Unfaithful Adaptations that you like

Tools    

Game of Thrones(which is actually a TV-show, rather than a feature film) has always been very different from the book series, but the last season was almost completely it's own storyline, with little to no inspiration from the book. And the show is still amazing, in my opinion.

Welcome to the human race...
Game of Thrones(which is actually a TV-show, rather than a feature film) has always been very different from the book series, but the last season was almost completely it's own storyline, with little to no inspiration from the book. And the show is still amazing, in my opinion.
In fairness, the show had effectively overtaken the books' story in season five so it didn't really have much choice in the matter.

I can't say Master and Commander is an "unfaithful" adaptation because it's extremely faithful as far as the characters are concerned.

But the movie is a splicing together of at least two stories from the series of books by Patrick O'Brian - one of which I've read (the first one with the same title) and the other I have not yet read which shares the film's sub-title "The Far Side of the World."

I'm including it here because the movie is a far better viewing experience than the book that shares its title was a reading experience. The book was one of the most difficult I've ever read.

Off the top of my head:

1. The Shining - movie is far superior to the book

2. O Brother, Where Art Thou - the Coens based this very loosely on Homer's Odyssey.

3. There Will Be Blood - PT Anderson based this on Oil! but only kept the central themes and some character names. Brilliant movie with arguably the best performance of the decade.

4. His Girl Friday - I'm not sure whether this is unfaithful since the same people who wrote the play also wrote the screenplay, but what a great screwball comedy.

5. Fight Club - based on the novel Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. The themes are the same, so are the characters, but the ending is different and imho, the tone is too.

Both are great though.

nice thread btw
I second The Shining, His Girl Friday, and Fight Club.

I saw Mystic River after reading the book. There were some details that did not come out in the movie that I was a little disappointed about, but other than that, it was a pretty good movie.
For my money, one of the best film versions of a book EVER!

Except for a few--not all--of the songs, the film Paint Your Wagon has nothing to do with the original script of the play by the same name, and is much the funnier for it.
Have never understood all the love for Paint Your Wagon...that movie bores the crap out of me.

I agree that Bade Runner was better than Do androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I also preferred the Movie Salmon Fishing in the Yemen over e book. The movie pretty much turns he book on its head.

There Will Be Blood

V for Vendetta - the movie altered & updated the graphic novel for a post 9/11 world.
I liked the movie!
The graphic novel made a big impression on me. Cried buckets! Didn't cry for the movie but did enjoy it.

Moby Dick (1956)
Dune (1984)
The Time Machine (1960)

I could say The Spy Who Loved Me but the title's basically the only thing taken from the book .