13.95%
6 votes
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
18.60%
8 votes
Parasite
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Welcome to the human race...
Nice to see Jojo getting some love, after the misplaced criticism from people who couldn't comprehend satire.
I comprehended how bad the satire was.

Sad to see The Lighthouse and The Farewell getting no love, oh well.

Out of these I'd probably want Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to win, haven't seen Ford, little women, or parasite yet.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will win, I'd say. With Tarantino possibly retiring soon (in a recent interview he said that it feels like his last movie), they'll want to give him best picture not just for this but for his entire body of work as well.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I comprehended how bad the satire was.
Then that's a different matter altogether-and dependent on your likes and dislikes.

My point was about people who were aghast with the mere idea of showcasing Hitler and Nazis in a funny manner, cause they were concerned that it would make him and his group likeable.

I quite like it. Loved it in fact. It was my fav till i saw Marriage Story.

With Tarantino possibly retiring soon (in a recent interview he said that it feels like his last movie)

Pah... that is just marketing! So when his next sells more tickets.

Too many people putting too much faith in Joker. Be realistic. Joker is not winning Best Picture, although it is easily my favorite movie of the year. The Academy rarely ever awards the highest grossing film of the year with the top prize, except for maybe Titanic and that Lord of the Rings thing.

This is clearly a battle between 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (which I voted for and believe will win), and Parasite (I believe winning the International Film award should be sufficient).
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Too much people putting too much faith in Joker. Be realistic. Joker is not winning Best Picture, although it is easily my favorite movie of the year. The Academy rarely ever awards the highest grossing film of the year with the top prize, except for maybe Titanic and that Lord of the Rings thing.
Joker was the seventh highest grossing movie of the year at the worldwide box office behind Avengers: Endgame, The Lion King, Frozen II, Spider-Man: Far from Home, Captain Marvel, and Toy Story 4.

But yes, it is the highest grossing of the nine Best Picture nominees. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the second-biggest money maker among the nine, and it had the 23rd highest draw of the year worldwide. Ford v Ferrari (#36) and Parasite (#50) were the only other two in the top fifty worldwide. Joker was ninth at the domestic box office, OUATIH was eighteenth. Parasite just cracked the top hundred domestically at #97. 1917 was released at the end of 2019 and didn't go wide until this past weekend so it's numbers are still coming in but thus far it is up to $43-million domestically and $67-million total internationally.

I think the least of Joker's stumbling blocks to winning Best Picture is how much money it made.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I thought this one is Joker's until I saw 1917.

I love Joker, but this must be 1917.

Now I have seen all of them in theatre and have only 2 Netflix ones to go!

A current ranking:
1. Parasite (4.5/5)
2. Marriage Story (4/5)
3. The Irishman (4/5)
4. Little Women (4/5)
5. OUATIH (3/5)
6. Joker (2/5)

This is after many years I am on top of the nominations list well in advance. For past few years, I was like in a mad rush to finish everything. But I only have 1917 left and two foreign film nominations. The documentaries I can finish later. Oscars is early this year too!

Why such a low rating for Joker?
Here’s a link to my main review-
https://boxd.it/WLjWf

Idk, I understand why people like it and hope I’m not offending anyone by hating on it, but to me it seemed really pretentious and shallow, when I would have much rather preferred something like Avengers: Endgame in terms of the comic book genre, which wasn’t great but was better made than Joker.

Also, soul-less rip-off of Scorsese!

The way I see it, the movie just revolves around the lead characters portrayal of his slow descent into madness. Take it out and there is not much else to talk about. But the movie is great, easily the top 5. Just that there were others which did a nice job too. And this year being so good for movies, it's really clutching at straws when trying to put any of nominees down.

For me, the weakest is once upon a time in Hollywood. It's a typical mashed potato Tarantino film.

The way I see it, the movie just revolves around the lead characters portrayal of his slow descent into madness. Take it out and there is not much else to talk about. But the movie is great, easily the top 5. Just that there were others which did a nice job too. And this year being so good for movies, it's really clutching at straws when trying to put any of nominees down.

For me, the weakest is once upon a time in Hollywood. It's a typical mashed potato Tarantino film.
I was disappointed by OUATIH but didn’t hate it.
I’ll be getting to the other 3 soon as I can, prob Jojo Rabbit next.

The trick is not minding
I’ve only seen Joker, which I enjoyed but wasn’t great and possibly a victim of overhype, and The Irishman, which was great to me.
Plan on seeing 1027 this weekend depending on how bad the winter storm we’re due for is.