The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Cool. I've got a moratorium on unnecessary expenses until we sell this house, but I think I'll probably get that at some point.

I was reading some review recently, I should see if it was for the Quest 2. Basically I remember them saying it was wireless and surprisingly cheap and those are the two things I've been waiting for.

Heyyyy I was wondering if we had a video game thread and lo and behold I found it!

A little about myself: I got a Switch and a Series X with Game Pass. I love me some roguelikes, turn based strategy and of course Resident Evil. Currently playing Nobody Saves the World and having a ball.

A system of cells interlinked
Heyyyy I was wondering if we had a video game thread and lo and behold I found it!

A little about myself: I got a Switch and a Series X with Game Pass. I love me some roguelikes, turn based strategy and of course Resident Evil. Currently playing Nobody Saves the World and having a ball.
Welcome!

I recently finished a play through of Resident Evil 2 Remake, which was a damned fine remake.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

Heyo! Welcome to the time-sink thread!!!
If you're a fan of turn-based strategy and RE, you might actually dig Othercide. I just started it on the PS4 and, while it's awkward to get into, I'm finding more depth as I play. Some features are only recognizable after some very major setbacks, but that seems to be the design of the game to force me into matches I am clearly unprepared for so that I can experience resets and the benefits of them.

I made a post about it about a week ago or so. Take a look! Come to think on it, I need to post an update soon. I checked and it is available on Switch.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Heyo! Welcome to the time-sink thread!!!
If you're a fan of turn-based strategy and RE, you might actually dig Othercide. I just started it on the PS4 and, while it's awkward to get into, I'm finding more depth as I play. Some features are only recognizable after some very major setbacks, but that seems to be the design of the game to force me into matches I am clearly unprepared for so that I can experience resets and the benefits of them.

I made a post about it about a week ago or so. Take a look! Come to think on it, I need to post an update soon. I checked and it is available on Switch.

Jesus this looks intense. I’ll wishlist it for sure. Thanks for the rec!

In the Beginning...
I recently finished a play through of Resident Evil 2 Remake, which was a damned fine remake.
I'm currently on a Resident Evil kick and replaying the RE1 remake. I'm STOKED to play the RE2 and RE3 remakes, but I'll probably replay RE0 first because there's a lot I don't remember about that game.

I also recently played RE: Revelations 2 and was really delighted by how good it is. Felt very much like classic RE, even without the fixed camera. And it's got me interested in finally trying my hand at RE5 through Village.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The Quest 2 is probably the no-brainer at the moment. (If you're fine with having a FB / 'Metaverse' account and all that).

Just get the cheaper version with less storage, and use it as a PCVR set. Best of all worlds. (Free standing wireless play of lower poly games, v portable when you want. But can use wired to PC, or wireless with some faff, to play steam library etc with better graphics and oomph. Solid controllers, painless tracking set up, super compatible with broad spread of games etc. Less flakey than the Windows variants, cheaper than the other high-end variants etc. And cheaper than the Vive/Steam ones etc.).

I'm still on an older Oculus at the mo, until it conks out completely. But Q2 is where I'd jump right now as things stand.
I finally got a third sensor set up here in my office for my Rift but haven't found time to really test it out properly. I think I like the untethered options of the Quest sets, but I'll stick with the Rift since I don't spend huge amounts of time in VR yet anyway. (My motion sickness and fear of heights really cut out a lot of game options for me, sadly. Perhaps with more use those would become more managable but they do tend to scare me away too much.)

@Yoda ... if it's a Quest you'd look at, you can obviously ask your brother what he thinks of his and possibly even take it for a test run.

I'm currently on a Resident Evil kick and replaying the RE1 remake. I'm STOKED to play the RE2 and RE3 remakes, but I'll probably replay RE0 first because there's a lot I don't remember about that game.

I also recently played RE: Revelations 2 and was really delighted by how good it is. Felt very much like classic RE, even without the fixed camera. And it's got me interested in finally trying my hand at RE5 through Village.
RE 2 was an odd experience, as I had played through it back when it was first released on the PS1, but it was so long ago, I barely recalled some of it. Some sections came back in a flash once I started wandering around, but other sections of the game had me all...

You ready? You look ready.
As much as I’d like to I can’t play Resident Evil games anymore. They traumatized me as a kid.

Couch co-op I can handle but alone…ain’t happening no way, no how

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
As much as I’d like to I can’t play Resident Evil games anymore. They traumatized me as a kid.

Couch co-op I can handle but alone…ain’t happening no way, no how
Yeah, I'll second this sorta. I got RE on the ole PS1 way back in my 20s I guess? Dang. DANG was it that far back?? Anyway. I thought the acting was stilted, but I pushed through. I think my first in-game cut scene was walking into a bathroom and finding a zombie gnawing on some dead guy. That was cool. I pushed a bit more and found myself walking a long hallway. Then some zombie dog crashed through the window scaring the living dfhgadfhadasdg out of my bowels.

I don't think I've returned to that world since.

Basically I remember them saying it was wireless and surprisingly cheap and those are the two things I've been waiting for.
You, also, are wireless and surprisingly cheap, so it's a good fit.

