I am depressed, what should I watch?

Tools    

As mentioned already American Beauty is a great choice.

Some others I recommend:

Children of Men ~ Such a great film and although the topic may not be one good for depression the scenes and story are riveting and will transport you which for me is always a relief when I am having trouble with my thoughts. "Hope" is a very strong emotional feeling and I get this from COM.

Time Bandits ~ What can I say it is fun and a great ride. Always makes me smile during many different parts.

The Burbs ~ good stuff

Arlington Road ~ Kind of like a serious version of the Burbs (slightly) . Love the casting.

Charlie Bartlett ~ smiles, cries, and reluctant laughs, also uncomfortableness and being able to relate to a lot makes this one perfect for me. Yes, the untimely death of Anton Yelchin is not a happy thing to think of, but it does help remind me to appreciate every day I have here.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Watch Blue Valentine.

(That was a joke, do not watch Blue Valentine as it is one of the most depressing films I've ever seen.)

I would recommend Kiki's Delivery Service.

I really liked The Martian in that it represents an optimistic view of our current time when so much is so cynical. Actual teamwork and cooperation take place in that film. I find it to be very uplifting.