Is Florence Pugh a box office draw?

Tools    

How many people have to go to the cinema just because Florence Pugh is in a film, before she qualifies? Because I know at least 2 people who do.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
To me, she fits the "star" classification for the MCU roles and the lead in Midsommar. I doubt that she's a marquee name yet, but that may just be my view. I'm only just now connecting Black Widow with Midsommar (thanks to this thread), and I must say she was the better part of both as I remember them. I would probably seek out movies with her after two or three more samples. Sadly, I know that I could never really watch a movie with her, cuz the more I think on it the more I think I may be crushing. =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

To me, she fits the "star" classification for the MCU roles and the lead in Midsommar. I doubt that she's a marquee name yet, but that may just be my view. I'm only just now connecting Black Widow with Midsommar (thanks to this thread), and I must say she was the better part of both as I remember them. I would probably seek out movies with her after two or three more samples. Sadly, I know that I could never really watch a movie with her, cuz the more I think on it the more I think I may be crushing. =\
Yeah, not a “marquee name,” at least not in the Julia Roberts/Meg Ryan model. She’s more the Kate Winslet type. I would love to watch a movie with her. I actually hope one day to meet her.

loved florence pugh shes an amazing actress and loved her on black widow and hawkeye and she did alot of movies and shes doing 6 more movies, u go to her profile IMDB and it shows her movies
Still need to see Black Widow. I’m behind with the MCU.

Was Claus Kinski a movie star? Was he a massive draw at the box office?

Is Kang-ho Song a movie star?

I don't think it's a one sized fits all approach. There are probably tens of Bollywood actors that are bona fide movie stars too but nobody has ever heard of them on this site. Yet many have heard of Florence Pugh.
You’re right. “Movie Star” is a malleable term. Especially in the last 20 years. And yeah, some actors are known in their own country but not aboard. I think FP is sort of in that weird famous/not famous zone. Really well known but by a lot and unknown by a lot.

ahh serious gosh u need to watch them all if u have time cause theres alot of them releasing this year. hawkeye is after black widow
Yeah, it’s becoming like the comics where you have to stay up to date.

Black Widow
Little Women
Midsommar
Fighting with my Family
Lady Macbeth

Well the five films she's been in have all done very well when it comes to budget/return and I will see her in a good movie...so yes.

I’ve heard FP referred to as a movie star but for me a movie star is someone who can open a movie on their name alone. But has she done that yet? I think that’s the real test of being an actual star.
With this faulty premise this subject has already been given more discussion than it probably deserves. Let's start with the anecdotal nonsense of, "I’ve heard [Florence Pugh] referred to as a movie star". Heard from who? Variety? "Entertainment Tonight"? Two strangers you overheard talking on the bus? Your Mom?

But OK, let's let that go for a second and accept that somebody somewhere is referring to Florence Pugh as a "Movie Star". Not the star of a movie, not a rising star, but a Movie Star. As just about everyone who already has responded has said, no, probably not by any strictly accepted definition of that phrase. But you then make the definition pretty specific: "open a movie on their name alone". For that you need not ask people in an online film forum if she has done that. Clearly and objectively no, she has not. Also, nobody on the planet is really opening a movie these days and we shall see what that model looks like whenever we are finally on the other side of the pandemic.

But going beyond all of that crud, if you want a more nuanced and apt definition within the industry itself, yeah, I'd say Florence Pugh is very much on the verge of being considered a bonafide Movie Star. With profiles like THIS New York Times feature during the awards season push for Little Women coupled with her nomination, she is without question a rising star. Lady Macbeth was the performance that got her a lot of attention in the industry, Midsommar put her in the public spotlight to remember her, Little Women raised her profile to the next level in and out of the business, and Black Widow put her in a franchise. She is attached to five more movies that will all come out in the next couple years or so including Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer and Olivia Wilde's upcoming Don't Worry Darling.

