Game of Thrones, Season 5

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
That's a camera in a theater!

I'm ready... but it seems like every series I'm waiting to see come back is coming back in April. I'd better get as much work done as I can between now and then, because I'll be stuck in front of the TV for months once April hits.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Official trailer just debuted, saw it on facebook, should be on youtube soon. I just finished reading books in mid January and honestly I can't wait to see all of those things on screen, some really awesome locations and epic events, I'm sad they need to cut out so much, but I get it. Trailer looks fantastic, can't wait

Im ready.

Now I havent read the books, and I hope the book readers dont come in and "accidently" give something away, but I heard the intensity is even greater in season 5 i.e. the 5th book (Whatever it was called).

One thing about Game Of Thrones, its like Walking Dead to where nobody is safe. You think maybe Tyrion, Jon Snow, Danarys, and Bran are mainstays.....but would you bet money on it?

A system of cells interlinked
Some critics have seen a few episodes, and a few are spitting mad, while others are applauding the bold choice to disconnect from Martin's narrative; apparently, the show runners have basically ditched the books entirely at this point.

POSSIBLE SEASON 5 SPOILERS below, being compared to Book 5 events. Do NOT read this if you don't want to be spoiled on either front.

WARNING: "Game of Thrones Books AND Show" spoilers below
Rumor has it they have switched the roles of the Stark sisters. Really, I am befuddled by this report, as it makes almost zero sense. Arya is on the boat to Braavos, and Sansa is in place with Littlefinger - how can they "completely switch roles"? Unless Sansa gets struck blind and becomes an assassin in the Vale? I am stumped, here.

Tyrion's story has been completely rewritten, with most or all of the side characters (half the cast of A Feast for Crows) he travels with in the books being removed completely. This I can see being trimmed a bit to keep character count low, but if they pull the entire story of his travels on the ship, that's a huge chuck. Also, pretty sure those Martells he ends up with are kind of important, yea? Guess they will be blown off completely in the show.

Arianne Martell has been completely removed - This is lame, period.

Those are the changes that immediately struck me as WOW!

At this point the ways they deviate from the books actually give us a really big hint about where the books are going. We know the showrunners know the general conclusion of the books, and plan to generally follow it, so anything they change must be something that doesn't alter that general ending. Which is pretty telling.

I'm pretty agnostic on all this, though. They have to make a good show first, before making an accurate adaptation, and they've earned a bit of benefit of the doubt on that front. But it's reasonable to be concerned, for sure. I expect they'll be deviating a lot more this season than they have so far, and more than they will in the last two seasons. The 4th and 5th books were an artificial extension of the series, so I'm less concerned about them messing with those than I would be about the others.

Perhaps they thought "Dang, this guy just kinda lost it in book four; let's distill all this down, wipe out a bunch of red herrings and world building, and keep the story focused on moving forward."

The Arya thing would piss me right off, if true. My favorite character!

Yeah, from what I understand the series was going to be 3 books, then 5, and when it was supposed to be 5, he was going to leap forward in time after Storm of Swords right into Winds of Winter. But he decided it'd be too jarring to have to refer back to all the things he skipped past, so he wrote 4 and 5 to fill that in. Which is probably why they're so widely regarded as (relative) filler, at least plot-wise. So there's a good chance they can muck around a little this year without compromising the end of the series, since it was more or less inserted into the middle of the original story, assuming what I heard was correct.

It's gonna be really rough next year, though, because I don't think I can resist watching, even though next year is the year we have to start choosing between the books and the show (whereas right now they're only venturing ahead here and there). Gah.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So first four episodes leaked, anyone know where I can watch them?

I'm looking forward to this, even though I hated parts of the Season 4 finale. Can't wait to see what's next for Tyrion.
Wut.

That finale was SO good! What didn't you like?

@Tongo: Not sure what we could spoil, since the show runners have ditched the books at this point. Most of the stuff in the premiere last night was fabricated by the show runners. That's...not what happened to Tyrion, for instance. Sansa? No clue where she is off to, either! Everything has been changed drastically so far except Dany's story, which has just been trimmed a bit.

Wut.

That finale was SO good! What didn't you like?

@Tongo: Not sure what we could spoil, since the show runners have ditched the books at this point. Most of the stuff in the premiere last night was fabricated by the show runners. That's...not what happened to Tyrion, for instance. Sansa? No clue where she is off to, either! Everything has been changed drastically so far except Dany's story, which has just been trimmed a bit.
Oh! Ok cool. I havent read them so I didnt know whats different.