58.33%
14 votes
Alexander Payne
41.67%
10 votes
David O. Russell
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

O. Russell for me. The Fighter is brilliant

Alexander Payne. I'm a big fan of all of his films, while I'm indifferent towards some of O. Russell's.

I really love American Hustle, though.

I really want to see Joy before deciding but Russell on the strength of Hustle, Playbook, Fighter, and Huckabees. That is a hell of a four.

It Paynes me to see so many votes for the David guy. I'll Russell some feathers and vote for Alexander.

David O. Russell, but barely. Both have made movies I absolutely despise, I Heart Huckabees and Sideways, and both have made movies I enjoyed. But Payne hasn't made anything as groovy as American Hustle.

Both these guys have similarities in their directing styles. In other words, this is a great match up.

After some thinking, I realized that I like Payne more. His films are funny but are more centralized on human emotions. I find myself genuinely caring about his characters and feeling a strong connection with them, more so than O'Russell's.

For Payne, I laughed and got teary eyed when I saw About Schmidt and The Descendants, and I absolutely love Election, and enjoyed Sideways. For O'Russell, Playbook is one of my all-time favorite films, and I thought American Hustle was cool.

I have to return some videotapes...
Russell because I like more of his films in the way of direction, but Payne is a much better writer, possibly the best in Hollywood at the moment.

Welcome to the human race...
My least favourite Payne is on par with my favourite Russell, and my favourite Russell is an anomaly anyway.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Payne by a nose. The Descendants and Sideways are a better top duo than Hustle and Playbook. Of course I really like them all.

Payne has used more than 5 actors in his life and has wrote a script that has a character instead of a vehicle for Jennifer Lawrence to win an Oscar, so I'll go with him

Russell is a hometown hero because he filmed Silver Linings Playbook in Delaware County, PA. I can't tell you how excited I was to see life as I know it up on the silver screen and grateful it was a good movie. Still Payne's Nebraska, The Descendents and the hilarious Election are great. So I go with Payne for the win.

I guess I would pick Payne. The Holdovers felt like a quite evening by the fire with a glass of smooth whiskey. I watched Sideways years ago but never got around to his other pics. I might have to change that.