Movies You Avoided Seeing (for various reasons)

Tools    

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
FantasitcOM 4 sounds fantastic enough to me

Hehe

Fantasitcom 4 with jerry seinfield as mr fantastic! I'd watch that.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by starrdarcy
Batman begins is really good? I saw the trailer, it looks kind of odd, at least they got the batmobil right this time, i hated all the others!

Batman Begins is excellent.

captain corelly's mandolin ( or whateverthehell it's called ) - why does nicolas cage persist on playing "serious" roles when they just make him look rediculous.....stick to the comedies man! his face is perfect for those loser characters....

Originally Posted by adidasss
captain corelly's mandolin ( or whateverthehell it's called ) - why does nicolas cage persist on playing "serious" roles when they just make him look rediculous?
Because one of those ridiculous dramatic performances netted him an Oscar as Best Actor: Leaving Las Vegas (he was also nominated for another Best Actor in 2003).

Besides, I thought he was most excellent pulling double duty in Adaptation and quite good at the center of Bringing Out the Dead.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Because one of those ridiculous dramatic performances netted him an Oscar as Best Actor: Leaving Las Vegas (he was also nominated for another Best Actor in 2003).

Besides, I thought he was most excellent pulling double duty in Adaptation and quite good at the center of Bringing Out the Dead.

yes, and i really think highly of the oscars....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
There was some writing after the word "Oscar"... did you see that part? Also, I think it's good to see someone with a slightly non-Ken-doll face do a variety of roles, rather than everyone being cookie-cutter.

Hey, genius, I wasn't placing value on the Oscar for you or for me. You aksed "why does nicolas cage persist on playing 'serious' roles when they just make him look rediculous". I'm offering that winning and being nominated for Oscars is good enough motivation for Nicolas Cage, and clearly his peers in the Academy don't think he looks ridiculous (or even rediculous) as they reward him for such endeavors. I was answering your question.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Hey, genius, I wasn't placing value on the Oscar for you or for me. You aksed "why does nicolas cage persist on playing 'serious' roles when they just make him look rediculous". I'm offering that winning and being nominated for Oscars is good enough motivation for Nicolas Cage, and clearly his peers in the Academy don't think he looks ridiculous (or even rediculous) as they reward him for such endeavors. I was answering your question.
it was a retorical question,"genius".....
this thread is about movies each of us avoided seeing for their own personal reasons, i personaly don't like Cage in serious roles ( adaptation is an exception ) and that's the end of it...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Erin Brockovich

That Ridley Scott Crusade Thing (that's the title, innit? Or is it Gladiator Redux?)

Meet The Feckin Parents or whatever...

Cold Mountain

The Passion Of The Christ
As above

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I usually avoid films that I know are going to be really emotionally wrenching.
The Joy Luck Club
Schindler's List
Million Dollar Baby

I've seen the first two, way after they came out. Still haven't seen the last.
Sammy...PM me with your thoughts on The Joy Luck Club. I loved that movie.

I also can't bring myself to see...
Schindler's List
Million Dollar Baby...also..
Saving Private Ryan
Hotel Rwanda
The Passion of the Christ

And...Slasher flicks and anything overly/graphically violent. Just not for me.

I've never "avoided" seeing a movie (can't think of any movies that were exactly trying to knock down my door and make me watch 'em).

There are plenty of movies that I don't particularly want to see (and many, many more that I wish I'd done something better with my time than watching), but I can pretty much stomach any cruddy movie you put in front of me. I won't deny liking Van Helsing or Freddy v. Jason (still think that latter should've been a courtroom drama though).

If I'm gonna start avoiding movies, I might as well just write off ninety percent of films ever made (everything by people other than the likes of Welles, Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Teshigahara, Imamura, Herzog, Hartley, Sayles, Keaton, Greenaway etc.).

Originally Posted by Aniko
The Passion of the Christ[/i]

seeing this movie very much depends on your religion and the state of your faith.....for me, it was one of the most emotional and powerful experiences as far as movies go..

Armageddon, dodgeball(or any other stupid comedy like it) gladiator and many more i just cant think right now...
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Can we try with real bullets now?
I never watched or desired to watch Red Eye, because I was pretty sure it would just end up being another crappy teen horror flick. Possibly more crappy than the average crappy teen horror flick and after watching Cursed I shall never trust Wes Craven ever again!!!

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I avoided seeing the movie, Passion of Christ. I've already seen a lot of movies about Jesus, and I think those are enough...

this one is quite different i assure you, and i was so blown away by the fact that the actors were speaking in the original language that Jesus spoke in, i'ts quite a mistical experience...

There aren't many movies I refuse to see. I'm basically open to see anything. That being said, I highly doubt I'll ever see ROLL BOUNCE. Not that I have a grudge against urban films, I don't. I just think it looks awful. I think UNDERCLASSMAN and THE MAN look really bad but I'll Netflix them sometime down the line.

I try to see everything, even if I don't want to. I never wanted to see LORD OF WAR. I thought it looked really stupid but I saw it because my friend wanted to see it and it shocked the hell out of me, I really enjoyed it. That's just one of the reason I try not to skip too many movies.

In the Beginning...
this one is quite different i assure you, and i was so blown away by the fact that the actors were speaking in the original language that Jesus spoke in, i'ts quite a mistical experience...
My theology professor (at the time) went to see it with a few rabbis, and after the film, the rabbis claimed that the Aramaic the actors were speaking actually didn't match up with the subtitles. It wasn't that it was a translation problem, either (apparently); but that the subtitles just weren't what they were saying. To what degree, I don't know.

As for me, I avoided seeing this film. A few close friends and relatives were giving me crap about not seeing it, but I didn't want to see it amidst all the hype and publicity. It was almost like people were measuring your faith based on having seen this movie or not, and people were going on and on about how "that's how it really was." I'm sure it's a very realistic interpretation, but it's just that: an interpretation. A film. With actors. I know full well that it's going to be a powerful film, but I'm waiting till I can see it without anyone expecting my faith to be renewed or strengthened or something just from watching it.