Oscar's Best Picture 2021

Tools    

And the Oscar for Best Picture will go to...
5.88%
1 votes
The Father
5.88%
1 votes
Judas and the Black Messiah
5.88%
1 votes
Mank
11.76%
2 votes
Minari
47.06%
8 votes
Nomadland
5.88%
1 votes
Promising Young Woman
0%
0 votes
Sound of Metal
17.65%
3 votes
The Trial of the Chicago 7
17 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Take it back! TAKE IT BACK!!!

In all seriousness, it probably should have been Black Swan. Social Network was a solid second for me. Both were brilliant films.

Oscars rarely ever get it “right” and even so there will always be debate over which film “deserved” it more.

If I ever did my top 100 list from the prior decade, it would defiantly include the two I listed above and possibly 127 hours. It was a strong list of nominees, for the most part. Haven’t seen The Kids are Alright yet. The King’s Speech, which was ok, would have been like....6 or 7th on my ballot of the nominees.
To clarify, I like The Social Network quite a bit. But for me, it's near the bottom of the pile as far as Fincher films go. It's one of those films that I find to be pretty darn well done all around, but that I just don't connect with (which in part is weird, since I work IT).

I would've gone for Black Swan.
That's a great pick. It's my 2nd favorite of that year after Inception.

I think Social Network should've won best directing, not best film.

All great films.

I would've gone for Black Swan.
I must confess, I think Black Swan is one of the worst movies ever made...

That's a great pick. It's my 2nd favorite of that year after Inception.

I think Social Network should've won best directing, not best film.

All great films.
I do think Inception was the 2nd best film of the year.

The best film of 2010 for me was Winter's Bone

I must confess, I think Black Swan is one of the worst movies ever made...

I do think Inception was the 2nd best film of the year.

The best film of 2010 for me was Winter's Bone
Some people think it's trashy and over-the-top. I think it's great.

Do you like Nolan's films so? Nice.

Some people think it's trashy and over-the-top. I think it's great.

Do you like Nolan's films so? Nice.
Trashy sums it up pretty nicely

I do like Nolan's films a lot.

Trashy sums it up pretty nicely

I do like Nolan's films a lot.
Mostly because of the psycho scenes etc?

My favorites: TDK, Inception, Begins and Memento.

Meanwhile for Fincher: Se7en, Zodiac, Social Network, Dragon Tattoo

Mostly because of the psycho scenes etc?

My favorites: TDK, Inception, Begins and Memento.

Meanwhile for Fincher: Se7en, Zodiac, Social Network, Dragon Tattoo
Yeah

I like all of Nolan's films except Tenet. I haven't seen Insomnia and Following.

I like Seven, Fight Club and Benjamin Button. I didn't mind Social Network but it's no great movie for me. I don't remember Alien 3 and I haven't seen any of the rest.

Yeah

I like all of Nolan's films except Tenet. I haven't seen Insomnia and Following.

I like Seven, Fight Club and Benjamin Button. I didn't mind Social Network but it's no great movie for me. I don't remember Alien 3 and I haven't seen any of the rest.
fine.

I think Fincher might be more skilled, but i tend to enjoy Nolan's films more.

I would reccomend watching the rest of Fincher's films, and i def agree Tenet is Nolan's worst film.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I haven't seen any of the Oscar nominees because none of them are available on my streaming services so far. But some people online are complaining about how all the nominees are just too depressing, which is one of the reasons why they didn't show interested in the awards this year.

Bill Maher talked about it to:

But just because movies are dark and depressing that doesn't make them bad though, does it? The Oscars have a history of picking dark and sad movies, so why does this seem to be a surprise for some people?

I haven't seen any of the Oscar nominees because none of them are available on my streaming services so far.
This is a little confusing, since one's on Hulu, a couple are on Netflix, one is on Amazon Prime, and another was on HBO MAX for a month. What's left? Or does Canadian Netflix not have them (that'd be surprising)?

When will Best Picture winners get back to happy-go-lucky, light, uplifting fare like The Godfather, Midnight Cowboy, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Schinder's List, and The Silence of the Lambs? Come on, Hollyweird. Get your heads outta your asses.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What happened to the breezy escapism of Sophie's Choice? Ordinary People? The Killing Fields? Kiss of the Spider Woman? DC Cab?!?!?

This is a little confusing, since one's on Hulu, a couple are on Netflix, one is on Amazon Prime, and another was on HBO MAX for a month. What's left? Or does Canadian Netflix not have them (that'd be surprising)?
Tubi or GTFO

Canadian Netflix is pretty ass but does have the nominated Netflix originals, as far as I am aware.

I haven't seen any of the Oscar nominees because none of them are available on my streaming services so far. But some people online are complaining about how all the nominees are just too depressing, which is one of the reasons why they didn't show interested in the awards this year.

Bill Maher talked about it to:

But just because movies are dark and depressing that doesn't make them bad though, does it? The Oscars have a history of picking dark and sad movies, so why does this seem to be a surprise for some people?
Not a Bill Maher fan, but this was very good commentary.

Yes sorry, I have Canadian Netflix and my gf has Canadian Prime, but we couldn't find the nominees, but it was a while since we checked and can check again. I don't have her Prime now. But two of them are on Canadian Netflix now. The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Mank.

The two I wanted to see the most, Minari, and Promising Young Woman, were not on Prime last time I checked, so I will have to find those two by altnerate means.

Holden is a God of Oscar knowledge, which I am definitely not, but I think speaking for myself, part of the problem I had with the movies were that they were all downbeat. Holden is definitely right that there have been many movies that won Best Picture that were not uplifting, but I think it felt unusual to me that all of the nominees were that way this year. Usually, there is more diversity in terms of the tone of the films. I think as Yoda stated earlier, it's difficult to form firm conclusions based on this year, since it was such an anomaly, and next year could be very different because a lot more movies of all different types will be released that could qualify for the 2022 Oscars. But, I do think it's noteworthy that all the nominees were pretty depressing and centering around marginalized group this year. That stood out as different to me when compared to nominees of years past.

That's true, this year seems to have entries that are ALL dark and depressing. However, a couple of years ago about I remember lots of moviegoers online, were complaining about movies being too escapist, with all these mindless action, adventure movies coming out, that jus didn't have much depth. People were saying how Hollywood doesn't know how to make serious movies about deep subject matter anymore.

Now we get a lot of serious movies with deep subject matter, and they are back with a vengeance it seems, oscar wise, and people are complaining about Hollywood not being escapist enough and too dark and depressing now.

So the complaint from a lot of people online is, Hollywood doesn't know how to make serious thought provoking movies anymore, than they pump out a whole of year of them in Oscar nominees, and now people change their mind and don't want?? Or at least that's what it seems like.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I watched Nomadland and thought it was a very, very good film but I can see how in many ways it seems an unusual Oscar winner. Not because it is depressing - I'm not sure it is - but because it is very low key, much more of an indie film than a blockbuster. In many ways The Trial of the Chicago Seven is much more your typical film some might refer to as 'Oscar bait' , complete with a cheesy everybody applauds sort of ending. But then again, over the past few years the Oscars do seem to have been moving away from the sorts of films they would have awarded in the 90s, with films like Moonlight and The Shape of Water winning. Although Green Book won, so maybe they haven't moved that far.