Overrated Actors/ Underrated Actors

Tools    

People won't like this, but i've always been underwhelmed by Al Pacino. I don't quite get why people rate him so highly. Perhaps i haven't seen enough of his films.

Underrated, Pete Postlethwaite.
And i'd also say Robert Duval, although he's rated highly by quite a few, i still dont think he gets the recognition he deserves.
Make sure you've seen both Godfather films and Dog Day Afternoon before deciding that Pacino is underrated. Totally agree with you about Duvall though...that guy should have about five or six Oscars.

Underrated: Robin Williams. lol. I know you guys think I'm sick, but this man can act if he wants to. Have you seen Insomnia, What dreams may come or 1 Minute Photo? He's amazing.
Loved One Hour Photo.

Lawrence Olivier was a different kind of actor to me.

I really liked him in some hammy kind of roles like The Devil's Disciple, Boys from Brazil, A Little Romance, The Seven Percent Solution, Sleuth and Marathon Man. I liked all those movies and I really enjoyed watching him in them.

He was great in Spartacus, Rebecca and Wuthering Heights.

Even without the Shakespeare movies he had a great career and was a lot of fun to watch on the screen. To me anyways.
Olivier can be brilliant in the right role...I think he was robbed of a second Oscar for Marathon Man....on the other hand, his performance in The Jazz Singer was laughably bad.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I like Anjelica Huston, she always has a mysterious presence which she brings to her roles I especially liked her characters in Addams Family and Witches. I'd say she was more underrated as she hasn't done as many big films as she could have
I think it's more that she doesnt fit the hollyweed mould of star looks. damnit I dont want to see a cookie cutout of beauty every time I watch a movie. I think she's absolutely stunning. that idiocy seems to be changing at the moment, though, with movie goers flocking to see actresses like Rebel Wilson and Amy (lastname currently escapes me) who I also think are stunning.

OT but Rebel Wilson is currently on our home screens a lot at the moment for her defamation suit win against the big wig trash mag sewer rats. She's freaking smart, well educated, and just damnn well gorgeous.Good on her. Fight the good fight if you're seeing this, Rebel!!! Go you good thing. Amy is as well and I've never paid much attention before.Another smart, eloquent, beautiful woman. I will be keeping an eye out for her in future.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Not sure if he’s already been mentioned but Will Smith. He’s resume has slowly turned to mush. I liked his earlier films like men in black and bad boys 1 and 2. After that there’s nothing memorable for me. Overrated.

To me, she is a character actor in the role of a leading lady.

She plays the same woman in a different setting.

I found Sophie's Choice to be her only powerful performance.

After making films like She-Devil and Death Becomes Her, I try to avoid her.
Death Becomes Her was brilliant...your reasoning here is pretty flimsy and the same woman in a different setting comment tells me that you've only seen a small portion of her resume.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Death Becomes Her was brilliant...your reasoning here is pretty flimsy and the same woman in a different setting comment tells me that you've only seen a small portion of her resume.
Meryl Streep films I've seen. Julia, The Deer Hunter, Manhattan, Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie's Choice, Silkwood, Out of Africa, She-Devil, Postcards from the Edge, Defending Your Life, Death Becomes Her, The Bridges of Madison County , Adaptation, The Hours, A Prairie Home Companion.

Four of the films I may have seen, but didn't count them, didn't count her voice over work.

Totally disagree regarding Ben Affleck...i don't think he's underrated but I definitely don't think he's overrated.
I think he is overrated. He is a good looking screenwriter/director. That's it. He doesn't have the charisma of a movie star. His face is expressionless and all the batman fanboys calling him the best batman ever is just doing so because they had to live with his movies in the present. I am glad that he doest work with great directors or they dont pick him. I think he didnt deserve best director nomination for argo. Just because he is big and has face kind of resembling batman doesnt make him an ideal choice for batman. Moreover his hairpiece is dceu movies is awful. Thats not his real hair as batman , its a wig.

Make a better place
Well, about Ben Affleck
as a director he's brilliant

as an actor I think he's lousy, OK maybe not lousy just an average or I better say below average

Speaking of underrated I think Ethan Hawke is definitely one of them and deserves to be in bigger movies

Legend in my own mind
I think Stephen Graham is underrated. Superb in everything that I have seen him in. Only thing that he struggles with is accents. This is probably due to the fact that his own accent is so strong.

UNDERRATED

Kevin Bacon
John Cusack
Keifer Sutherland
Jim Carrey
Tim Blake Nelson
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Would it be okay to say Brad Pitt is underrated? His main pull is his raw good looks. But he is a fine actor.

Geoffrey Rush also comes to mind.

Someone I think was underrated is Dorothy McGuire. She was an amazingly talented and dedicated professional and from what I've gathered an exceptional human being. A lovely person both on stage/screen and off. Some of my favourite performances include A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), The Enchanted Cottage (1945) and The Spiral Staircase (1946). If one word could describe Dorothy I think the word would be: Actress.

Someone I think was underrated is Dorothy McGuire. She was an amazingly talented and dedicated professional and from what I've gathered an exceptional human being. A lovely person both on stage/screen and off. Some of my favourite performances include A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), The Enchanted Cottage (1945) and The Spiral Staircase (1946). If one word could describe Dorothy I think the word would be: Actress.
Nice choice. Dorothy McGuire was so good in so many movies. It's nice to see someone appreciate her.

BTW, nice Top 10 movies on your profile

BTW, nice Top 10 movies on your profile
Cheers. Likewise.

I respect De Niro as an actor, but his only performance that I've seen that I would call epic greatness is in Cape Fear (as I recall), he has other good performances (Mean Streets might be my 2nd fave, he was pretty good in Raging Bull (edit: he also did a good job of becoming his character in The Godfather Part II), but I've seen him in other stuff and tbh, some of his performances are somewhat forgettable to me. He wouldn't make my Top 20-25.

He does seem to be equalled with Pacino, but while I love Pacino as an actor, I can't say the same for De Niro.