Film Noir HoF III

Tools    

I had so many different noirs that I had considered, it's a shame I couldn't nominate them all Well like Siddon said, maybe we'll do a Noir Top 100 Countdown someday, then we can really delve into them.

The trick is not minding
I had so many different noirs that I had considered, it's a shame I couldn't nominate them all Well like Siddon said, maybe we'll do a Noir Top 100 Countdown someday, then we can really delve into them.
Yes please!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ha if it was only up to me. I'm pretty sure after the Western Countdown we'll be doing an All Time Top 100 Countdown, but after that it will be up for grabs.
An all time countdown could be pretty wild this time. I doubt many of mine will make it, maybe 7-8

An all time countdown could be pretty wild this time. I doubt many of mine will make it, maybe 7-8
Same here, not many of my tops would make it. Out of my current top 10 profile, maybe one or two would. I suppose I should get around to doing a top 100 list so I know what they are

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well, two great films won this! About time The Third Man made the Hall of Fame!

My list:
  1. Murder My Sweet
  2. The Third Man
  3. L.A Confidential
  4. the big heat
  5. double indemnity
  6. spellbound
  7. the asphalt jungle
  8. the stranger
  9. le corbeau
  10. crossfire
  11. angel heart

About Spellbound... It was probably the lowest I ever ranked one of my films. I chose it more because it's a relatively unknown Hitch and because Checkov who is an idol of mine. Was expecting a result like this even if I still think it's a better film than some of the others - after all it's Hitchcock.

Thanks CR for a great host!

And I second that motion on the Top 100 Noir List!!!

Very nice of you to host this HOF III, CR! It takes a good bit of work, and it's purely a labor of love.

No one really is all that interested in anyone else's list, but FWIW, here's my full 11:

1. The Third Man
2. Double Indemnity
3. Murder, My Sweet
4. The Big Heat
5. Crossfire
6. The Asphalt Jungle
7. Spellbound
8. The Stranger
9. L.A. Confidential
10. Angel Heart

11. Le Corbeau

TBH, there could have been some shifting around in the middle of the list, as I'm sure was the case with some of the other guys. 10 participants is a very small sample, and I'm not sure why more weren't eager to participate, but still it was a lot of fun to consider all of these mostly great films.

~Doc

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Son of a B#TCH I missed the reveal!!

oh well, still, echoing everyone else this WAS an excellent Hall of Fame with not a single bad film in the bunch. And YES, a Noir Countdown some day would be freakin AWESOME.
Congrats to @GulfportDoc and @Citizen Rules for the Tie -- VERY worthwhile winners indeed!!
And, as always to the point of a broken record, but hey, it's the f@ckin truth -- a truly excellent job as Host, CR!! THANK YOU!!

Here's my list, including the disqualified Double Indemnity:

1. Le Corbeau #7 THANK YOU @Siddon for nominating this film. Truly loved it and it's been on my To Watch List for quite some time
2. The Asphalt Jungle #4 My nom and one I really loved seeing.
3. L.A. Confidential #2 A Countless Rewatch flick that was guaranteed to hit high on my list.
4. The Third Man TIE for #1 A very solid win
5. Murder, My Sweet #3 One of my favorite Phillip Marlowe films that belongs higher, but was unable to.
6. Angel Heart #6 Great film -- VERY happy to see it here
7. The Big Heat TIE for #1 VERY deserving of the tie and on another list could have easily gone higher for me.
8. The Stranger #5 My enjoyment of this film has skyrocketed since my original viewing and could be higher if not for the ones above.
9. Double Indemnity Disqualified A classic example of pure Noir that somehow could not breach higher for me.
10. Crossfire #8 Really enjoyed this and it gave me a renewed appreciation for Robert Ryan.
11. Spellbound #9 My last place but NOT out of dislike.

i didn't save my exact list so feel free to post it, CR. i put my own nom at #2 because i liked the big heat so much and crossfire was slightly less good on rewatch (still a very cool movie tho and i'm glad i nominated it). and fwiw, i would've had double indemnity at #1.
criticker

Very deserving winners!!!

Here was my list:

1. Double Indemnity
2. The Third Man
3. L.A. Confidential
4. The Big Heat
5. The Asphalt Jungle
6. Murder, my Sweet
7. Spellbound
8. The Stranger
9. Le Corbeau
10. Crossfire
11. Angel Heart

Again, super sad DI got DQed, but happy the others did well!!! Thanks so much for hosting CR!!!

Here's Inmate's list:
1. the big heat
2. crossfire
3. la confidential
4. murder, my sweet
5. the stranger
6. spellbound
7. angel heart
8. the third man
9. le corbeau
10. the asphalt jungle

So we now have all the members list made public which I think is important to do.

Double Indemnity might have won? I don't know as it wasn't on everyone's list. But it did seem to be running towards the top. Oh well maybe it will make a fourth appearance someday.

Previously it came in third in the first Film Noir HoF and came in second in the 1940s II HoF.

The trick is not minding
Double Indemnity might have won? I don't know as it wasn't on everyone's list. But it did seem to be running towards the top. Oh well maybe it will make a fourth appearance someday.

Previously it came in third in the first Film Noir HoF and came in second in the 1940s II HoF.
A lot of us had it in top 3. It not top 4. I think it definitely would have been in the running for the top spot. Maybe even a 3 way tie, perhaps? Imagine that scenario

I haven't triple checked this because I have to leave for work very shortly, but I recalculated the point totals to see what they would be like if Double Indemnity wasn't disqualified.

The reveal would have looked like this:

11. Spellbound - 33 points
10. Crossfire - 36 points
08. (tie) Angel Heart - 45 points
08. (tie) Le Corbeau - 45 points
07. The Stranger - 47 points
06. Asphalt Jungle - 60 points
05. Murder, My Sweet - 65 points
04. L.A. Confidential - 75 points
03.The Third Man - 82 points
02. The Big Heat - 83 points
01. Double Indemnity - 89 points

Assuming John-Connor was going to rank his nomination towards the top of his list, Double Indemnity would've won.

Assuming John-Connor was going to rank his nomination towards the top of his list, Double Indemnity would've won.
A very good reason why one shouldn't drop out It's kind of ironic that this was Double Indemnity's 4th time in an HoF. Maybe the 5th time will be a charm

A very good reason why one shouldn't drop out It's kind of ironic that this was Double Indemnity's 4th time in an HoF. Maybe the 5th time will be a charm
By the way, is that the most appearances for a single movie in HoFs?