The Gray Man - Netflix $200m Action Franchise

Tools    

Netflix Commits Largest Budget So Far For ‘The Gray Man’; Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans Star, AGBO’S Joe & Anthony Russo Direct Mano A Mano Espionage Thriller:

Fresh from an earnings report that saw it add 10 million subscribers during the pandemic, Netflix has just set its most financially ambitious feature film so far. Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans are set to star in The Gray Man, with AGBO’s Joe & Anthony Russo directing their first blockbuster since setting the all-time global box office record with Avengers: Endgame two years ago. The intention here is to create a new franchise with a James Bond level of scale and a budget upward of $200 million.

The Russos’ AGBO is producing, and the script was written by Joe Russo, with a polish by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who scripted the Russo-directed Captain America and Avengers films and who are Co-Presidents of Story at AGBO. It is based on the 2009 Mark Greaney novel that introduced the Gray Man, a freelance assassin and former CIA operative named Court Gentry.
Yowza.

This should have been a Slender Man 200$ Action Franchise. Bad move, Netflix.

So the floor on this is probably just average, but the ceiling could be very high here

I'm gonna see this out of respect for the Russo's and their responsibility for the most emotional trainwreck I've ever experienced in theaters. I'm never getting that back, so I'll hold onto it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
My main concern is the casting. Can Gosling pull off the leading man action hero? As much as I like him, personality is not really his calling card. Contrast that with Evans who seems like an over-the-top cartoon villain, with the requisite cheese filled quips. And that mustache. Feels like a Bennett tribute.

I am not afraid of using the reverse-mush technique, so I want to be wrong.

The trick is not minding
My main concern is the casting. Can Gosling pull off the leading man action hero? As much as I like him, personality is not really his calling card. Contrast that with Evans who seems like an over-the-top cartoon villain, with the requisite cheese filled quips. And that mustache. Feels like a Bennett tribute.

I am not afraid of using the reverse-mush technique, so I want to be wrong.
Considering how well he pulled off the action sequences in Drive and Bladerunner 2049, I’m sure he’ll do just fine.

This is all just throwing spaghetti without a wall until we can see the movie.

That comparison doesn’t really work for me. Drive and BR aren’t this type of movie. With a Commando inspired villain. I don’t think this is a quiet, brooding, introspective movie.

The trick is not minding
This is all just throwing spaghetti without a wall until we can see the movie.

That comparison doesn’t really work for me. Drive and BR aren’t this type of movie. With a Commando inspired villain. I don’t think this is a quiet, brooding, introspective movie.
Not quite. Your concern was over whether he could handle actions scenes, to which I provided two films where he did fine in said scenes. Particularly, the opening scene to BR 2049. The fact they are “quiet, brooding” films is irrelevant as to the type of action he has shown he is capable of, and whether he can pull it off, so to speak.

Ignoring those, albeit limited, scenes doesn’t support your concerns, don’t you think?

Maybe we’re both not listening to each other.

I never said “handle action scenes”. I said “action hero”. My definition, is an Ahnold, Bruce Willis, larger than life presence.

You believe he did fine in Drive and BR and that’s okay. I don’t see those as action movies. Drive never featured any sprawling action set pieces. An elevator, a dressing room, a motel room. Yes, there is action, but it’s not Die Hard.

It’s a difference of opinion. I’m not interested in telling you you’re wrong. I agree that your explanation works for you and I’m happy to leave it at that.

The trick is not minding
Maybe we’re both not listening to each other.

I never said “handle action scenes”. I said “action hero”. My definition, is an Ahnold, Bruce Willis, larger than life presence.

You believe he did fine in Drive and BR and that’s okay. I don’t see those as action movies. Drive never featured any sprawling action set pieces. An elevator, a dressing room, a motel room. Yes, there is action, but it’s not Die Hard.

It’s a difference of opinion. I’m not interested in telling you you’re wrong. I agree that your explanation works for you and I’m happy to leave it at that.
It was meant merely as a discussion. Nothing more.

You ready? You look ready.
So apparently our superheros no longer take steroids. They just put on a grey tracksuit and run a lot. Evans mustache is the best looking part from the trailer. I’d like to be wrong but experience tells me I’m right.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, it is a Netflix original so you could always just stay home. I think it'll get played at a theatre near me but these trailers don't make me think it'll be worth that much effort (and it's not like I haven't seen Netflix originals in theatres before).

You ready? You look ready.
Unless it hits some other rental service I doubt I will ever see it. I stopped watching Netflix right around the time they stopped handing out free trials.

Well, it is a Netflix original so you could always just stay home. I think it'll get played at a theatre near me but these trailers don't make me think it'll be worth that much effort (and it's not like I haven't seen Netflix originals in theatres before).
yea true but i watch it online instead paying subscription every year . but i love to watch it at the cinemas with my support workers

We have an AMC, Grand and Cinemark in the surrounding area. Cinemark is going to be showing this and they have morning movies.

We have an AMC, Grand and Cinemark in the surrounding area. Cinemark is going to be showing this and they have morning movies.
let me know if its good movie cuz me and my support worker is gonna see it at the cinemas tomoroww

This isn’t going to rank in the pantheon of spy-action films, but it succeeded in steamrolling 2 hours. The Russos did a good job, but could they do it without a blank check?