In the Beginning...
RE 2 was an odd experience, as I had played through it back when it was first released on the PS1, but it was so long ago, I barely recalled some of it. Some sections came back in a flash once I started wandering around, but other sections of the game had me all...

Which character playthrough are you doing right now?

You might not have actually forgotten some sections: Capcom adjusted some things in the RE1 remake and I've heard their RE3 remake has been altered a bit, as well. I'm eager to play the RE2 remake because I used to know the original back to front, so I'm hoping to pick up on whatever new surprises they've added to the game.

Which character playthrough are you doing right now?

You might not have actually forgotten some sections: Capcom adjusted some things in the RE1 remake and I've heard their RE3 remake has been altered a bit, as well. I'm eager to play the RE2 remake because I used to know the original back to front, so I'm hoping to pick up on whatever new surprises they've added to the game.
Which character right now? Geralt of Rivia.

I played Claire when I went through RE2, which was in November or December. There was an entire lab section which I had no recollection of ever seeing. Police Station and Sewers seemed familiar, and I definitely remembered the final boss fight and the ending.

I don’t really like 5 or 6 but 7 and 8 are terrific.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I didn't really enjoy what I played of RE5 back when it was released. The new emphasis on run-and-gun action over tense survival horror notwithstanding, I just couldn't get into the "global espionage" direction they started taking with the story. Everything felt very off-brand for Resident Evil, like Capcom was trying to turn the series into a Gears of War / Call of Duty hybrid because that's what gamers were eating up at the time. I abandoned RE for several years after that.

I don’t really like 5 or 6 but 7 and 8 are terrific.
Yeah, RE7 was a lot of fun; haven't played Village yet, but I have heard criticism of it from some people that it suffers a bit of an identity crisis from trying to combine aspects of 7's horror-based experience with 4's more action-y gameplay:

Anyway, based on the series' history, I fully expect 9 to be the one where the current RE formula gets too tired to continue, just like every previous third game in the franchise, before they reboot it with a new gameplay mode, and the cycle begins all over yet again; time is a flat circle, and all that.

Yeah, RE7 was a lot of fun; haven't played Village yet, but I have heard criticism of it from some people that it suffers a bit of an identity crisis from trying to combine aspects of 7's horror-based experience with 4's more action-y gameplay:

Anyway, based on the series' history, I fully expect 9 to be the one where the current RE formula gets too tired to continue, just like every previous third game in the franchise, before they reboot it with a new gameplay mode, and the cycle begins all over yet again; time is a flat circle, and all that.
I wouldn’t say Village has an identity crisis I think it’s intentionally paying homage to several different styles of survival horror, and there’s more to the game than those parts.

And if anyone loves Resident Evil enough to watch an 7 and a half hour retrospective, here’s Noah Caldwell:

In case anyone was following my dilemma over using a 4K TV as a monitor and then having games and video (and almost everything) flickering and giving the screen periodic blackouts...

...the answer came through an nVidia support forum user, who suggested a rollback to a driver from way back in September (!!), since he had a similar issue. I hesitated to roll back that far, but once I tried it (a few days ago), I've had no flickering or blackout screens at all. Not even one. And a thread in the support forum on the newest driver seems to have other folks griping over flickering and blackouts, so it wasn't just me. Unsure why rolling it back nearly five months was the solution, but all is well. I'll just wait till I hear that they've solved this issue in a future driver update.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Trip Report: Hitman 2 & 3

H2 was on sale on Humble, and all back-compatible with VR via H3. And I'm glad I rolled the dice on it . Insane amount of content now all told. (For a VR title)

Liking its sunnier 'holiday' locations more than H3 in some ways, which helps as I've decided to work through H2 before carrying on with the latter.

Finally hitting some maps which are a bigger test for my 1080 overall. The rave map in H3 and the race track in H2 both sent me reprojecting in the denser areas. (I'm playing on the 'higher' VR setting, with more items etc, so could poss dial that down, but it does mean the saves aren't compatible).

Generally though just loving the 'open world' size of the maps. The Columbia jungle pueblo one in H2 is just nuts, for example, and actually performs fine. It just keeps extending... cocaine fields, underground networks, the jumbled domiciles tracing the river.

Given that 'walking sims' gain a lot from VR, even just wandering around casing these joints is involving in its own right, as you meander past endless fun plot conversations from NPCs, or push through some foliage just to see where it goes.

Throw in the bonus puzzles of 'how do I kite that guy over here so I can stun that guy like this' as you try and ghost appropriately through the various territories, and the spread of actual assassination stories and free-form options, and I'm getting totally lost in it

I am still not entirely competent though. Managed to set up an electrocution sting without either turning on the vital plug, or realising that the water from the water cooler would run out...

I just moistened my target...

On the plus side, having imitated my way into a cocaine baron's palace, and found myself face to face with him but with no assassin's tools (due to a frisking at the gate), it was pretty fun to just fling an impromptu meat cleaver at him and leap out of a bathroom window

(Yeah it's really weird what actually gets through the frisking process...)

But I have to go now and decide whether I'm going to knock the intel out of a bodyguard with a fish or not...