Signs

→ in
Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
How many threads can be destroyed in a small amount of time?

I know, right?! I mean there's all those ones with you and Raz and all those ones with you and Ladies Man...

I mean there's all those ones with you and Raz and all those ones with you and Ladies Man...
I know.

I was literally asking a question, how many can we destroy? I mean I have a good idea of my thread destroying capabilities. The question is; can we break the record?

Myself and Kently were having a good time with Ladies Man. It was a very funny time, a very funny place...

Now With Moveable Parts
Mattly...'member the "Ladies Man PM"?? What in the hell was rotting in that kid's brain?

No one delivered a tremendous performance in this movie, good grief. The movie had a quiet soundtrack and no payoff after the spooky parts, that's what kept you on the edge of your seat. That wasn't genius. Imagine this, you are in the recording studio, the sound guy asks you, what kind of music would you like here? Spooky. Okay, how about here? Mm.. well nothing has happened so.. spooky. And now? Spooky. Now? Spooky I guess.
The quiet soundtrack is a result of nothing happening. You can't have a big crescendo if nothing happens.

Also, I didn't believe that annoying kid was his son for a second.
So anyway, what was the theme Yoda? Signs, Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, aren't they supposed to have something in common?

No, they're not. You asked be before and I explained it then.

The Sixth Sense is seperate. Unbreakable was the first in a trilogy and dealt with finding your purpose (though The Sixth Sense had a similar message).Signs dealt with something similar, though it was more about finding your Faith/beliefs. The third will likely have the same sort of message.

As for music: obviousy you weren't listening. It wasn't just "spooky." That's like saying "all you do is play the guitar." Well, there are a million ways to go about it. Some of it was fast-paced and exciting and also spooky. Some of it was slow. Some of it was ominous.

But hey, if you feel comfortable labeling it all under "spooky," be my guest.

I still don't know how you fail to see any "payoff," though, unless by payoff you mean "a hyper-climactic blow-up-the-mothership battle," in which case, I think you were projecting other alien movies onto this one.

Sunfrog, nothing you say has any credibility to me...

If you can't see something in something, for example: enjoyment in Signs, that's fine, slam it all you will, but you don't seem to be listening to a word anyone else is even saying, and that's just plain ignorant.

Ooooh! So what's the third movie gonna be then? M Night eating a sandwich and everyone calling him a genius because he ate the crust first? lol. J/k

What's the third movie gonna be?

Yeah I would call it all 'spooky.' I didn't hear any banjos playing.
Lack of payoff means, you build suspense then nothing happens like a big scare or a funny moment to break the tension.

Mel wakes up (ominous music) then he makes a sandwich (ominous music) then opens the fridge for milk (ominous music) and gets a glass. He looks out the kitchen window (ominous music) then drinks his milk and eats his sandwich. (ominous music)

See, nothing happened to release the tension. He didn't cut himself with the knife, there wasn't a head in the fridge, he didn't see anything outside, someone wasn't behind him when he turned around, his daughter didn't come in and make a funny joke. It was very suspenseful but after a while you figure out nothing's gonna happen and your mind wanders to the secondary story about his wife. We all know Mel likes to put the womenfolk in his movies so the females in the audience can identify with them and he can make a PC statement. Like, that girl in The Patriot or his wife in We Were Soldiers, they could have easily been written out of the story. They didn't need to be there at all. So then you watch the scenes with his wife and say to yourself, why do I have to sit through this, just get on with the movie. The movie is about
WARNING: "signs" spoilers below
a priest who loses his faith because his wife dies in a car accident, then he sees an alien and regains his faith because if his son hadn't had asthma, and the alien didn't squirt poisonous gas, and if his son wasn't baseball slugger boy, etc..
He could have told the same story without aliens, just substitute something else. The aliens could have been a plague of locust they didn't have to be aliens. If it's gonna have aliens in it the aliens should do cool alien stuff like fly ships, or maybe it was the alien who lost his faith then he sees an Earthman. Something. Anything. If the story you want to tell is about faith then why have aliens in it at all? Aliens are for alien movies, that's it.

A novel adaptation.
Are you nuts!?

I mean, jesus, man, you can dislike Signs all you want, but you seem to be doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Mel wakes up (ominous music) then he makes a sandwich (ominous music) then opens the fridge for milk (ominous music) and gets a glass. He looks out the kitchen window (ominous music) then drinks his milk and eats his sandwich. (ominous music)
This, in case you were wondering, was why everyone praised M. Knight for this movie. The story is about normal people, and the happenings in the story, are supposed to seem like they could happen. Still, something strange and eery is going on in this town, thus, the ominous music. In making it realistic, Shyamalan did something that I respected him for, he didn't pander to the impatient idiots in the audience. If he did have, as you put it, "a head in the fridge", or something similar, it would have destroyed the entire movie, a cheap thrill like that would detract from the story, but also be extremely unbeleivable.

As for letting nothing break the suspense, this is another thing that I praise the movie for. The keyword when describing this film, or what Shyamalan was shooting for is... suspenseful .

Yeah I would call it all 'spooky.' I didn't hear any banjos playing.
Lack of payoff means, you build suspense then nothing happens like a big scare or a funny moment to break the tension.
Had he broken the suspense every five minutes, like the average piece of action crap, the movie could e described much differently, specifically.... stilted, and half-assed.

I respect every decision M Night Shyamalan made in this film, so if you're going to be a Signs malcontent, at least do it in sych a way that you don't state what are obviusly poorly thought-over arguments against it.

I suggest sticking with making fun of the child actors, they generally have a bad rap, I'm sure that you can play off of that.

The fact that you simply and arrogantly refuse to give any credit [or any logical critisism, at least] to a movie that went out and made an effort, asking questions and requiring its audience to think makes me wonder about your level of intelligence, Sunfrog. Sorry.

You better like it, or we'll HATE YOU!!!

~sheesh~
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A novel adaptation.
I'm not arguing because I hate him for not liking the movie, but because his stated reasons for not liking the movie, were the exact things that I thought were brilliant about it.
I apologize if I went a little overboard, but I'll stand by my post.

A novel adaptation.
well, ummm... I was only kidding too.

heh...