But the future IMDb credit that tells you that she is truly a burgeoning Movie Star is the project The Maid, to be adapted from Nita Prose's novel. The book has been optioned by Universal Pictures but there is no director or screenwriter attached. The only name attached at this early stage is Florence Pugh. She is also the executive producer. THAT is Movie Star level, when the actor is attached before anything else. That is what happens to your ScarJos and JLaws. Florence Pugh may not get to their level, and not just because FloPu is an awful abbreviated moniker, but she is surely going to be around for a while, and if just one of those upcoming projects nets her another Oscar nomination and she continues this trajectory, by just about any definition she will be a Movie Star very soon, if you really must use such a term.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Black Widow
Little Women
Midsommar
Fighting with my Family
Lady Macbeth

Well the five films she's been in have all done very well when it comes to budget/return and I will see her in a good movie...so yes.
she did a great job on hawkeye

With this faulty premise this subject has already been given more discussion than it probably deserves. Let's start with the anecdotal nonsense of, "I’ve heard [Florence Pugh] referred to as a movie star". Heard from who? Variety? "Entertainment Tonight"? Two strangers you overheard talking on the bus? Your Mom?

But OK, let's let that go for a second and accept that somebody somewhere is referring to Florence Pugh as a "Movie Star". Not the star of a movie, not a rising star, but a Movie Star. As just about everyone who already has responded has said, no, probably not by any strictly accepted definition of that phrase. But you then make the definition pretty specific: "open a movie on their name alone". For that you need not ask people in an online film forum if she has done that. Clearly and objectively no, she has not. Also, nobody on the planet is really opening a movie these days and we shall see what that model looks like whenever we are finally on the other side of the pandemic.

But going beyond all of that crud, if you want a more nuanced and apt definition within the industry itself, yeah, I'd say Florence Pugh is very much on the verge of being considered a bonafide Movie Star. With profiles like THIS New York Times feature during the awards season push for Little Women coupled with her nomination, she is without question a rising star. Lady Macbeth was the performance that got her a lot of attention in the industry, Midsommar put her in the public spotlight to remember her, Little Women raised her profile to the next level in and out of the business, and Black Widow put her in a franchise. She is attached to five more movies that will all come out in the next couple years or so including Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer and Olivia Wilde's upcoming Don't Worry Darling.

But the future IMDb credit that tells you that she is truly a burgeoning Movie Star is the project The Maid, to be adapted from Nita Prose's novel. The book has been optioned by Universal Pictures but there is no director or screenwriter attached. The only name attached at this early stage is Florence Pugh. She is also the executive producer. THAT is Movie Star level, when the actor is attached before anything else. That is what happens to your ScarJos and JLaws. Florence Pugh may not get to their level, and not just because FloPu is an awful abbreviated moniker, but she is surely going to be around for a while, and if just one of those upcoming projects nets her another Oscar nomination and she continues this trajectory, by just about any definition she will be a Movie Star very soon, if you really must use such a term.
Thank you for the well thought out reply. I’ve heard she’s a star from Twitter mostly, which already gives me pause because the internet isn’t the real world. Maybe it is a faulty premise, and for that I’m sorry. And it probably has garnered more discussion then it’s deserved though it’s been interesting seeing everyone’s replies.

As you said, she’s definitely on the trajectory, it’s just that people jump the gun and label someone a star maybe a little early. For me, Don’t Worry Darling is such a question mark. I don’t know how well it’ll do box-office wise. It may be the test of whether FP can draw people in though Harry Styles may end up being the big draw for people. That and the concept, which sounds intriguing. The Wonder may be her Oscar win though being a Netflix film it’ll probably have more views there than in theatres, if it’s released in theatres. She’s in a movie directed by her boyfriend Zach Braff but that’s another question mark box office wise.

DWD may be the one that solidifies her as a box office star. But as I said before, the idea of a movie star has changed. And with COVID, people stay away unless it’s Marvel or something similar. And it seems like the brand is the star more than any particular actor nowadays.

lol no...when was the last time you heard anyone say "I'm going to see that Florence Pugh movie"?

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

lol no...when was the last time you heard anyone say "I'm going to see that Florence Pugh movie"?
Yeah, I think she has a lot of fans but I don’t know if she’s a household name yet. I’m interested if Don’t Worry Darling solidifies her as a star.