. And, unlike the rest of the people my age I DON'T make jokes about "jews burning in the oven", or even consider Drug Use, or think it so easy to fight in war. I'm glad my parents exposed me to the truth, and every parent who does so to their children should have a medal of honor placed on their chest for doing the RIGHT thing. For Fantasy Violence a la horror/action movies I was very limited, never Rated R unless it was a "good move"(although I do judge my paren'ts picks), and sometimes not even P-13. NO, my parents were not godsend perfectionists, they were asses like everyone else's parents were, and we weren't special, there are plenty of people who watched movies regardless of ratings.

That's like saying a person shouldn't read classic novels because they are too violent, it hampers growth.

If I sounded like a prick, I know I did, if I sounded like my family was some saint-like missionary people, I apologize.

But I just want to make it clear that when I have kids and the next movie about the holocaust comes out, I'll take them to it, and I'll make them watch. Because **** aint pretty like a Jackie Chan movie would have you believe, it's messy.

/self righteous off

[quote=ObiWanShinobi]If I may call you a moron, may I?

Oh absolutely. It will probably eliminate you from inclusion on my Christmas list but go right ahead.

And you tell me that fantasy violence is easier for your stomach!?

Yep, that's what I'm telling you. If you find it easier to stomach realistic violence, then we may not be of the same species.

You should be ashamed. It should be Every parents DUTY to take their 5 year olds to see the Pianist, Passion of the Christ, Saving Private Ryan.

If you consider child abuse a duty. I agree that older teens and young adults who think war is a splendid idea should see Private Ryan. And understand that getting shot isn't always falling over dead like in a John Wayne movie. It can be a slow, agonizing death.

Because they will get shocked, they will get frightened, they will cry and they won't like it. But it's the truth, and the sooner you tell them the sooner you can prevent kids from doing penguin marches in the aisles of public schools.

I wasn't exposed to extreme violent images as a child and I've never done the penguin march. I agree that children deserve the truth but they also need protection from the uglier elements of the truth until they are emotionally mature enough to handle it. If you could digest Passion of the Christ as a 5 year old and not suffer any trauma, more power to you. Maybe you're a prodigy of some sort. The sort who's missing a normal amount of sensitivity.

I was exposed to such imagery (historical violence) as a child and I'm a better human being for it (forget my arrogance and contrarianism, that's not due to the historical violence).

Are you sure? Maybe we have a direct link here from childhood exposure to historical violence and adult arrogance and contrarianism. See, it's not your fault.

I saw Amistad, Glory, Apocalypse Now. And, unlike the rest of the people my age I DON'T make jokes about "jews burning in the oven", or even consider Drug Use, or think it so easy to fight in war. I'm glad my parents exposed me to the truth, and every parent who does so to their children should have a medal of honor placed on their chest for doing the RIGHT thing.

Well, we all have opinions. There is a time to see those movies but it's not at age 5. You might have been better served seeing Bambi and Old Yeller at that age.

That's like saying a person shouldn't read classic novels because they are too violent, it hampers growth.

Of course a person should read classic novels. But are most 5 year olds ready for David Copperfield or War and Peace? It isn't a question of what to see or read but when.

If I sounded like a prick, I know I did, if I sounded like my family was some saint-like missionary people, I apologize.

Beginning a post by calling someone a moron isn't the best etiquette but that may be a result of your early exposure to cinematic violence. With a few years of therapy, I'm sure it's a character fault you can overcome.

But I just want to make it clear that when I have kids and the next movie about the holocaust comes out, I'll take them to it, and I'll make them watch. Because **** aint pretty like a Jackie Chan movie would have you believe, it's messy.

And when you have kids and take them to a holocaust movie at the age of 5, I'll say you're making a poor decision. Maybe even a moronic decision.

I agree with you in principle, that the truth is preferable to a sugar coated lie. But full exposure to the truth should be connected with emotional and intellectual maturity. The relative innocence of childhood is too short as it is. Do you want to eliminate it completely?

District B13
I agree with you in principle, that the truth is preferable to a sugar coated lie. But full exposure to the truth should be connected with emotional and intellectual maturity. The relative innocence of childhood is too short as it is. Do you want to eliminate it completely?
This basically sums up your opinion.

I partially agree, and taking children who will be disruptive, I.E. not pay attention/make noise is not worth it. But I do remember seeing Amistad, I didn't remember the plot of it, but I did see people of one race being treated badly because they were black, and I saw them suffer unjustly.

Now, I didn't come out of that movie violent, repressed or angry but I did have the ability to discern what is right and what is wrong. I'm glad I learned.

Here is the thing though, I don't believe my innocence was corrupted, in fact, I believe it was enhanced. I enjoyed the Toy Storys and Bambis as much as the other kid, but that only went so far. An knowledgeable understanding of the Civil War really created a sense of purpose for me, and of justice.

Here is another thing, I've attended multiple schools (christian, public upper class, public lower class, private, magnet lower class, etc.) and all of them have a warped view of things. By the time I hit the 6th grade I knew every swear word and what they meant, by the time I was in 7th I was comfortable using them in speech, like everyone else was, when 8th grade hit I was in the loser group and half my friends were already sexually active.

That's just the facts, my friend. High school was about alcohol and drugs, further perversions.

I'm not saying I didn't partake in any school sins or that I fit stereotypes portrayed by the media unjustly for that matter. But at least I know what happened during the holocaust (unlike the strong percentage of people who don't believe it, even contradicting their own parent's opinions) I know what slavery was, and I know who won the American Revolution (my very first girlfriend thought it was about the alamo). I have a knowledge of history that few kids know, and if that makes me un pure for having viewed that history at a young age, then so be it, because I'm glad I understand what is right and what is wrong.

Let me put it to you straight: We are currently involved in a war right now. Now, take the stupidest person alive and fill them with a basic knowledge of history and that person would run away from all things war. Yet, we continue to do it anyway, for various reasons. However, the main reason being that we don't learn from our mistakes, and that we incorrectly follow/pervert philosophy that supports war.

Now, imagine if everyone but 5 year olds had been wiped off the face off the planet. What would happen?

That isn't going to happen, of course not, but the fact remains that too few of people I know and I know YOU know have no idea what history is. That's scary, because people who get straight A's barely pass history class today, and the counter culture of jew jokes and gay jokes and intimate portrayal of reverse discrimination is slowly choking that history down the ****ter.

If any human being, regardless of age, learns that killing another human being because they look at you different is wrong, then Praise be on High.

If I believe my child can sit through and understand the meaning of a movie about a historical event that carries dramatic purpose, I will take my child to go see that movie. At ANY age.

Because, when you sugar coat once, you might as well do it twice, and if you do it twice, what is to stop that child from no longer caring about history or it's repercussions.

The answer to that question is nothing, my friend, and I've got the numbers of the thousands of kids I've met in my life who would tell you the same exact thing.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Now, imagine if everyone but 5 year olds had been wiped off the face off the planet. What would happen?
There would be the mother of all food fights.

(Except there wouldn't be any food. Except slugs. And then you just know the little blighters would try and add salt )