Adi's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by adidasss
thanks, it's nice to know someone actually reads this....
I've been reading - never commented tho. I like your taste in movies. It's good to have another MoFo who ranges beyond the standard 'hollywood' fare .

Originally Posted by Golgot
I've been reading - never commented tho. I like your taste in movies. It's good to have another MoFo who ranges beyond the standard 'hollywood' fare .
thanks, well, my intention with this thread was to focus on non-american films ( americans would call them foreign, but to me, american movies are also foreign ) and "smaller" american films , the ones that some of the mofo's here maybe didn't watch and this will perhapse turn their attention to them.....i don't see much point in reviewing fims that most of the people here watched.....

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah, that's my thinking on the reviewing front too. I can only really get it together to do a review when i really like a film anyway - or when i really wanna warn people away from it .

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Sorry adidasss, didn't see your thread till now. Good work, glad you watched " Downfall " it's a fantastic film, and as you pointed out very haunting and disturbing, especially the scene with Goebbels' children.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Gegen die Wand ( Head-on) – Fatih Akin

It seems that german cinematography has really awaken in the last 5 years and is putting out masterpieces like never before ( Goodbye Lenin, Die untergang, Gegen die wand ). This is a story about 2 Turkish Germans, Sibel and Chait, who meet in a hospital after they both tried to commit suicide. Sibel sees Chait as an opportunity to get away from her oppressive traditional family and asks him to marry her, just for pretence, which he eventually agrees on doing. A coupling of two unstable personalities ends in tragic consequences when they develop feelings for each other, something neither of them counted on. This film is an absolute masterpiece, it's everything i search for in movies, with vibrant characters that jump out from the screen, an incredible love story, it's poetic, disturbing and beyond powerful. I can't wait to see what Akin does next,he's such an incredible director and artist. I urge you to go to the videostore and rent it....NOW!!

5/5

I urge you to go to the videostore and rent it....NOW!!
Ok

Swimming pool - François Ozon

This is an erotic-criminalistic-thriller? about an english detective story writer Sarah Morton ( Charlotte Rampling) who decides to take a vacation in a french villa, owned by her publisher John, in order to try and find inspiration for her new novel. Her relaxation is interrupted by the sudden arrival of the publisher's daughter, Julie ( played by the beautiful Ludivine Sagnier ). After the initial annoyance and friction between the two of them, the promiscuous Lolita ,Julie ,soon starts to intrigue Sarah and turns into an inspiration for her new novel. A very good film by a talented young french director, i can't really say what makes this film interesting because that would ruin the experience but it's suffice to say that the movie is subject to various interpretations, so if anyone's seen it i would love to hear your thoughts on it.
4/5
p.s. wonderful picture isn't it?

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
, trust me, i have brilliant taste in films....

And soooooooo modest too!

Lakposhtha hâm parvaz mikonand ( Turtles can fly) – Bahman Ghobadi
value

Well boys and girls, it happened, my local art theatre is having an Asian film week, so for the next 7 days I'm going to be enjoying some of the best films of today ( and recommending them to you of course ).

And to kickstart it, here's an amazing Iranian-Iraqi film about the lives of Kurd children in a refugee camp on the border between Iraq and Iran in the eve of the american invasion in Iraq. The main character is Satellite, a young boy who installs antennas , and in a time where the whole Kurdistan awaits the news of the american invasion and their liberation from Saddam's regime, becomes one of the most important people in the village. Satellite is also the leader of the local children ( most of which are orphans, just like him ) who earn their living by collecting land mines and selling them to the UN. His attention is drawn by a young girl who comes to the village with her brother ( a mysterious young boy with amputated hands and the ability to predict the future ) and a child. Their tragic, mystical and very painful story serves as the backbone of the film making it a highly powerful anti-war statement.

Beautifully written and with amateur actors ( as in most iranian fims ) that give the film a highly realistic and charming flare it's simply astonishing and yet another proof that truly brilliant and powerful films are not made in Hollywood. It made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes.See it or die!

history *is* moralizing
adidasss, you're a new proof that.......... .................................................................................................... ..
size doesn't matter!

