Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Everybody Knows (2018) by Asghar Farhadi

My fifth film by Asghar Farhadi was a bit of a disappointment. I might have changed as a viewer, but i actually loved the hyped A Separation from 2011, but with Everbody Knows i fell set back to a generic psychological drama from Hollywood. All in all it fell too constructed with in my opinion to much drama and plot twists.

Recommended if you are into genre films

The Girl On The Train (Tate Taylor, 2016)
+
Part of me wishes she'd started taking the bus instead to be honest

+
She can sit next to me .

She can sit next to me .
You do know she absolutely reeks of alcohol

You do know she absolutely reeks of alcohol
She's not fooling anyone – it's all just an act .

High and Dizzy

My introduction to Harold Lloyd was in The Freshman which I didn't make it through so I figured I'd give one of his shorter films a run. This was decent. Harold Llloyd stumbles around drunk for awhile and eventually follows a sleepwalking woman out onto the ledge of a hotel and that's it.
I never saw this short by Lloyd. I'll have to check it out. But judging from the poster picture, this may be where he got the idea for his iconic Safety Last (1923) a couple of years later, which is one of his best. That's the one where he's seemingly hanging off the hands of a big clock 7 stories above the street.

Haven't seen The Freshman either, although the description doesn't sound too fascinating. But I think you'd like Safety Last. Hope so, anyway.

~Doc

Souls for Sale (1923)

-

Newlyweds on a train; the gal has bad vibes so she takes off. She was right because hubby is a murderer of woman for their dough. She ends up on the set of a movie, and her new Hollywood career becomes the main focus of the movie, but never forget about hubby. This was a fun 90 minutes with some cool cameos including by Charlie Chaplin. I like stories that incorporate the movie business and this was a good one. There's a great copy on YouTube. I found this on Ebert's great movies list.

Dragged Across Concrete

Us

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

+

'Christmas in August' (1998)

Directed by Jin-ho Hur

Yet another Korean drama. This one is highly regarded among many critics as being one of the finest Korean films of all time, and I can see why.

The film centres around Jung Won, a terminally ill man determined to enjoy his last moments of life. What we see is very minimalistic, with no obvious pointers as to needless melodramatic moments. Instead, Director Jin-ho Hur just uses simple short scenes and slices of time to convey Jung Won's love for Da-rim - a girl who appears in his life. The two share casual moments, no big sweeping love scenes. They don't even declare their feelings for each other - but we see the pain Jung Won is feeling, a couple of times in the movie. He tells nobody of his condition. He just wants to try and be good to people and enjoy the rest of his time. And the way Da-rim helps with this is very moving.

The first half is almost glacial in pace, but all the while showing the viewer how Jung Won is preparing and coping. There's barely a word uttered in the last 15 minutes of the film, yet it is heart-aching in it's beauty, and what is left unspoken is brilliantly played out on screen. It's a love story in essence, but it's also about death and closure.

This film won't be for everybody, due to it's pacing, sparse dialogue and vagueness. But it ends up being a really rewarding 90 minutes and a must watch for any fan of Asian cinema.

7.8/10

Welcome to the human race...
Godzilla: King of the Monsters -

the kind of movie that starts by saying there's nothing like Ghidorah in recorded human history/mythology and then eventually starts referring to him as a hydra

the kind of movie that starts by saying there's nothing like Ghidorah in recorded human history/mythology and then eventually starts referring to him as a hydra

I've got free IMAX tickets do you think the film is elevated by seeing it in IMAX

Weekend re-watches:

Few of the teen movies from the 80's so accurately captured real teen angst the way this one did...Blaine, Andy, and Duckie also clocked in at #1 on my favorite romantic triangles list. Annie Potts steals every scene she's in.

This movie turns 40 next year and it still makes me laugh out loud...my favorite Goldie Hawn performance.

Woody Allen's dark tale of lust, betrayal, and self-preservation is one of his edgiest films. An ugly story mounted on a gorgeous canvas...the on location photography is gorgeous and don't be distracted by the British accents...these are the same twisted characters that you expect from the Woodmeister often doing serious dirt. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is effectively cast against type and I think this is Scarlett Johansson's best performance. This one actually gets me angry and the ending is a real ballbreaker, but it's absolutely riveting. Woody's Oscar-nominated screenplay is one of his best.

All creatures here below (2018)

Affecting tale of a couple who love each other but seem on a downward spiral. Realistic and well written but, dare I say it, not that original. Another slight moan is that the back stories were not fleshed out enough (that could be as we only should see them as they see each other, I dunno).

David Dastmalchian's expressions give me the fear!

How silly. They never thought to just say he's like a mythological hydra from the outset. Gigan was my favourite in the original films .