How to write a screen play....

Tools    

I have to say I am alittle disappointed on the feedback this thread has gotten.

I sure hoped it would elicit a little more response in reguards to helping each other out with their pet projects either with criticisms or with ideas. Frankly, I am surprised it didnt go that route with as many people in this forum that claim to be writing.

With my original concept in mind, I recieved a good article via email from a friend who also writes and thought I would share it.

Enjoy.

Where Agents Hide Out
By: Lenore Wright (Author of the book, How to Break into the Screenwriting Business)

Can't find an agent? They're hiding in plain sight on the Web - if you know where to look.

AGENTS THE PROS USE

The best list of agents for the American film market resides on the Writer's Guild of America website (http://www.wga.org/agency.html). DON'T CLICK on that hotlink just yet! To derive the most benefit from the Guild's list, you have to know why their list is the best. Because

----> They target agents who specialize in film and television writers.
----> They list agents geographically.
----> The WGA staff vetted each agency for these two criteria vital to aspiring screenwriters:

1) Is the agency a Guild signatory?
As members of the Society of Authors Representatives, Guild Signatories have agreed to abide by the Guild's regulations and uphold the WGA's Minimum Basic Agreement. This is IMPORTANT. These agents cannot charge a fee for reading your script; nor can they encourage you to accept a non-Guild contract.

2) Will the agency consider new writers?
The WGA list puts an asterisk ( * ) by those agencies that will consider new writers and an ( L ) by those agencies that require query letters from writers BEFORE submitting a script.

Agencies marked with two asterisks ( * * ) will ONLY consider writers with endorsements from film industry professionals they know personally. Unless this applies to you (Lucky you!), do not waste your time pursuing the ( * * ) agencies.

Pay attention to these vital details and you will save yourself work and heartache. More importantly, you will give yourself the best chance of finding a reputable agent who can help you achieve your Hollywood dreams.

OUTSIDE THE HOLLYWOOD LOOP

Should you consider pursuing agents beyond the Hollywood loop? Yes, however, most agents representing screenwriters working in the American market reside in California or New York.

The Writer's Guild of Great Britain, the Australian Writer's Guild and the Writer's Guild of Canada share many of the same ideals and goals for writers as the WGA; however these sites do not post local agency lists. Don't worry, I found some helpful lists elsewhere.

If you live in the UK, Author-Network.com offers several helpful pages:

~ http://www.author-network.com/agents.html (list of agents)
~ http://www.author-network.com/litagent.html (what an agent can do for you)

Another UK site - Readmywriting.com - publishes an extensive list of agents with details on their special interests and areas of expertise. Here's the link: http://www.writersworld.tv/authors/u...raryagents.htm

If you reside in Australia or New Zealand you can try this option: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozlit/agents.html

In Canada: The Canadian Authors Association suggests aspiring writers use this publication to research agents - The Canadian Writer's Guide - available from http://www.canauthors.org/pubs.html

Selling a new writer's work is difficult. Only a small percentage of agencies want to hear from new writers - 10% of the agencies on the WGA list. Don't be discouraged, some agents hide out under other names like Manager or Entertainment Lawyer.

MANAGERS and ENTERTAINMENT LAWYERS

Managers and Entertainment Lawyers often submit scripts to film industry pros on the behalf of screenwriters. Established managers or lawyers with active film clients - directors, stars, producers, and studio contacts - will have access to the talent you need to get your script read by the right people.

Script Rep offers an extensive list of Managers and Entertainment Lawyers (http://www.scriptrep.com). Click on the Industry Info tab to get a menu listing separate pages for Managers and Entertainment Attorneys.

The Script Sales Agency List (compiled from the Hollywood Creative Directory) includes many managers (http://www.scriptsales.com). They offer a separate list of Los Angeles Law Firms that specialize in Entertainment Law.

DEEP AGENTING
Once you've found an appropriate agency to target, you'll want to pursue a specific agent for particular projects or if your career needs special handling. Finding detailed information on individual agents will help you choose the best ones to query. These sites offer the relevant details you need.

~ Author Link (http://www.authorlink.com) offers an agency list that targets book agents primarily, but many indicate they handle screenwriters as well. On their homepage, look under Writers Resources and click on Agency Directory. Some listings reveal helpful details: the writers or books they've represented, what they've sold recently, what they like and what makes them cranky.

~ Movie Bytes (http://www.moviebytes.com) has introduced a service called WHO'S BUYING WHAT. For a modest subscription fee, you can access a database that pairs up agents with the deals they've brokered. You can search for information about a particular agent or a particular script sale.

