Songs With Matt

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'll post stuff on here whenever.. Feel free to listen, discuss, etc...

I'll put two for their respective lives...

David Bowie - Station To Station

Eagles - New Kid In Town (for Glenn Frey)

Looking forward to it, Matt.
Thanks, got the idea from your album thread!

Horrible video, but probably the most interest song of Paul's, though the riff is Linda's. I was listening to this for the first time before going to Siam (Thailand).. Enjoy.. Most McCartney fans I've met have never even hear this song, so comments are very welcome.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Old Siam, Sir

I love that song. Thinking of it as a prototype Disco song is an interesting angle. I don't know enough about music to be able to argue the point, but I don't think it is. I think it's just too bluesy Even if it is, I think The Supremes have a couple of songs which predate it and, IMO, have a stronger claim. Not that they're disco, either.

It's probably something obscure that I've never heard of, but I'd be looking in and around The Jackson/Jackson 5 for the first. That kind of Motown but funkier sound.

I love that song. Thinking of it as a prototype Disco song is an interesting angle. I don't know enough about music to be able to argue the point, but I don't think it is. I think it's just too bluesy Even if it is, I think The Supremes have a couple of songs which predate it and, IMO, have a stronger claim. Not that they're disco, either.

It's probably something obscure that I've never heard of, but I'd be looking in and around The Jackson/Jackson 5 for the first. That kind of Motown but funkier sound.
Peace Frog was written in 1969, it's the rhythm, man! This music program used The Trammps because of the quarter notes on the bass drum, which is exactly what John Densmore does, and even skips a beat on the snare, which REALLY gives it a disco feel.

Do you remember the song title you had in mind, Supremes or Jacksons?

Time for my favorite song of all-time. It's been my favorite song since I was 14.. Best music, lyrics, vocals, guitar solo. What else could one want from life?

Pink Floyd - Time

Think maybe me and HK would recognise some of the early Northern Soul (a UK term) as the early disco. Stuff like this from 1969

Think maybe me and HK would recognise some of the early Northern Soul (a UK term) as the early disco. Stuff like this from 1969
I just heard this, I'd consider this funk. Drums, guitar, etc.

The Supremes song I was thinking of was You Keep Me Hanging On. It's something I've heard a few times recently because of the song tournament. Again, I'm not saying it is disco (as I don't think Peace Frog is) but that you can hear things here which become familiar in disco.

I didn't have any song in mind for TheJacksons, just that kind of sound at the turn of the decade. Here's a classic which is also from 1969.

Northern Soul hadn't really occurred to me, Christine, but you're right and that's along the lines of 'funkier Motown' sound I was talking about. Too funky for disco, but again, you can hear it in the track.

The Supremes song I was thinking of was You Keep Me Hanging On. It's something I've heard a few times recently because of the song tournament. Again, I'm not saying it is disco (as I don't think Peace Frog is) but that you can hear things here which become familiar in disco.

I didn't have any song in mind for TheJacksons, just that kind of sound at the turn of the decade. Here's a classic which is also from 1969.

Northern Soul hadn't really occurred to me, Christine, but you're right and that's along the lines of 'funkier Motown' sound I was talking about. Too funky for disco, but again, you can hear it in the track.
I like the song by The Supremes. I usually don't like remakes, but Vanilla Fudge did a really good one. I'll try to listen to the Jackson song when I get a better connection.

The Jacksons song is I Want You Back. I'm sure you know it.

There's also a good Kim WIlde version of Keep Me Hanging On. Vanilla Fudge did some good stuff. My mum had one of their albums so I'd hear it when I was a kid.

I love funk, I love the brass sections, early funk, soul, motown, philly soul all lead directly into disco in my head anyway
They do to me, too. That's the point I was trying to make. I don't think any of these things are disco, but you can hear the origins or the things which were taken to mold into disco in each of them.

Keith Carradine - I'm Easy (Nashville)

I get chills when I see Lily Tomlin's face. Every other girl think he's singing about her, except the one who isn't posturing.

The Beatles - A Day In The Life

listen to the rhyming couplet -

.... laugh"
.....photograph"

you can't even hear the "ph" sound because of the wonderful tenderness, the vibrato, trill, the talent

When Jimmy Page was forming Led Zeppelin, he sought Terry Reid, but turned him down, so Jimmy went with Robert Plant.

Great singer, I like him more than Plant, but who knows what we would have lost - also don't know what we'd have gained.

Terry Reid - Seeds of Memory