Jojo Rabbit

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
I’ll just state the facts.

Scheduled to begin shooting in May is Taika Waititi’s follow-up the box office hit Thor: Ragnarok. Jojo Rabbit is a satirical tale set in Nazi Germany and follows a confused 10 year old boy trying to fit in. After being severely injured by a grenade at Hitler Youth camp, the boy discovers his mother is hiding a 15 year old Jewish girl in their house.

Here’s the kicker. The boy has an imaginary friend Adolf Hitler. Imaginary Hitler will be played by Waititi.

Originally Posted by Taika Waititi
It’s my version of… a lonely boy’s best version of his hero, which is really his dad.
This is not the Adolf we know and hate, this guy is goofy, charming, and glides through life with a child-like naivety.
https://www.thewrap.com/thor-ragnaro...bit-exclusive/

Scarlett Johansson will the play the boy’s mother and Sam Rockwell will play a captain running the youth camp.

The script for this is supposedly great. The balancing act for this will be fascinating to watch, to say the least. My first thought was that it could fail spectacularly but Waititi has talent behind the camera and, based off Hunt for the Wilderpeople, could walk the line for it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I didn't think that guy came here anymore.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
This movie looks nuts and I'm kind of there for it. Taika Waititi has made some excellent films, and I'm loving how fearless this one looks.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I truly appreciated the movie. It's funny but sweet and sentimental at the same time. The 2 lead child actors were great. Sam Rockwell was a scene stealer. Scarlet Johansson was simply amazing. The movie, in my opinion, deserved to get more award nominations than what it has been getting, especially for the actors, but I understand it was a very competitive year with so many amazing films and performances.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Got to sit through this again today, and this time with the benefit of AD which did help considerably and made the film even more touching than had previously thought, as it answered questions that I had been left with after the first sit through.

Taika Waititi is seriously putting together a hell of a track record and has become one of my favourite directors.

i was gonna watch it with my uncle cause scarlett johansson and Taika Waititi is in it and their my favorites from avengers and thor but instead i be watching bad boys for life while his watching jojo rabbit

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's pretty good, I feel like the second half is a lot better than the first. The drama hits a lot harder in the second half. The first half is good too and it's funny, but I wonder if the movie would have been more powerful in it's story, if it was a straight up drama. I feel like some of the gags, even though funny in the moment, may have taken away from the drama. A lot of the laughs seemed a bit shall we say 'South park-ish' in the humor, maybe, which is still funny, but does take away from the drama in this kind of movie.

Unless I am wrong?

A lot of the laughs seemed a bit shall we say 'South park-ish' in the humor
No wonder I enjoyed it lol

When I described it to a friend, I said it was like if What We Do In The Shadows and The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas had a baby

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Was anyone else a little taken out of the movie because of the profanity used by kids? I think the filmmakers maybe had the idealogy that if kids use profanity than doubles the laughs, but here it just didn't seem to work, like say in South Park where it might better. I think it's because the movie is set in a country where they are suppose to be speaking a differentl language, so to use English profanity seems out of place.

It would be like if in a movie like The Last Emperor, if the little kid character, used profanity and dropped F-bombs, it would just seem out of place since it's set in a country of a foreign language, wouldn't it?

Taken out of the movie? No. Double the laughs? Maybe. A RL example being that a friend of mine got called into school about her son, what was his crime? He wasn't letting another boy join in with whatever he was doing, when the teacher asked why he wouldn't let the other kid join in, his reply was "because he's being a tw@t"
The teacher even admitted that she had to force herself not to laugh, but such language couldn't be tolerated in school

Was anyone else a little taken out of the movie because of the profanity used by kids? I think the filmmakers maybe had the idealogy that if kids use profanity than doubles the laughs, but here it just didn't seem to work, like say in South Park where it might better. I think it's because the movie is set in a country where they are suppose to be speaking a differentl language, so to use English profanity seems out of place.

It would be like if in a movie like The Last Emperor, if the little kid character, used profanity and dropped F-bombs, it would just seem out of place since it's set in a country of a foreign language, wouldn't it?
No.

So you don't mind that the actors all speak English, that passes the authenticity test, but when children fu*king curse it takes you out of it?

They didn't get out of the cock-a-doodie Reichstag!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra