Nestorio Miklos Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I noticed that too! I'm OK with it, I think directors use the smoking scenes way too much anyway.
on other hand your 40s nom use so little. Only papa (and guys at the end of the film) and even wanted to sacrifice his tobacco. Nice touch there!

on other hand your 40s nom use so little. Only papa (and guys at the end of the film) and even wanted to sacrifice his tobacco. Nice touch there!
Oh, I Remember Mama...I haven't rewatched that yet so didn't remember that.

Everest (2015)

Baltasar Kormákur

This is a typical Hollywood “hommage to a hero” movie. It is clear from how the movie present itself, from emotional crescendo, from all that sympathy to the protagonists, from the real photos with description at the end of the movie. A viewer supposed to think of these guys as heros who achieved or almost achieved something magnificent in their lives. It is also clear from the budget and cast the film makers used. However they made a huge mistake focusing very little on characters and making them look like a bunch of …

Saying this, every inch of my soul screams „No!“. There is no one single hero in this movie except maybe the helicopter pilot who was willing to risk his life and pick up Beck Weathers (quite ironic surname). There's absolutely nothing to admire about this irresponsible bunch of idiots who tried to be be the masters of Universe and died leaving behind widows and half orphans. And for what?! Just like Jon Krakauer was asking „Why Everest?“ and none of them could actually answer that question. „Because I can“. Well amazing answer. Yes, I can do anything but the will, physics and experience are too little. You need to be equipped with much more. You need discipline, respect, healthy portion of modesty and virtues. Here I must say I don't want to judge all mountaineers. Please do not translate my thoughts on this movie „all those who climbed Mount Everest are irresponsible“ as I admire Reinhold Messner but that's the guy who grew up in mountains and from early age was climbing Dolomites. He was indeed ready for ascents of peaks over 8,000 meters.

I didn't have any sympathy with any of the characters. They are all like these cocky, arogant and selfish characters trying to prove their vanity. It is pretty much film makers' fault. They have dedicated to each character so little and all we know is the following:
  • Rob Hall is a husband that leaves behind his pregnant wife only to guide a bunch of rich guys willing to pay $65,000 Dollars after so much experience he still doesn't have the right respect and authority to lead a group. Then he dies and leaves his family fatherless.
  • Beck Weathers is a stubborn and arrogant person very quick in reminding how much he had to pay for it and demanding impossible. Yes, he said he likes to climb so he doesn't feel that dark cloud following him (apparently depressed) however is this the only way how to heal depression? I don't think so otherwise all peaks would be full of ill people and shrinks would have lost their jobs.
  • Scott Fisher is a washed up mountaineer always kind of derogating the situation and going beyond the possible. He is not a responsible person to lead a group to Mount Everest, always with a bottle of hard liquer and smart talk.

And I could continue like this. It is not my fault that film makers compromised between amazing camera and character depiction. I must admit the camera is amazing. All those beautiful mountain scenes, weather, it was surely hard work with the camera but they forgot about characters.

I think all those who died in 1996 Mount Everest disaster are spinning in their graves after how they were depicted in this movie. I rate it 5/10 for a good camera and arts. Other than that I am very disappointed. It could be done much better.

Day of Wrath

Carl Theodor Dreyer

We get to watch the family of Rev. Absalon Pederssøn in 17th century of Denmark with protestant reform already established. Absalon is a Lutheran pastor in a small Danish village and beside he is part of the inquisition trials. He saved his second wife's mother from burning at the stake only to marry Anne who didn't love him and married him out of gratitude. We see his second wife Anne, much younger than Absalon who is seemingly meek, humble, obedient but in reality she is very unhappy in marriage and her soul is screaming help. Then Absalon's mother who hates the guts of Anne and she can see her true colours. In the end Martin, Absalon's son, easy to be manipulated and lured into the tragedy.

Anne is enjoying the little moments with her husband's son Martin. She falls in love with him and she is very happy and doesn't want to think about the consequences of her relationship. We can clearly see she is avoiding the issue:

Anne, how will this all end?
Kiss me.

or

Why are you so quiet?
Say something.
Did he know?
What do you mean?
Did he know that you and I...
You told him.
He knew.That's why he called out to me.
I am cold! Keep me warm!
I still hear his voice.
Father. Father.
Are you weeping for him?
Or me?

We observe this tragedy in the shadows of inquisition trial of old woman and her death by burning and the death of an old man that is receiving Anointing of the Sick from Absalon. As if to say how all this situation leads to death and disaster. And indeed, after Anne reveals the bitter truth to her husband he dies right then and there.

I don't think this all was Anne's fault considering the circumstances and how her personality was constituted. Martin was also weak and could stop the disaster however was already too deep in lust and love. Mother was right but her transparent hate towards Anne only accelerated the event. Absolon was too busy with serving church to actually realize something.

