Neill Blomkamp Remaking Robocop

Tools    

RoboCop 3 was heavily influenced by the TV series tbh.
Even with Nancy Allen and Robert DoQui returning, I don't really see it as an official RoboCop movie... it's more an extension of the TV show.

At least RoboCop 2 was half decent. If Weller is back they can't disregard RoboCop 2.
It'll be sad if Hacky McBumkrap totally disregards RoboCop 2 imho.
I liked RoboCop 2. The kid hanging with the bad guys was really good. The bad guy who becomes "Robocop 2" was great, too.

The movie overall was cheesy, funny, and good fun.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Yeah, RoboCop 2 is surprisingly good for a sequel, and a sequel to a Verhoeven movie too for that matter.

Ever seen the Starship Troopers sequels? Or Basic Instinct 2?
Ugh.

Written by Frank Miller (who also played a role in the movie), though the finished movie gladly swayed from his vision a lot of the time (his original script was garbage tbh)... and Kershner has a knack for making decent sequels.
Ok, so 2 isn't as hard edged as the original, and they had to tone the gore down to something that looked more comicbook but this was down to the first film being a hit with kids... but the action is definitely on par if not better than the first movie.
Solid cast too with the additions of Tom Noonan, Galyn Gorg, Tzi Ma, Wanda De Jesus, Mark Rolston, with John Glover making a cameo too.
And I totally agree about the kid. Gabriel Damien's "Hob" was a really good addition. Made a decent angle to the bad guys.

Yeah, but Stallone is 72 and he's back as both Rocky and Rambo. Arnold is 72 and he's back as T-1000. Peter obviously belongs to the same league of old badasses who refuse to age
I admit that I have no idea about Weller's current physical condition. Stallone's probably in decent condition still but Arnold should retire (he looks like an old man now, not an action star). I'm just afraid it's going to be a stuntman in the suit and Weller's face added with CGI or something.
Don't knock stuntmen...they're amazing.

The thread title is rather misleading if this is actually a sequel to the original rather than yet another remake.
So they're completely neglecting the remake?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Yes. As of now this is a sequel to the Verhoeven movie.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, he said the same thing a few months back and that was already linked on the previous page. I think this should wait until there's actually something substantial to report like Weller actually agreeing to return.

Yeah, he said the same thing a few months back and that was already linked on the previous page. I think this should wait until there's actually something substantial to report like Weller actually agreeing to return.
The date of the report is January 23 so I figured it was new.

I sure hope Weller signs on. I mean I doubt he's got something better to do considering he's been out of the limelight since Robocop 2.

Eh, I'm not so sure. He did more or less quit movies to be an academic so I can understand him not taking his acting career too seriously these days, though I guess he did show up in Star Trek Into Darkness a while back so you never know.

This might just do nobody any good.
I think it’s been said here already that Robocop wouldn’t be much strain on Weller anyways. You just need him for some close-ups without the top of the helmet.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Weller peaked as Batman. Next.

So they're completely neglecting the remake?
The remake is ****e, there i said it

The date of the report is January 23 so I figured it was new.

I sure hope Weller signs on. I mean I doubt he's got something better to do considering he's been out of the limelight since Robocop 2.
No he s done a couple of films, like leviathan xd lol, mind the sarcasm

I think it’s been said here already that Robocop wouldn’t be much strain on Weller anyways. You just need him for some close-ups without the top of the helmet.

He had the movement down though.
Weller's miming and the work he put into the character's gait is the only reason the concept even worked.

Sure they could get some stunt man involved and maybe CGI the mouth to look right... but it wouldn't be the same.

I think they'd probably need to have Weller's RoboCop die or go out of commission and they have to build a new one.

Actually, maybe the route of having an S on the title could work in that respect...

Neill Blomkamp's RoboCops (2020).

Abe Forsythe, son of satirical Aussie actor Drew Forsythe, is now directing.

Abe's known for directing a controversial black comedy based on the 2005 Cronulla Riots called Down Under, and acting in a handful of parody movies when he was a child.
He's also acted in a couple satirical stage plays when he was a kid.

The only directing credit I can find is 2019's Little Monsters which went under the radar, and got mixed reactions.

Things are not looking good.

Doesn't really make much sense to give something like RoboCop to a complete nobody... whose only experience is the fact that their dad has acted in a handful of satirical movies.

Isn't that just standard practice for franchise films nowadays? That you pick an up-and-coming director who just needs to point a camera at characters talking while the second unit takes care of the actual action? That certainly sums up Colin Trevorrow making the jump from a low-budget indie like Safety Not Guaranteed to a blockbuster sequel like Jurassic World. At least with the remake it made sense to get the guy who made the Elite Squad movies because he at least had a history with directing police movies that managed to include both action and at least some criticism of the police as an institution (even if that didn't ultimately translate into the remake being a good movie).

In any case, I have seen Down Under and Little Monsters. The former is a fairly decent little black comedy - think along the lines of Four Lions - that would imply that Forsythe could handle the satirical bent that really makes RoboCop what it is. On the other hand, I thought Little Monsters was an atrocious excuse for a quirky zombie comedy (imagine Life is Beautiful but it's a teacher convincing her class that a zombie outbreak is just part of a game they're all playing) that doesn't manage to be fun or poignant or razor-sharp or anything you'd hope from either a zombie movie or a RoboCop movie. It might actually be the worst zombie movie I've ever seen and that's saying something. So yeah, that definitely makes the news worse.