I'm Becoming a Fabulous Atheist

Tools    

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
I would like to ask those who believe the same thing I ask all believers:

"Why do you believe what you believe?"

You can respond if you like, but ask yourself that at least.

A system of cells interlinked
Wow - That last message (deleted) from 42nd was ridiculous!

I just KNEW he was going to say something like that in the end - I just knew it!

In my experience, many believers have thought about their beliefs a great deal. I know I have. I'm not sure if you're implying otherwise, but most people don't believe just because they've never bothered to ask themselves such a simple question.

A system of cells interlinked
I actually think that is a great question, because I myself have said to others that I think we live in a world where people are anxious to tell you that they believe in something, but few can actually articulate exactly why they believe it. There are several reasons someone would place belief in something without giving it much critical thought. I don't think you fall into this category, knowing what I do of your world view and habits, but I run into a TON of people who do.

You ready? You look ready.
I actually think that is a great question, because I myself have said to others that I think we live in a world where people are anxious to tell you that they believe in something, but few can actually articulate exactly why they believe it.
I think that's why they're anxious to tell you because they can't articulate it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yeah, I'll certainly agree that most people have trouble articulating the reasons they believe the things they believe. And there's no doubt that plenty of people seem to believe things without much reason. But I tend to believe that 1) this applies in pretty equal measure to most beliefs, religious or not, and 2) that it tends to apply more often to things that impact our lives less directly than religion, which can have a major impact.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbv...-fr_shortfilms

Some cool thoughts about the Catholic Church from Stephen Fry which can fit here (methinks, or maybe there's a more appropriate thread). He brings it home near the end. I especially like the bit when he asks what Jesus would think of it all. Such a good question.

Saw pretty much that whole debate about a month ago. A few good moments, I thought. Was really disappointed at the choice of topic to begin with, however, because it inevitably devolved into an exchange of laundry lists; great things the Catholic Church has done versus horrible things it has done. Each side merely tabulated, and there was no real sense of actual comparison between the two. Though I wonder if there ever could be; how do you weigh the violation of a child against saving lives through international charity and the like? And how do you assign both blame and credit to such a massive organization? You can't; these things defy comparison.

So, yeah, would've preferred a slightly different topic that would have been more resistant to that sort of thing, which I'm not sure is insightful or productive.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I haven't read adi's link yet, bur concerning what would Jesus think, he'd want to tear down the various religions' temples again for the "churches" setting a bad example and being hypocrites. If Jesus came back the same way he came the first time (whether you believe or not, you hopefully understand that there's this book which tells his "story"), he'd get exactly what he got last time as far as being put to death. Of course, nothing I've just said is a revelation.

Jesus probably came back and ended up in a mental institution for claiming to be Jesus. Or was put to death for blasphemy centuries earlier. Or is this man.

And that's it is it? No points made, no reaction to disgraceful events and practices...just smart mouth ******** because i dared to say anything.
While people like you say and do nothing out of fear and ******** indoctrination that makes you think such things should be respected, protected and just hushed up.

Anger? Damn right...and anyone who isn't angry and such things should look in the mirror and ask themselves why.

Hate? Yeah I hate such events and practices....DON'T YOU!?

****ing pricks.

If some white, non-religious person did even half of these things pseudo-liberal jokes like you would be all over them.
Add a tan and a religion though and you not only stick your tail between you legs...you bow down too!

Weak, cowardly, spineless hypocrites, appeasers and apologists.
My, wonder why you Brits get your famous reputation as a polite and unemotional bunch?

You're spitting insults at me and others, and I can't even tell what the hell you're talking about. All that hate and anger is gonna burn a hole in your gut if you don't tamp it down.

I believe in my family, my life, because that's what I have a vested interest in. Everything else requires proof before I accept it, so right now I can't really believe in you.

I actually think that is a great question, because I myself have said to others that I think we live in a world where people are anxious to tell you that they believe in something, but few can actually articulate exactly why they believe it. There are several reasons someone would place belief in something without giving it much critical thought. I don't think you fall into this category, knowing what I do of your world view and habits, but I run into a TON of people who do.
I think there are only a few of us who are really comfortable in NOT believing. But that's in part a natural outcome of my profession and approach to life.

I especially like the bit when he asks what Jesus would think of it all. Such a good question.
Haven't looked at the thread yet, but your last statement is interesting. If one believes in Jesus as God, then where does a mere mortal get the right to ask what God "would think of it all." And what's worse, that sort of implies that the mortal knows that God would share the mortal's opinion of the subject. Seems to me the mortal thinks awfully highly of himself or else has a low opinion of God.

Now would Jove submit to questioning by a mortal or would he smite the impudent dog? Certainly Thor wouldn't take any back talk. And the God of the Old Testament wouldn't let Moses cross into the Promise Land because He didn't like his attitude on one occasion. So why is Jesus seen as such a wuss that mortals can question His actions and interpret His statements at will? Doesn't seem quite respectful.

Jesus probably came back and ended up in a mental institution for claiming to be Jesus. Or was put to death for blasphemy centuries earlier. Or is this man.

Kinda looks like an effeminate Bea Arthur.

there's a frog in my snake oil
He was a very manly goalie for Coventry City. And then a sports commentator. And then the Son of God.

His name is David Icke. And Bea Arthur could whip him good

(She looks a bit like a lizard, and he is mortally afraid of lizards. No joke.)