Shijie (The World) – Zhang Ke Jia
value

Hmm....what to say about this film... ok, it's about a group of people working in a theme park in Beijing, called The world ( as you can see from the poster - why bother leaving Beijing when you can see the world....right there, in smaller proportions of course ). The poster is actually very sarcastic, as if they can actually leave China to see the world. It's a social drama and one can say that it also deals with the clashing of traditional china with the bustling new economy.

It's a great portrayal of the lives of people that come from the various provinces in China to Beijing in search of a better life , ordinary people and artists trying to make it in the big city. I stress the ordinary people part, very ordinary lives, very realistic display....so ordinary in fact that it gets a bit boring to be quite honest.

This film is long....very long ,140 minutes, so long that from the 40 people that actually came to see it, half of them walked away from the theatre half way through it. The director uses a strange technique to brake the dullness of the film ( you can see it from the poster ) , cartoons, dividing it into chapters . Whilst i loved certain parts of it ( in scenes where the music kicks in you get this incredible feeling of little people lost in a megalopolis of Beijing's magnitude, combined with long shots of bus rides during the night it gives the film a special and wonderful feeling of solitude ) ,on a whole, i have to say that it's longitude kind of ruined it for me. It's a demanding art flick that i simply cannot recommend , except for people who enjoy this type of film.

Salinui chueok (Memories of murder) – Joon-ho Bong
value

Wow, what a movie. Based on a true story about a series of murders in south Korea, it follows 2 detectives ( one a local incompetent neanderthal the other an intelligent detective from Seul ) in their attempts to find the killer.

A full blooded thriller ( i can't remember the last time i saw a good old fashioned thriller ) with comedic elements , it keeps you tied to the seat throughout the 129 minutes ( unlike "The world"). It's sort of a combination between The summer of Sam ( because it deals with actual events that took place in the past ) and Seven. Great directing ,the use of sound in certain scenes is simply awesome and makes your heart beat faster as the camera rolls with the excitement of the scene , on the other hand , it takes a sort of a documentaristic approach at portraying the increased frustration the main characters go through while encountering one dead end after another .

Hmm...now, i know OG did a review on this film,i've read it, but i really have to say that i don't see much difference between this film and the likes of Seven except for the fact that it really doesn't push for excitement in every other scene but, like i said earlier, it chooses the more realistic approach, and yet, strangely enough it manages to be just as interesting and tense. Some people mind the comedic elements saying it needlesly distracts from the seriousness of the story, i didn't mind it at all. In fact, i thought it was brilliant.Korean cinematography...you gotta love it.

p.s. i chose the same poster as OG because i feel it reflects the mysterious tone of the film perfectly ( and it's simply awsome)

Tasogare seibei ( The Twilight Samurai ) – Yoji Yamada
value

First of all, this is not your typical samurai film with crazy fight scenes and swords flying everywhere.This is a wonderful, intimate story set in the late 19th century, about a poor and very modest samurai Seibei Iguchi who is left to care for his two children and a senile mother by himself after the death of his wife. As a very supporting and caring father, he starts paying more attention to the upbringing of his children and under the increased workload starts to let himself go, which the other samurai notice. He refuses the offer to marry again because he feels that his new wife might not appreciate his wonderful children. But soon, an old childhood sweetheart walks into his life ( after a divorce from an abusing husband ) and things start to look up as she brings joy back into the household.

A wonderful film that reminds me of "Pride and prejudice", very Jane Austen with suppressed emotions all over the place but with a typical Japanese "honor" system that guides and controls the main characters. It also depicts the slow decay of the samurai society ( in Croatia it was translated as "the twilight of the samurai", which is incorrect but sort of fits the subject ). In short, a very warm story that gives you an incredible and exotic ( well at least to me ) vibe of the rural 19th century Japan and that alone makes it worth the watch.