DON'T SPIN YOUR WHEELS

Some aspiring screenwriters attract an agent who helps open doors for them; others attract buyers for their scripts without using an agent; then they employ an agent or lawyer to negotiate the contract. Most ambitious screenwriters try both these tactics, especially when they're starting out.

If you decide to pursue agents, don't spin your wheels, get where you're going!

© Copyright 1996 by Alex Epstein

A lot has been written about screenplay format, much of it overly rigid.

The basic points are as follows:

• Title page has title and screenwriter's name(s) in the middle, and where to find you (including your eddress) at the foot. It does not have quotations, especially not in a foreign language. Sorry.
  • No second page with quotations, either.
  • No dramatis personae, i.e. no page telling us who the characters are and what they're like. If we don't understand that from the script, we won't understand it from the movie.
  • First page starts with FADE IN. Don't repeat name of script or screenwriter.
  • Margins are 1.5 inches left, 1.00 inches right (to account for the three-hole punch).
  • Sluglines take the form INT. JOE'S STORE -- BACK ROOM -- DAY or EXT. GRASSY FIELD -- NIGHT (STORM). No underlining.
  • Descriptive text is 60 characters (about 6 inches) wide.
  • Character names are all caps, centered over dialog, or indented. (I use centering. It used to be verboten, but everyone has computers now, even if the style is to pretend you don't.) Parentheticals are centered over dialog.
  • Dialog is 30 characters, or about 3 inches, wide.

Originally Posted by FiLm Fr3aK
I am surprised it didn't go that route with as many people in this forum that claim to be writing.
Those who can't do teach.

If someone's writing a screenplay, then they're simply not going to have the time [or need] to discuss how they're doing it with others.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Those who can't do teach.
And those that are unhappy with themselves criticize and belittle anyone they can, to make themselves feel better.

Really SB, no one ‘erks’ me as much as you do. I certainly hope you aren’t as negative on people in real life as you APPEAR to be on here. I don’t know what your deal is, and frankly I don’t care. What I do care about is how you disrespect me (and anyone else you deem not worthy)

I thought this thread was a good idea. I was happy to see posts in it again, since I don’t know anyone else who is a writer of ANY type I thought this forum would be a good stomping ground to talk shop, bounce ideas ect…. Much to my disappointment, I find the thread isn’t being used to discuss ANY aspect of film. Instead it’s you tramping on someone else.

If you don’t have interest in the thread, that’s YOUR personal opinion, but don’t trash talk those who do….

Whatever.

You said you wondered why more people hadn't replied. I answered. People who are actively writing most probably don't have the time to engage in lengthy discussion as to how they're doing it. Others probably don't believe their methods are of particular interest. And some just don't think it can be taught.

What? You want me to copy and paste a whole heap of articles on how to overcome writers block or break into Hollywood? Sorry, but I don't think that's really going to teach you much of anything, let alone "how to write a screenplay".

The only way to learn about screenwriting is to stop talking about writing screenplays and start writing screenplays.

And if that "erks" you, FiLm Fr3aK, I couldn't care less.

I really, really couldn't.

Originally Posted by FiLm Fr3aK
Ok so I have an idea for a movie, I even bought a program called Final Draft 5 (that helps format a script) and a program called Story Craft, (that well.. duh.. helps format a story)

Anyway:
my trouble is I have about 180 pages of handwritten scribbled, jumbled up ideas and notes for scenes ect.. nothing is in any kind of order, or actually written. Its just ideas.

How in the hell do I organize it, to get it into one of these programs.

I mean I see it all plainly as he!! i my head. And I see the scribbles and know what they are for and where they should be.. but how do I get it all where YOU... the reader/viewer would understand it?

Are there some classes I could take that would better my writing abilities. a friend recommended drama, but I have no desire to learn how to ACT... freaking writing it, maybe helping it get made, but acting nu-uh....

what should I do?

Hi i have the same problem as you and i suggest that you ought to check out books or buy books on how to write a screenplay and how to organize ideas for a screenplay so that if you have all these jumbled up ideas then the books might help you to organize them in your head and then to your paper and it was a good idea to get that program.So once you had gotten your ideas organized the program will help you to organize them out on to paper.

Originally Posted by moviecrazy13
Hi i have the same problem as you and i suggest that you ought to check out books or buy books on how to write a screenplay and how to organize ideas for a screenplay so that if you have all these jumbled up ideas then the books might help you to organize them in your head and then to your paper and it was a good idea to get that program.So once you had gotten your ideas organized the program will help you to organize them out on to paper.