I love this film with its truth and relentless look into a human's soul. I will definitely rewatch it and it is a keeper for me.

That's the 2015 version of Everest? There were also several other movies with the same name. Anyway I watched & reviewed the 2015 version and felt the same way about it as you do. Beautiful cinematography but too much time spent about the climbers personal lives and their problems.

That's the 2015 version of Everest? There were also several other movies with the same name. Anyway I watched & reviewed the 2015 version and felt the same way about it as you do. Beautiful cinematography but too much time spent about the climbers personal lives and their problems.
Thanks for stopping by, yes this is 2015 version. It's kind of half baked for me. I wonder what the families of deceased had to say about this.

They probably said 'ugh', the movie made their love ones look like demented climbers.

I thought the script was poor, but I loved seeing actual scenes from the mountain.

Have you ever been climbing? I haven't ever summited a mountain but I've climbed to 10,000 feet (3048 meters) on Mt Rainer, which is the tallest mountain in the continental U.S.A. I actually spent the night in a small tent at the level on a glacier. Which was one of the most beautiful sights I've seen.

I've done only 2,400 meters mid difficulty climbing (more like hiking as there were no chains or ladders). I'm highly acrophobic and I respect that. It was also beautiful thou.

That reminded me I have to rewatch Touching the Void. I barely remember it but i think it was much better than Everest.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'll see Everest for the cinematography but not expecting much about the characters because they were actually very self absorbed people. I'm still amazed Rob didnt stand up to his client.

I'll see Everest for the cinematography but not expecting much about the characters because they were actually very self absorbed people. I'm still amazed Rob didnt stand up to his client.
There was lots of pressure on him however that doesn't excuse his wrong decision and fatal consequences.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
There was lots of pressure on him however that doesn't excuse his wrong decision and fatal consequences.
Very experienced mountaineering guide. So tragic for his wife and baby.

Battle Royale(2000)

Kinji Fukasaku

Let me quote a famous and respectful philosopher first:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Sound familiar? This is something what Socrates said in 400 BC. Youth has been always rebellious. It's been always the same not different. For centuries famous philosophers and teachers were suggesting methods how to deal with youth rebellion, how to educate them but it has never concluded in murder. And I'm talking about insane guys like Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Saying this I found Battle Royale utterly useless and pointless movie.

The movie is set in the future Japan with the premise that government faces a very serious issue of unemployment and 800 thousand students feel there is no future for them and start the rebellion against authorities. Of course the school teachers are the first target of angry youth only to get disrespected, mocked and demeaned. I don't mind the topic of this movie because we will never stop to wonder how many great things a youth rebellion brought to any society. Just see a modern history of your country when adults keep silent and students went to streets to bring up the issue. However let's see the solution of Japanese government in this movie. As a measure to push back the rebellion once a year they randomly choose 40 9th graders and bring them to a deserted island 10 km in diameter. They are all surrounded with armed soldiers and a teacher from their school is a lead of the operation. They put irremovable necklaces to measure their vital signs, to track them and to listen. The soldiers distribute to each of them water and some rations and each student receives one piece of weapon starting from a paper hand fan to a machine gun. They tell them through this cool female moderator on TV that they have 3 days to kill one another until one student left and if there is more than one student left they all die detonating the necklace. Now my problem with this is:

1. just the sound of it is very sick and doesn't bring any message to anyone
  2. even if I close both my eyes and accept the concept, please tell me how this is going to prevent the rebellion. There is 800 thousand students and they take 40 for butchery. That's like nothing, so how this supposed to set an example for the rest of them. They would be even more rebellious
  3. speaking of example how come all those 40 students were surprised and it was obvious they have never heard about Battle Royale, except one student who said he is the survivor of the previous battle
  4. considering that only the most violent and sick student would always survive the battle what would happen to him/her? They supposed to come back to their fellow students and say “Guys please dont rebell any more because you will have to go on the island. Please let's stop all this nonsense.” Yeah, right! They would most probably become even more violent and aggressive leaders of youth mobs or just go on killing spree.

This is widely considered as a cult movie and pretends to send a message however I don't see any message to anyone. All I see is some minor paperback that you buy at the airport for 2 bucks to spend your flight by reading a garbage that you don't have to much reflect about and then just toss it to a waste bin or leave it behind on your seat and ever forget about it.
I don't want to be only trashing this movie so I must say that some of the acting was top notch, cinematography was good, camera was fine and soundtrack was fair. And of course the whole idea was very different and interesting but they should make it like a comedy slasher and not trying to impose some deep thought to viewers. All I can say, as always, I respect other opinions but I cannot rate this movie more than 2/5.