Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

Fellini's Roma has an English dub, and for whatever reason that really intrigues me.
So does La Strada. Most all Italian films are 'dubbed' as they film without sound an the actors do the dialogue in the studio later. Sometimes the same actors also do English dubs, other times different voice actors are used.

So does La Strada. Most all Italian films are 'dubbed' as they film without sound an the actors do the dialogue in the studio later. Sometimes the same actors also do English dubs, other times different voice actors are used.
Cool. Definitely gonna grab a piece of this alternative since I've seen a lot of Italian dubs already, and the dubbing for Roma is, quite literally, surprisingly good.

I started watching A Hard Day's Night (1964) on TCM - OnDemand, and I learned that the opening to Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) is a spoof of the opening of A Hard Day's Night!

And here I thought the Austin Powers opening was so original.

I started watching A Hard Day's Night (1964) on TCM - OnDemand, and I learned that the opening to Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) is a spoof of the opening of A Hard Day's Night!

And here I thought the Austin Powers opening was so original.
Wow. But you had at least heard of The Beatles, yes?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes. I'd probably seen A Hard Day's Night and Help decades ago, but don't remember anything about them (or what would distinguish one from the other.)

I always thought there was something vaguely familiar about the Austin Powers opening, but just wrote it off to all the 60's iconography it contains.

The Austin Powers opening borrows the being chased through the streets of London by mobs of fans, the telephone booth, hiding behind a newspaper and the beard disguise from the opening of A Hard Day's Night.

The Austin Powers opening borrows the being chased through the streets of London by mobs of fans, the telephone booth, hiding behind a newspaper and the beard disguise from the opening of A Hard Day's Night.
Uh, yeah. I got the reference when I saw the movie in 1997.

Uh, yeah. I got the reference when I saw the movie in 1997.
Obviously, you remembered the opening to A Hard Day's Night.
I did not, and am not sure if I'd ever even seen it before watching it recently on TCM.
So for me there was no reference in 1997 for me to recall until now.
Thus, I count it as something I "just found out / learned recently."

How odd if he’d said no.

Beethoven was born in 1770, but I’ve heard of him.
Why this running joke that I haven't heard of the Beatles? Just because I don't recollect seeing their first movie before? I haven't seen probably 90% of John Wayne's movies, but that doesn't mean I never heard of him.

Trivia: during TCM's introduction to A Hard Day's Night they said the movie was rushed through on every level. (I think they said it had a 6 week filming time and was put into theaters almost immediately)... this was all because the producers felt the group was going to be a few-hit-wonder, that they were a temporary fad that would fade within a couple month's time. So the idea was to get the movie out while the Beatles were still "known" and to capitalize on their meteoric yet momentary rise to fame. Little did they know.

Why this running joke that I haven't heard of the Beatles? Just because I don't recollect seeing their first movie before? I haven't seen probably 90% of John Wayne's movies, but that doesn't mean I never heard of him.
LOL, to me it was funny because it was coming from Holden. He doesn’t usually make jokes so it made it extra funny for me.

Just learned that most ballet dancers have mangled feet. I guess I should have known that -- but I didn't. I was just reading about how Margaret Qualley, star of My Salinger Year, hates how her feet and toes look after years of practicing the pointe technique and dancing in pointe shoes. I also didn't know she was the daughter of Andie MacDowell.

BTW, I liked My Salinger Year. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2222052/

For the older members of the forum . . .

I didn't know that Noel Neill, the actress that played Lois Lane in the 1950s Superman TV series, was quite hot in the 1940s . . .

For the older members of the forum . . .

I didn't know that Noel Neill, the actress that played Lois Lane in the 1950s Superman TV series, was quite hot in the 1940s . . .
I've not seen the 50s Superman TV series but wow! She was hot

Noel Neill and George Reeves.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A Hard Day's Night was made the same year I was born!
Mr Minio's Stalker Database Has Been Updated
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
It took me watching and re-watching season 1 of Cobra Kai before it occurred to me that the opening song of episode 2 - "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Dean Martin, is how Daniel beat Johnny in the karate tournament.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140