Movies You Avoided Seeing (for various reasons)

Tools    

Ingmar Bergman, there's a guy I never got into. He's like the pinnacle of hipster arthouse pretension.
I'd have to agree. Bergman is difficult to get into, especially since all his movies are too artsy or more designated towards critics, rather than the general audience.

I've been avoiding to see Hostel I and II. My friend gave me a DVD but I don't wanna watch it. I don't watch violent gore films unless their good or at least I hear good things about it. And Knowing Eli Roth made it, never planned to see it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey Bergman bashers, try watching Smiles of a Summer Night and The Virgin Spring. If you feel really dangerous, try The Magician. That's a sex comedy, the film which inspired The Last House on the Left and a spaced-out horror film. That sounds mainstream to me. Bergman has made films I consider pretentious, but the truth is that just about all his films made money throughout Europe. I guess that makes Europe pretentious. Oh, maybe that's the point.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I getting cranky about the use of the word pretentious. It seems to me that maybe it's just a convenient dismissal word for a film or film maker that someone might use without regard to what the word "actually" means.

"
pre·ten·tious
/priˈtenCHəs/Adjective: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."

Someone please explain to me how any Bergman films possess any of those qualities. You don't have to like his movies, that's not what I'm asking for, but how is any Bergman film trying to be more than it is? Maybe there are some that are, I haven't seen all of his films, but I want people to be able to back that word up if they use it.

I like some of his movies more than others but I can't think of any time that there could be any manipulation of the audience to maybe think that the movie in some way was more important than it actually was. One of my favorite movies is Wild Strawberries and I would dare anyone to call that movie pretentious. In fact, I think the opposite is true. It's a very quiet unaffected movie.

Anything with Jennifer Aniston or J-Lo would be pretty much off my radar...
Me too

The Godfather Part II. I've heard it's better than the original, but I don't feel like giving up 200 minutes on this movie when I could spend them on ultra cheesy B horror flicks.

Braveheart. I expect this to be good, but I just haven't been interested.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
I try not to avoid movies intentionally. In particular, avoiding a movie just because it's been hyped up, has been a pet peeve of mine for a while.

That all being said, I believe I, like anyone, choose certain movies over others.

I am yet to see Avatar (2009). I avoid 3D. There I said it. I'm guilty of avoiding a certain kind of movie and that is 3D ones. I'd heard that the story wasn't that great, but the 3Dness was awesome, so I thought to myself. Well, how about I just wait until a really good story with Epic 3D comes out.

I do like 3D sometimes, and like Avatar, it's usually only when the movie is made with 3D in mind and not a 3D conversion. Though if they release it in 3D and 2D, I'll choose the 2D version.

I just find 3D distracting. It reminds me I'm in a cinema and makes me look around. I like to forget where I am and get completely lost in the film.

All this being said, I don't hate that it exists. I read a great article once (that I now can't find) that talked about how 3D used to come about it times of economic crisis, because it's a way to boost the film industry without them having to spend a lot of money. I'd be interested to read more on the topic, because it sounds like it's happening again for this reason.

I also recently saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) in 3D as it was a midnight screening and was the only version left I could get a seat in. I was sitting way up the back on the edge, next to the wall. I have to say, while I still found that it reminded me I was in the cinema, after a while I didn't notice it as much, and being on an edge seat it certainly helped bring the movie to me (I'm a 'must sit in the middle of a row' person you see).

One of the reason I also avoid 3D is because I find it a bit cheesy, but I think that works for certain movies, and those movies are horror movies. I have every intention of seeing Final Destination 5 (2011) in 3D. Now that will be epic. *laugh*

Sorry for that rant. I wasn't my intention to go on like that in the beginning.

In other news, I also seem to avoid Russel Crowe movies. They always seem to be such BOY movies and well, BOYS ARE ICKY! *chuckle* (This coming from a Vin Diesel Fan.)

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

The Godfather Part II. I've heard it's better than the original, but I don't feel like giving up 200 minutes on this movie when I could spend them on ultra cheesy B horror flicks.
That's certainly debatable.

Are you related to honeykid?
Aw! I might have a mini-me. I have to say, when I read that post I did think to myself, "Well, The Godfather Part II is good, but which ultra cheesy B horror flick would we be watching instead?"

Either...they play mostly in romantic comedies,genre that i avoid...there was a crime movie where Richard Gere was playing police inspector,film was good,but i didnt liked it just because of him.

Shrek 2, Shrek the Third and Shrek Forever After. I didn't like the first one. Like, at all. Not that i hated it though. And in my opinion, DreamWorks worst animated movies/series. I even liked Madagascar and Madagascar 2 better.

Musicals